Respected Contributor

Never have been to a pumpkin patch. But, I manage to throw a few pumpkins in my basket at my local HEB grocery store. And, I love detailed pumpkin carving. 

So I'm pro pumpkin and a little jealous of those who can visit 'patches,' while enjoying their fall activities. But, I'm pretty sure there isn't a dress code :-).

Hosts' mentioning apple picking and pumpkin patch activities are simply implanting a positive message of anticipation, which of course, urges us to prepare and purchase.  I love Fall, can't hear enough about it, so it's not unwelcome for me, and many others. 

Valued Contributor

@amyb  love your post...I was just thinking about who would buy a $180 pair of boots to wear to a pumpkin patch...

Respected Contributor

Re: Pumpkin Patching???

[ Edited ]

I live in Illinois.  We are the leading producer of pumpkins in the country!

They are all transported to Morton, Illinois and canned at the Libby cannery.

I see pumpkin patches all the time and drive past them.  The fields near my neighborhood were pumpkins last year, but are corn this year.  Could be soybeans next year.🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I just wear my normal clothes around the pumpkin patch, no special dressing required!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited to correct my poor grammar 😳

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

Not too far from where QVC headquarters is located, and also not too far where I live, is a place called Linvilla Orchards.  There are many fun activities for families.  It has everything already described in this thread pertaining to hayrides, pumpkin and other fruit picking, fresh apple cider, baked goods, Halloween fun, etc.  Everyone around my area knows about Linvilla orchards and it is probably on the minds of the QVC hosts as the epitome of Autumn and they use this in their selling schtick.  Last year I remember Jayne specifically mentioning it. Haven't been there since my son was a child.  The term does get overused but doesn't bother me because it invokes happy memories, which I guess is the intention.  In regards to selling fashion, what does get on my nerves is the repeated use of the word transition.

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA I live in NYC too, but there are tons of pumpkin, apple and other farm stand type places in Westchester, Bergen County and Fairfield, not too far away, assuming one has a car. We go all the time and really love it. 

Respected Contributor

I can't believe how vexed this makes people. Much ado about nothing ...

Respected Contributor

I go to one every October with a group I belong to.  Hay rack ride, cookout, games for kids set up in kids zone and all kinds of pumpkins, gourds and that sort of thing.  They have a shop as well where you can buy dips, sauces, wine and that sort of thing.  Fun and  grandkids look forward to it.

I do not buy a special outfit for this but I do dress fall like.  I just pick something out that I already have in my closet.  I do buy clothes for certain events that I attend but not something I can only wear once.  

I think when you have younger kids you do more of these types of activities.  Just like the apple orchards.  We have other pumpkin farms around where I live as well.

The hosts have to say something about the clothes they are showing.  I do get a kick out of the places they come up with sometimes.  I think wow they are on the go.  

This morning I am putting on my special outfit to clean the house and mow the yard!

Esteemed Contributor

Pumpkin patching around here is jeans and sweatshirts...

Trusted Contributor

You can hear the staff meeting when it's being discussed what the new hype will be.  Obviously the past two weeks it was pumpkin patching, so now every host is mentioning everything pumpkin.  i didn't realize I needed a new outfit for my fall outings.  Silly me.  Thanks for the reminder, QVC.  I'm on it.  

Honored Contributor

There are many apple orchards and pumpkin patches that have events and activities for the public, especially children.  The big one near me advertises that there are 14 acres of pumpkins of all sizes and types.  You choose your pumpkin.  They sell baked goods and apple cider and there are some farm animals.  It's nice outing for a Fall day.  However, certain no one gets all dressed up to for that.  It's jeans sneakers.