Esteemed Contributor
On 3/31/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/31/2015 brii said:

Sleeveless Lace Applique Gown 24551

this is my daughter's prom dress. She looks gorgeous in it.

Beautiful! Everything is well covered yet contemporary fashion for 2015. Bri, I hope you take lots of pictures!!

It is beautiful but too mature for a HS student (I have a HS teen daughter). It's fine for "dancing with the stars"!

Super Contributor
On 3/28/2015 sciencegeek said:

A woman, even a young one, should wear exactly what she pleases. It's not up to strangers to dictate what is "appropriate".

I dare you to test this theory out on your next job interview. If you are not hired, maybe you can raise some "holy heck"! **eye roll**
~~~ So many handbags....so few hands ~~~

Honored Contributor

It's been awhile but I've chaperoned numerous proms. There were a few occasions girls were turned away for lack of coverage or illusion of nudity. I also remember an incident where a boy was not admitted because he wore shorts with a tuxedo jacket.

My feeling is if there is a possibility attire (on any occasion) is pushing the boundaries of the guidelines, go with something else.

Super Contributor

No, we are not ok with our daughter showing so much skin. That seems to be the style this season. Our daughter is a H.S. senior this year, and we have had a heck of a time finding the perfect prom dress. Her school has a dress code and sent home a guide illustrating acceptable prom attire. Cut-outs below the natural bust line, even if covered in mesh, are not acceptable. Basically, the girls have to be covered front and back, from the bust to 3 inches above their knees.

We have been looking for a few months. Every time we would find one that she liked, the back would be open, the colors were too pale, or her size would be gone. She is tall, so the short dresses were too short for her, and not really her style. We even watched EBay. We finally gave up and ordered one custom made, online, from JJ's House. We were so nervous about doing that, but went for it anyway. We just received it last week. It's beautiful. Fits her perfectly and is one of a kind. She tried it on and cried all day, she was so happy with it. Smiley Happy It took about 3 weeks from order to delivery. I highly recommend them for custom made dresses.

Trusted Contributor

I""ve bought a few gowns with my daughter. I also was a high school teacher. There are far more appropriate prom dresses than hoochie momma styles. Over the years I've seen enough ladies try to dance in strapless or low cut dresses only to find they spent much of their time pulling them up.

No I would not have allowed my daughter to wear an over revealing dress. I am also not fond of illusion dresses. So many of them look like figure skating outfits with that weird flesh color that doesn't match anyone's skin tone. It reminds me of Supphose support stockings my grandmother wore.

Comparing a prom dress and beach attire is ridiculous. Of course there is a lot of exposed skin on the beach. That doesn't make it okay to expose similar amounts at your school prom.

Honored Contributor
On 3/31/2015 missy1 said:
On 3/31/2015 muttmom said:
On 3/31/2015 brii said:

Wow

Based on discussions I heard recently at the hair salon, this would not be allowed at the local public school prom.

Same here. Is that skin tone mesh, or her skin?

This is EXACTLY the type of dress that is banned at Delone Catholic School in Pennsylvania. It is made to look like too much skin is showing, even though the wearer is covered up.

The school is requiring a photo of the dress BEFORE prom tickets can be sold. So, if your dress is not approved, you won't be able to buy tickets.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/31/2015 brii said:

This dress is beautiful but a little "mature" for a prom. Just my feeling. It's a dress for a woman, not a girl. I can honestly say I wouldn't let my daughter wear this but again, that's just me. I'd wear it to a formal event any day.
Trusted Contributor

While styles have changed and will change again and again, I can assure you that not all girls wear prom dresses with huge cut-outs that expose large expanses of bare skin. Not all girls want to wear such dresses, and not all parents or all schools permit them.

I am not interested in dressing teenage girls for a nunnery, but I'm not in favor of clothing that looks fit for a brothel, either. How much better if girls dress attractively in clothing that doesn't draw attention away from their intelligence, poise, personality, and other gifts and attributes. It's unfortunate when a young girl feels she has to lead with bare skin to get attention.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/31/2015 Alsee said:
On 3/31/2015 brii said:

This dress is beautiful but a little "mature" for a prom. Just my feeling. It's a dress for a woman, not a girl. I can honestly say I wouldn't let my daughter wear this but again, that's just me. I'd wear it to a formal event any day.

This is an absolutely beautiful and elegant dress. It is also very sophisticated and suggestively bare (or pseudo-bare) and lingerie-like -- not a dress I would consider appropriate for a teenaged girl to wear to a school prom! This is a dress for a 30-year-old movie star taking publicity photos on the red carpet.

Honored Contributor
On 3/30/2015 lulu2 said:
On 3/30/2015 missy1 said:

My post will get deleted. My favorite prom dress.

What was she thinking?

prom_dress_120412-m.jpg (400×300)

I doubt she was thinking, I bet someone photoshops a bare pregnant stomach on my prom picture and it will get posted over and over on the QVC forums.

Hideous! No way would this be accepted at our prom!