Trusted Contributor

Question about what to wear to my sons wedding?

My son is getting married next month and I don't know what kind of dress to wear.  The brides mom is wearing a navy blue formal type.  Is it ok if I wear a nice dress that isn't really formal? Also what is a good color to get? The wedding colors are gray and maroon. I have seen many navy ones I like but I don't think it would be a good idea to wear the same color as her mom. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about what to wear to my sons wedding?

ASK THE BRIDE.   That's the only good answer.  It gives you a chance to get to know her. 

Super Contributor

If it's a formal wedding, yes you should also wear a formal dress.  I can't imagine the brides mother wearing a formal dress if it isn't a formal wedding, follow her lead.  There are many beautiful colors to pick from that would compliment the brides mothers dress and the colors choosen for the wedding.  Mauve, light blue, light gray, pale yellow, all depending on your own coloring of course.  Hopefully this is a once in a life time occasion for your son and his fiance, and if they want formal go formal.

Super Contributor

@isaboo wrote:

My son is getting married next month and I don't know what kind of dress to wear.  The brides mom is wearing a navy blue formal type.  Is it ok if I wear a nice dress that isn't really formal? Also what is a good color to get? The wedding colors are gray and maroon. I have seen many navy ones I like but I don't think it would be a good idea to wear the same color as her mom. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

My daughter got married this past April; my dress was a silver satin gown & the grooms mother also got a silver tone  sparkly dress.. My daughter didn't mind; rather my daughter asked me if I minded that his mother had a similar color dress.. For me, it didn't matter because the dresses were completely different in fabric, style & design.. My daughter's bridesmaid color was blush..

Like @Sooner  suggested ask the bride..

Contributor

Paula Deen jokes that the role of the mother of the groom is to wear beige and not say anything. 

Both of my stepsons have gotten married.  To one wedding I wore a black dress, to the other I wore Paula Deen beige. 

I found a beautiful blouse on the "cold creek" store website, sheer fabric with an understated pattern woven into it, with a collar & cuffs & button front & matching tank, that I wore with a long simple beige skirt with beige accessories.  It looked "formal" without a "formal" pricetag.  I recently wore the same outfit to a family funeral.  Lots of compliments each time, and I felt both elegant and appropriately dressed. 

I would recommend that you follow the lead of the mother of the bride and dress "formally".  What a great idea to ask the bride what she would recommend.  Think about how you will look in the photographs.  You want to blend in and not stand out.   A color in the range of the wedding colors would probably be appropriate, something in the gray or silver family, or something in the maroon family (although maroon is not burgundy is not wine .... that could be tricky).  Is it Texas A&M maroon?  Really, navy is not a bad option.  It might balance the colors in the photos. 

A lovely classic dress is something you could wear again. 

Congratulations to you, your son & his bride-to-be!

May you have many years of love & blessings & happy memories!  And sweet grandbabies .... they're the best!

Super Contributor

@SuperShopper: You wrote such a lovely post; I just had to comment on it..

Trusted Contributor

I know how stressful it is trying to find something for the wedding. I would chose something that you feel good in and is comfortable and that would coordinate nicely with the color that the bride's mother is wearing. Then you will look perfect, formal or not. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@isaboo   I would not wear Navy like the mother's bride.  Gray is a really good color but it is also important to wear a color that compliments you and your skin tone.  Check out Lord & Taylor online.  They have loads of dresses and prices.  I am sure you could wear an after five look just below the knee if you prefer to not wear a gown to the floor.  Check with your son and see if you need to speak with the bride.

Eliza J on sale for $208.50 from $278 at Lord & Taylor online.  Strappy pewter shoes would look nice.  Plus is you go to the website and use magnify you will see how very pretty this dress is.

Product image

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Here is a dress from Nordstrom.  Alex Evening.  $219

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@isaboo @Katcat1  This dress or something similar would get my vote...something formal but not too formal...I like the design and the lace give it a special touch...perfect for a wedding!!!