Honored Contributor

Plus-Size Models Not Only Look Good, They Make Women Feel Better About Their Bodies

From Health.com-

This might explain why we can't take our eyes off Ashley Graham

ashley-graham-street

Women pay more attention to—and feel better after looking at—models who are average and plus-size compared to models who are thin. That’s the conclusion of a new study from Florida State University researchers, published last week in the journal Communication Monographs.

Women in the study also remembered more details about fashion models who were not super skinny, and they were less likely to compare themselves to women of more realistic proportions.

The study involved 49 college-age women, all of whom considered themselves “average” weight but aspired to be thinner. The women were shown various images of fashion models—taken from the Macy’s and Target websites—who’d been classified by the researchers as either thin, average, or plus-size. (The plus-size models all appeared to be overweight or obese, but none were morbidly obese.)

After the women observed each image, they were asked to categorize the model based on her body type, rate how attractive and pleasant they perceived her, and indicate how much they compared themselves to her. They were also asked about their own levels of body satisfaction, and—as a “distractor question” meant to mask the true intent of the study—whether they planned to buy the clothing depicted in the image. The women were then shown an unrelated short video, and afterward were asked some questions to evaluate their memory about the models.

Their responses revealed very different opinions toward models of different sizes. When thin women were on the screen, the participants made more comparisons to their own bodies, paid less attention, and remembered less about the models. They also reported less body satisfaction, which the researchers say can be bad for mental and physical health.

“We found overwhelmingly that there is a clear psychological advantage of depicting the non-ideal body type in media campaigns,” the authors wrote in their paper. “These findings suggest that incorporating more realistically sized fashion models in the media might have its benefits in terms of improved health outcomes,” they add, including less dejection and more body satisfaction for a female audience.

The study’s sample size was small and only included college-age women who wanted to lose weight, and the authors say their findings should be replicated with people of different genders, ages, ethnicities, and body images. But lead researcher Russell Clayton, PhD, director of the Cognition and Emotion Lab at FSU, tells Health that the findings “tell an interesting story about the current trend of depicting plus-size models in media campaigns.”

Clayton also says the study results can be eye-opening for women who do want to be thinner, in terms of how viewing images of realistic versus “ideal” body types might affect their self-confidence and personal body satisfaction. (That’s especially important in a world where media is inundated with unrealistic body goals—which, by the way, are often altered or strategically photographed.) The bottom line? Pay attention to how images of other women truly make you feel, not just whether they match your idea of the perfect figure.

When viewing average and plus-size women, on the other hand, the participants paid better attention, remembered more, made fewer self-comparisons, and reported higher body satisfaction—despite the fact that they all admitted they wanted to be thinner.

Respected Contributor

Re: Plus-Size Models Not Only Look Good, They Make Women Feel Better About Their Bodies

One would think higher body satisfaction=greater fashion expenditures. It seems most mass media, QVC 

included, disagree.

Honored Contributor

Re: Plus-Size Models Not Only Look Good, They Make Women Feel Better About Their Bodies

Perhaps that's true, but vendors who are always pointing figure flaws that need to be camouflaged or covered don't do women any favors.  We don't all have "something something that needs to be covered"!

It's annoying and all the vendors do it.  What is most annoying is when the male vendors do it!  

Honored Contributor

She is a lovely model.  It is ridiculous that you are considered a plus size if you are a 12.  You should feel good about yourself no matter what size you are.  One thing that I don't agree with are women  that are a 24-26 and they are taking about their curves.  I don't think so.  When you are a 24 or 26 it is not curves but rolls so face up to it.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

And what was your reaction to the article, lola? Just curious.
My opinion is that personally, it doesn't matter to me what size a model is, if the clothing fits properly, that is what I am looking for, the sizing info and if it fits correctly.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono Great article.  Yes, we relate to regular women who look like us.  We all need to love our bodies as they are in the present, and we need more average sized and plus sized models who show us how garments can look on us.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is interesting that all of the shopping channels carry to size 3X but I do not believe that I have ever seen a model that size.  I would think that they would sell even more clothes if they had models of a variety of sizes.  The Q is getting better, but I find that most of the models are still an XXS or XS.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having taught nutrition, when I see someone other than the traditional model, I also envision health issues waiting to happen.  As a society, do we need to enforce any size a person is will be acceptable?  

There is obvious evidence with numbers to back it up that there

"is a high level of health associated with the preferred height/weight ratio".

It's all well and fine to say "I accept myself".  Heart disease, or diabetes most offen is the reality.  

The message when stores started having a "Plus size teen area" is scarey on many fronts.

Don't we need young people to be aware because what they chose will most certainly have a consequence?

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
My opinion is that personally, it doesn't matter to me what size a model is, if the clothing fits properly, that is what I am looking for, the sizing info and if it fits correctly.

@Snicks1

I was looking for the pictures I had seen, but now I can't remember which store I saw them in...

When I see a dress like this, and I can see a bump on the model, I know this will look way worse on me.

When I see an item that has missy and plus sizes, I like to see models of different sizes, like in these Democracy jeans that I bought.

I dislike when an item is plus sized, and they use the missy model product shot.  

Respected Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:

ITA