Honored Contributor

It is a thing where I live, as is apple picking.  But I doubt anyone gives much thought to their outfits when they go out to do these activities.  I just wear whatever I would wear for light gardening.  

Something comfortable and easily washable, as you might get dirty.  

Valued Contributor

I love to hear PUMPKIN PICKING. It reminds me of fall. I am retired and my husband and I always go out picking up pumpkins, not where they are growing but at one of the many places they sell pumpkins of all shapes and sizes. I put them out on our porch and enjoy them for a couple of months.

Respected Contributor

Uh Oh.. ..the floodgates in the QVC section of my mind have been triggered!!!!

Here are my favorite ( YIKES!!! NOT!!) tropes and "corn-ball-isms" that QVC uses to death...

Let's play CornBall bingo!! grab your card and your oversized markers...here goes.....:

1) "the red truck" from yesteryear ( 1950 actually...if you rode in one as a "child" of say, 7, you'd be 77 years old today. The Truck would be a rusty moldy mess, with mice liviing in the engine compartment, mildewed seats and no oil in the crankcase).Unless it's restored, and then you can bet no one will let you put a sappy old tree from a ride in the ice and mud in the woods in that baby.....

2) Snoopy. The 1960s dog that wasn't even that much or cute in the 1960s. Today's kids don't even know what a Snoopy is, unless they think it's a rap singer.

3) The "Gift Closet" . Nuf said. I have a 55" LED TV, a margarita-maker, and a Sleep Number bed in mine ( and they haven't shown them in YEARS). I can't get anyone to take them!!! ( they told me it was OK to order two of them...one for me, one for the closet...)

4) ANYTHING "glitter". or "mercury glass" or ANY figurine or chothkee that tries to hit all the saccharine buttons....in other words... Chinese made Americana resin Santa with a scene in his dress ( Jim Shore), Light up glittery domes of cornball cuteness from How the Family Was BEFORE Dad found a girlfriend and Mom started hitting the bottle at 9am but they barely held it together for Christmas morning)...or ANY resin, oversized, dimpled, overlit, garish colored "Figure" with a Tempations-like look to it ( the ubiquitous reindeer, elf, snowman, or santa) with silly names.....

5) 900 dollar Christmas trees for your 15 foot ceiling foyer ( this on in addition to the other ones in every room, all covered with "picks", roll up elf legs, gigantic gaudy toppers that move, glow and change color, and 5000 C7 lights that look just like the "hot ones" you remember from 1950 ( now that you're 77 years old!!!)

6)Ham and Turkey and Lobster and Roast Beef that you MUST have to serve your 400 guests, for "only" 200. dollars a peice on easy pay!! Add some 2LB sides made with 5 cents worth of potatoes or spinach or sweet potato culls, in some kind of starch sauce, for 35 dollars a peice, and your guest will think you cooked all day ( or that you're on the way to the poor house!!!)  Eight lobsters ONLY 425 dollars....who could resist!?!?!?

7) about the ONLY thing I haven't seen this year ( yet) is that electronic game with the big dots with hosts fake giggling trying to make them light up....SUCH FUN FOR THE KIDS...only 25 dollars!!! ( for the kids in the corner glued to thier 1000 dollar I-phone with data plan, who have NO IDEA what Snoopy, the red truck or the 200 dollar roast beef  is supposed to signify..it sure ain't thier idea of Christmas.....They want top dollar makeup, artificial Intel headsets, or a Tesla ...what's this "Christmas" anyway and when will Door Dash get here with the pizza I just ordered from my phone? I don't like ham.

Pumpkin patching and cutting down a tree on a tree farm? NO WAY. Gotta check the influencers and how many "likes" I got on my favorite Social Media site today.

Gosh I love watching QVC....best cornball entertainment out there!!!

Valued Contributor

Re: Pumpkin Patching???

[ Edited ]

I'm growing giant pumpkins. Will pick em when ready in my sweats! I'm just an 68 year old grandma. Grow them my grand babies. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I'd wear the oldest items I had, 'ya know like what I would wear to paint a room!  LOL!!!

@ECBG   You're right! Pumpkins grow on the ground in the dirt.  Pick one up and you're bound to get filthy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen 

May I vote to "being sick of the red truck"?  It was a darling idea run into the dirt over night!  Retail totally ruined the charm of the red truck by over exposure.  I bought 1 pkg of cocktail napkins, and before the year was out couldn't even stand the term "red truck".

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Anytime you want to come to Outfit Of, weve taken some hits by nasties.  A positive poster is always a breath of fresh air.

Esteemed Contributor

We look forward to an annual ride to a large and I would say fantastic place up in Amherst MA that started off many years ago as a farm stand.  They sell everything - pumpkins, mums, have their own bakery, all types of gourmet foods, big selections of fruit and veggies, nice fall decor, etc.  We love their cider donuts and hot spiced cider.

And no, I don’t plan on a themed outfit to wear.  If anyone likes themed clothing for all seasons, good for them.  If it makes someone happy, why should anybody care?  

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

We look forward to an annual ride to a large and I would say fantastic place up in Amherst MA that started off many years ago as a farm stand.  They sell everything - pumpkins, mums, have their own bakery, all types of gourmet foods, big selections of fruit and veggies, nice fall decor, etc.  We love their cider donuts and hot spiced cider.

And no, I don’t plan on a themed outfit to wear.  If anyone likes themed clothing for all seasons, good for them.  If it makes someone happy, why should anybody care?  

Sounds nice, and similar to the one I live by. I don't think OP has any beef with anyone enjoying those fall things. It's just the overuse of the "you can wear this to the pumpkin patch" that is used so often, and has been forever. But...I guess it's the only thing, that and "apple picking" they can think of that is quintessentially "fall." 

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

This sounds very much like my neck or the woods, just up north of this area. It's more about the experience and the nice things we bring home with us.  Not so much about what we wear.