Honored Contributor

Never experienced that when ironing.  BTW, I hate ironing.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Slightly O/T, but we used to iron pillowcases and Dad's boxer shorts!!!

Eventually Mom had to hire an "ironing lady" (Mom worked) when things got out-of-hand.

I personally do not own any ironing nor steaming apparatus.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I iron every day and do not put water in the iron I  spray my clothes first....I was tired of my iron spitting....even the Rowenta had that issue.

Honored Contributor

I never added water to my iron at all that's whats so weird.

Clean item , clean ironing board cover, clean iron no water or starches ever used and then here comes thru marks appearing like magic on the cloth.

Then, I have to stop and scrub on the mark sometimes have to put back in washer under rinse and spin cycle.  I think it's something in the fabric really do.

Honored Contributor

I don't know.  I might have know years ago but with modern fabrics, there's no need to iron anything if you hang things up when they come out of the dryer.  Yes, even cottons.  Other some napkins at Christmas, I can't tell you when I last ironed something.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't know.  I might have know years ago but with modern fabrics, there's no need to iron anything if you hang things up when they come out of the dryer.  Yes, even cottons.  Other some napkins at Christmas, I can't tell you when I last ironed something.

@chrystaltree 

I like to run an iron over my clothes.  They are "wearable" out of the dryer but I think they look better when ironed.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think the grease spots have anything to do with your iron.  I know that I notice previously unseen spots when I iron and I think it's because I have better lighting where I iron and the garment is easier to examine because it is laying out flat.

I agree about Dawn dishwashing detergent.  It is a fantastic degreaser.  It often takes out spots that have previously been washed and dried because they were not noticed.   

I love to iron.  I like my clothes to have a smooth finish.  

Respected Contributor

Oh, another excuse I can use for never ironing!  I do not own an iron or ironing board - my dryer is my iron - I put items in the dryer just a few minutes with other wet items, and presto, chango, take items out and no wrinkles!  It's magic!  I have also used the plastic dryer balls with the foam inside.  Wet the foam and toss the ball in with wrinkled clothes and no more wrinkles.  I do this with clothes that have wrinkled from being stored for the season.

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Don't have water in the iron and my tops I just put in dryer on no heat cycle do have fabric softener sheets in there maybe that's what's causing those spots that just materialize out of nowhere when you lay your iron down on the top.

I think it's something in the clothes they're making now days.

@SharkE  It’s definitely the fabric sheets. I had that problem and stopped using them. No more spots. You might have to wipe out your dryer with a damp cloth to get rid of the old dryer sheet residue. When it heats up it can leave an oily film. You will probably have to start using water in your iron as the fabric in your clothes might not release wrinkles as easily. I think you are in a hard water area, but hopefully you can get by without a fabric softener.

Honored Contributor

Oh yeah I'm on water well (ran by electricity) We installed whole house water filter to get rid of the sand, grit and even small rock that was in the country .

Hard to believe , but, down here in Tx in the country suburbs even in the nicer areas where I live when you build your house you'll never have a water bill because they come out and drill down 300 ft install pipes and electric big cables all down in a small 2 inch diameter pipe that the top is the only thing visible above ground.

When I moved to Tx I said "what's a water well"? LOL The water was horrible, tasted ok, but, left sand, gritty stuff in your tub, shower, in commode

tanks, etc.   I had whole house water filter people come out and install filter to get rid of the gunk in the water. I took the contract and pay them 30 a month to bring out salt pellets and put in big ol' bin and set it up.

I don't know how folks live here without one , no more sand in your hair after you shampoo. Cost about 3500 at the time but they maintain it for me since I pay the 30 a month for them to handle it. LOL

I'm gonna buy new iroining board cover Mon. Guess I'll stick my fabric sheets up my bun   LOL Stuff is stiff without them !