Honored Contributor

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"

[ Edited ]

@jonbon wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

Perhaps that is because Colleen isn't as involved with the line on HSN as Lisa was with the GILI line at the Q.

I don't think that's true at all if you watch Colleen present her line.  I think one of the big things is Colleen's line isn't presented as often as Lisa presented her line so Lisa had a lot more time into her line.

I personally think Lisa got in over her head with the GILI line as far as trying to do so many pieces for a weekly show plus all the other times GILI was in a fashion line-up Lisa was presenting.  That has to take a lot of work just for the fashion and accessories alone then add in the jewelry, then came the holiday decor plus her regular, everyday hosting job. 

Colleen does 4 collections a year.  Spring, summer, fall and holiday. 

I lied -- this is my final post! I I should have put a question mark at the end of my response above, because, truthfully, I have never, ever seen Colleen present her line and I don't watch HSN. My bad.

I've seen Colleen present her line often. I don't care for many of the pieces Colleen brings in as most items are too short--cropped!   I did buy a gorgeous turquoise tunic top that  was lace, and I love it and it's longer in length.

That being said... Colleen never looks like a hot mess.  Her clothing fits her well, and she always looks nice and pulled together.  She doesn't appear to look like she's tried too hard. Lisa often looks like a hot mess, and things don't go together well.

i don't often care for Collen's shoes though.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

no offense to anyone and i know we all have different taste, but i happen to think lisa looks great!

i like everything that she's wearing and think it works for her.  the bag and sneakers she's getting a lot of use from.  also the jeans.  that's a good thing.  i decided to look up the sneakers, i liked them so much, but they're 5 inches.  that's going over the limit for me!  but, still i think they are so cute.

Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@The Lady In Red wrote:

My previous comment was in no way intended to be a gotcha...the point was that not much creativity went into Ms Robertson giving an article of clothing to the design team...

the nuts and bolts, execution and final product of the "knock off garment"  are soley the

design teams work.....

Ms Robertson is perceived a a great fashion icon  and a creative force  by a good number of people in the QVC community...  the real heros are the design team

I would still contend that Lisa had more input than simply giving an article of clothing to the design team to be copied. I don't think she would claim to have done any of the skilled/technical aspects of the work, but according to the blog I posted (written by Lisa), she had involvement and provided input at every step of the process. I guess one can believe it or not, but I do, because it was evident from the way she presented the products that she was very (emotionally) invested in the line.

As time went on, I heard LR taking more and more credit on air for the product: I did this or that, I told them this or that. She may have been as you say "emotionally" invested, but I think she wished to have the Creative Director position. Colleen Lopex at HSN sells copies of some of her clothes which her fans like. She doesn't take credit for anything except it's a piece of clothing she liked and bought. The Design team does that will with it. 

Perhaps that is because Colleen isn't as involved with the line on HSN as Lisa was with the GILI line at the Q.

No doubt. However, I think she thought she was doing designer work, and she wasn't. 

Honored Contributor

That was the original idea behind GILI, there pieces were inspired by designer items that L R loved.  There are no copyrights in fashion and everything is a copy of something else.  I don't care for that jacket, it's too gimmick, it will look old fashioned and dated in 2 years.  

Respected Contributor

but @chrystaltree it looks cute on lisa now imo

Trusted Contributor

The jacket is nothing special, and the shoes are a LOL!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1

Hi win, I agree with your assessment of Lisa's style.  I feel her problem is she isn't dressing for her authentic self--she still sees herself as that girl from the hills of Tennessee and desperately tries to overcome it.  She wants to be Madison Avenue and simply tries too hard.  

Another facctor to be considered is her age and body shape.  She has a very curvy body and needs to be aware that it doesn't always work to wear such tight, short clothing (and especially at her age).  Put Courtney (who also is curvy, but has great thighs) in that same outfit and she would probably look au courant and adoreable.  

Hope all is well and wishing you a nice weekend ahead!  

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@winamac1

Hi win, I agree with your assessment of Lisa's style.  I feel her problem is she isn't dressing for her authentic self--she still sees herself as that girl from the hills of Tennessee and desperately tries to overcome it.  She wants to be Madison Avenue and simply tries too hard.  

Another facctor to be considered is her age and body shape.  She has a very curvy body and needs to be aware that it doesn't always work to wear such tight, short clothing (and especially at her age).  Put Courtney (who also is curvy, but has great thighs) in that same outfit and she would probably look au courant and adoreable.  

Hi Magic!  I agree!  She tries VERY hard to look young and hip, and she mistakenly thinks these short, tight jackets look good on her  When she was on the Q and had on tops a bit longer, they were so flattering on her  I definitely noticed it.  But then, she gets stuck back in her rut with the odd juxtaposition of choices she wears.  I do agree with your assessment, as well, about the entire "Tennesse thing".  Madison Avenue works in some cases, but it has to be the right choices fitting properly. 

BTW, that jacket I bought is now 20% off at Anthropologie--that olive one with the shimmer sleeves...just sayin.....Smiley Happy

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@winamac1

Hi Magic!  I agree!  She tries VERY hard to look young and hip, and she mistakenly thinks these short, tight jackets look good on her  When she was on the Q and had on tops a bit longer, they were so flattering on her  I definitely noticed it.  But then, she gets stuck back in her rut with the odd juxtaposition of choices she wears.  I do agree with your assessment, as well, about the entire "Tennesse thing".  Madison Avenue works in some cases, but it has to be the right choices fitting properly. 

BTW, that jacket I bought is now 20% off at Anthropologie--that olive one with the shimmer sleeves...just sayin.....Smiley Happy

@winamac1

Now don't you go enabling me, Win!  I have been on a buying binge and am trying to reel it in.  But speaking of enabling.  Did you see the Current Elliott flare jeans lola posted in the What's In thread.  I immediately thought of you!  

Respected Contributor

I don't care what everyone says.  Lisa R was a first class professional and did a good job selling GILI.  She clearly was passionate about GILI and it showed.  You can always tell the difference between the new hosts and the seasoned hosts.  LIsa R.when at QVC, Jill Bauer, Mary Beth Rowe, Rick Domier etc. always have smooth running shows. They are all great at their jobs.