Trusted Contributor

Oprah's O magazine shutting down after 20 years

[ Edited ]

Time does fly, I remember when it first debuted.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/07/26/oprah-shutting-down-o-magazine-print-edition-after-20-years-wi...

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Re: Oprah's O magazine shutting down after 20 years

I never bought it, bit I always enjoyed reading it at the library. Incoming Oprah bashes in 5 4 3 2 1.

Most magazines are struggling to survive. I recently got a year of People for $36. Couldn't resist that. For me it's a self care thing, to try to relax and flip through a magazine. I've loved magazines since I was a kid.

Oprah's also always had a fashion section, many items were affordable.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

I use to buy her magazine years ago I think I had a subscription but as with everything else times are changing.

I don't know how these magazines and newspapers are surviving with everything online, it must be difficult.  I remember always carrying a book or magazine to read when I commuted to work on the subway many years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sad to see it go even though I was never a subscriber -  just a reader at the library or from copies left at our pool library.

I'm sad because it's another sign of the end of print as I've known it all my long life.  Even before I turned on my computer this morning, I read from the new issue of Time as I sipped my morning coffee.  I do read news online, but for me there's nothing like print on paper for long, indepth reading and thinking.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

no great loss... I thought her photo shopped picture on the cover each month shows what a diva she thinks  she is...  and all her goody two shoes articles about impowerment bla bla bla. What a snorefest.ZZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz

Honored Contributor

The only place I look at magazines is waiting for haircut.  I don't think I've ever seen an issue.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

no great loss... I thought her photo shopped picture on the cover each month shows what a diva she thinks  she is...  and all her goody two shoes articles about impowerment bla bla bla. What a snorefest.ZZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Esteemed Contributor

Another drama! What will SK use to promote her products now?  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Speaking of TIME, I just got a year for 15.00.  HSN was good at offering style and beauty mags for free or 10.00 with purchase of certain items.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of these deals lately.  New Yorker is over 100.00 a year, so a neighbor and I split that.  

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass  Both are worth reading and money well spent. Enjoy those magazines which provide knowledge for their readers, rather than simply lining the pockets of their publishers and owners (like O magazine). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.