Honored Contributor

Re: Plus-Size Models Not Only Look Good, They Make Women Feel Better About Their Bodies

I don't care if a model is plus size or not.  I look at how the item wears.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Plus-Size Models Not Only Look Good, They Make Women Feel Better About Their Bodies

I think it's kind of disingenuous for the article to refer to, and use, a pic of Ashley Graham.

There is nothing average about her.

Esteemed Contributor

How many times have we heard women say they'd love to see more plus sized models, not just on the Q?  Hundreds of times on this forum alone.  I couldn't agree more.   I fail to see why a "study" had to be conducted to show there would be a benefit to utilizing plus sized models in marketing!   If they conducted a "study" like this on petites, the results would be the same.  

Other than an LDO show or on videos, I don't watch Q, but when I did, I looked to the model Jackie (Jacque?) even though she's a size or 2 larger than I (I wear sm or, mostly, med in Q clothes).  Jackie has a similar body type to mine, so if an item doesn't look right on her...if it doesn't slim, if it isn't flattering, if it's snug, short, or showing lumps and bumps, etc....I won't consider it.   

I think Nordstrom has some gorgeous plus sized models that I see regularly...and who I think in these pics (there are some unflattering pics of these same women) look amazing because they are wearing clothes that I see as flattering to them...

Sejour Sweater, Tank & KUT from the Kloth Jeans Outfit with Accessories (Plus Size)

Eileen Fisher Long Silk Tank (Plus Size)

Adrianna Papell Dress with Accessories (Plus Size)

ELVI Jacket & Skirt Outfit with Accessories (Plus Size)

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

The models certainly are not average, even though they are large women they are proportioned well and have beautiful  faces and gorgeous hair,

Honored Contributor

Translation please...

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I think it is interesting that all of the shopping channels carry to size 3X but I do not believe that I have ever seen a model that size.  I would think that they would sell even more clothes if they had models of a variety of sizes.  The Q is getting better, but I find that most of the models are still an XXS or XS.

@SXMGirl,Having taught clothing, as well as tailoring, I can tell you that more often than not, as a person's weight goes up, so do their personal fit problems.  If you have a plus size model that is an "hour glass", how is her appearance going to help an "apple" shape?

The purpose of a model is to "be a hanger".  She really shouldn't have much of a shape so the focus is on the clothes, not the model.  In recent years with the problems surrounding eating disorders, it has been harder for the regular consumer to gauge how a garment will fit them.  Now our models are more shapely and many more variables have been added when trying to make a decision making the decision more difficult.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

The models certainly are not average, even though they are large women they are proportioned well and have beautiful  faces and gorgeous hair,

@blackhole99 models look particularly beautiful after all the makeup.  Many average looking women can achieve this with the right makeup artist.

Also, let's not forget that photoshop is real.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Well thank you Captain Obvious! LOL I wonder how much money was spent on this study?! Is anyone surprised at the results?

Health issues notwithstanding women come in all shapes and sizes and it would be nice to see them all represented. My gripe with the Q is there's not a hip in the bunch! LOL how about throwing in a model with some curves that's not overweight?!

Honored Contributor

I think Florida State University researchers need to find something more valuable to research with their time, energy, and grant money. I love fashion and clothes, and I like to see models that are similar to my shape, but did we really need research on this? 

Honored Contributor

@wilma

As a Floridian I'm starting to get mad the more I think about where the money could have gone in public education!