Respected Contributor

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"

@jonbon wrote:

@skuggles wrote:

How can Lisa say she designed a jacket that was already designed by McQueen et al? Seems she made the desicion to copy it. Good call, because it's a nice looking design, but  the decision doesn't rise to the level of creating the original design. Someone enlighten me, please if you can. 

The original idea of GILI (Got It Love It) was copying things that Lisa already owned -- she never claimed to "design" items from scratch in the beginning. As the line expanded, there may have been more original items added (based on trends). While Lisa isn't a designer, I believe she was very involved in the whole GILI line and had a lot of input with the design team.

GTK. I was responding to the comment made by another poster, saying she designed the knock off. Don't know if anyone knows for certain how much involvement she actually had in the line, from it's inception to her departure. That woud be interesting to know, I think. She had a certain identifying "look", that she seemed to capitalize on. But in the end, she was a borrower of ideas like the rest of us. Sometimes it worked, other times it did not. The GILI line seemes to have kept that look since she left, and it does seem to be somewhat unique to the Q, although not to the design world. Their biggest cheerleader is sorely missed, and I'm not certain if the look can survive the replacement.

Respected Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@skuggles wrote:

How can Lisa say she designed a jacket that was already designed by McQueen et al? Seems she made the desicion to copy it. Good call, because it's a nice looking design, but  the decision doesn't rise to the level of creating the original design. Someone enlighten me, please if you can. 

The original idea of GILI (Got It Love It) was copying things that Lisa already owned -- she never claimed to "design" items from scratch in the beginning. As the line expanded, there may have been more original items added (based on trends). While Lisa isn't a designer, I believe she was very involved in the whole GILI line and had a lot of input with the design team.

GTK. I was responding to the comment made by another poster, saying she designed the knock off. Don't know if anyone knows for certain how much involvement she actually had in the line, from it's inception to her departure. That woud be interesting to know, I think. She had a certain identifying "look", that she seemed to capitalize on. But in the end, she was a borrower of ideas like the rest of us. Sometimes it worked, other times it did not. The GILI line seemes to have kept that look since she left, and it does seem to be somewhat unique to the Q, although not to the design world. Their biggest cheerleader is sorely missed, and I'm not certain if the look can survive the replacement.

Following is an excerpt from a blog Lisa wrote about her involvement with GILI:

After being on the job for over 15 years, I was very excited when they asked me to create some items of clothing based on what I wore. A new project, a new way to learn; a new challenge! I suggested calling it G.I.L.I., which stands for Got it Love it,  as it started out being based on things I owned. The first pieces were introduced in the beginning of “The Lisa Robertson Show”, and the line grew from there. 

To learn that I could take a concept from a piece that I loved and interpret it in a different, more wearable or more affordable way, was exciting. To come in with stacks of pictures, as well as samples and say, “take this concept from this pair of pants off the runway and make it a skirt, or this collar on this other jacket, or this concept in a different fabrication”,  and see it happen was so exciting. The original concepts were made into CAD drawings, we tweaked the drawings, decided which drawings should become samples, what type of fabrication we wanted the sample in, waited for the first samples from the factories, pinned, discussed, tweaked; sent it back for a second sample, and did the process again. Looking at it on a model, “how does it lay? How does it fit? Is it flattering? Is it comfortable? Is it what we were looking for? Where does it hit the knee? ****** in the hem to make the tush look better!” Etcetera. Finally it would go to a fit sample and we would finalize fabric and colors and place the order. 

Once the item was on its way, then there was the juggling act of “when can we get samples? When can we get it on the models to promote? When can I get pictures for FB?  When will it be available to actually sell? What do you mean one color didn’t come in because there was an issue?” Etc, etcetera,.

I did it because I loved it, not because of a bottom line. It is and has always been owned by QVC, I did not have a financial stake in the line. I put my heart and soul into it because it was something I loved and was proud of. It was an amazing opportunity, an exciting challenge, and I learned so much more than I thought possible in these last few years.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps LR wanted to be and paid for, what Jill Martin does. Eventually, LR began telling on-air instructions she was giving the team. 

"Creative directors are the creative leads at advertising and marketing companies, working with designers, artists, copywriters, sales teams and marketers to create a vision for products sold. Creative directors plan advertising, oversee the creative process and give guidance to the creative people that work under them."

Contributor

Well a picture is worth a thousand words...I am happy to see that a myth concerning Ms Robertson as the "designer/creator" of the Gili line  might be dispeled........

The Gili line is a knockoff line  of higher end pieces...it is a perfectly acceptable practice  in the design world.. articles of clothing are not patented    designer knockoff   are a true acceptable practice in the fashion industry

Ms Robertson was  simply an employee of QVC  her employer gave the freedon to pick some high end pieces of clothing and have them translated by a "design team" not Ms Robertson into clothing for QVC   all of us  could do the same thing  with the right people behind us..........but a   a "creative director"  I think not

Gili is just a more pricey line of clothing because of certain upgraded details and cut of the clothing.. 

I am a retired designer  who would be used by QVC or other companies  for this purpose....

It is refreshing to have some  amount of true facts out there about this line

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I've always wondered what some of the original designs were that give inspiration for the GILI items.  Here's one example. Today, Lisa posted this to her FB page --

(Jacket: Alexander McQueen, tank: GILI, jeans: Skinnyjeans2, bag: GILI, wedge sneakers: Renvy)

image.jpeg

This Alexandria McQueen jacket was the inspiration for the GILI jacket Lisa designed, but she said she did not see the final jacket.  

The QVC GILI final jacket is A262719. Priced at $415.

image.jpeg

I think Lisa and the GILI team hit the nail on the head with this one. Looks extremely similar.  Very interesting to me.

The only part of this I like is the purse.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@The Lady In Red wrote:

Well a picture is worth a thousand words...I am happy to see that a myth concerning Ms Robertson as the "designer/creator" of the Gili line  might be dispeled........

The Gili line is a knockoff line  of higher end pieces...it is a perfectly acceptable practice  in the design world.. articles of clothing are not patented    designer knockoff   are a true acceptable practice in the fashion industry

Ms Robertson was  simply an employee of QVC  her employer gave the freedon to pick some high end pieces of clothing and have them translated by a "design team" not Ms Robertson into clothing for QVC   all of us  could do the same thing  with the right people behind us..........but a   a "creative director"  I think not

Gili is just a more pricey line of clothing because of certain upgraded details and cut of the clothing.. 

I am a retired designer  who would be used by QVC or other companies  for this purpose....

It is refreshing to have some  amount of true facts out there about this line

You seem to imply that there is some sort of "gotcha" in that photo. This is how the line was presented from the beginning -- as a line knocking off items Lisa owned (or liked) because women kept asking her where she got them. Sometimes they were no longer available, or sometimes they were completely unaffordable for "average" women. Good heavens, she often wore the original when selling the knockoff version (for which she was frequently criticized around here). So I don't think that photo dispels any myth about GILI -- it simply shows that the final product for that particular garment looks to be quite successfully executed.

Respected Contributor

@jonbon thank you for the excerpt. That's a lot of "we" in there, so still not fully transparent on the degree of personal involvement,imo. But again, interesting to read the public image that was at least intended., again I think, capitalizing on the personality.

Contributor

My previous comment was in no way intended to be a gotcha...the point was that not much creativity went into Ms Robertson giving an article of clothing to the design team...

the nuts and bolts, execution and final product of the "knock off garment"  are soley the

design teams work.....

Ms Robertson is perceived a a great fashion icon  and a creative force  by a good number of people in the QVC community...  the real heros are the design team

Honored Contributor

This GILI thing has been very interesting to me and at first I kind of poo-poo'd it.  Way too expensive, some of it too trendy for me (I'm a classic dresser with an edge) but when I went on a hunt for a Camo handbag I couldn't find one that had the color and depth of design to the camo, or one that didn't come with little "Ducks" on it.... until I saw the GILI Roma 3, so I ordered it to see it in prson and I fell in love and kept it!  Extremely well made for the money and very good looking and I'm no slouch in the handbag dept owning/having had quite a few top end designers (Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Burberry, Kate Spade....).  The Roma 3 is a gorgeous bag for the money.

Soooo... maybe the GILI thing was a fluke?  I kept getting drawn back to the GILI Camo Jacket with the ribbon tie in front.  But it was sold out... I kept checking and bingo... one that I thought would be too big came back in and I bought it!  It is VERY cute, VERY well made and I love it.  A lot of designer details to this one... IMHO worth the money.  Not for everyone but it called my name loudly!  My only complaint is that I had to go UP TWO SIZES to get it to fit me.

So I've ordered two for two now.  Two very well made, cute, designer oriented items that I'm VERY happy with.... so I'm going to continue to keep my eye on GILI....  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I've always wondered what some of the original designs were that give inspiration for the GILI items.  Here's one example. Today, Lisa posted this to her FB page --

(Jacket: Alexander McQueen, tank: GILI, jeans: Skinnyjeans2, bag: GILI, wedge sneakers: Renvy)

image.jpeg

This Alexandria McQueen jacket was the inspiration for the GILI jacket Lisa designed, but she said she did not see the final jacket.  

image.jpeg

I think Lisa and the GILI team hit the nail on the head with this one. Looks extremely similar.  Very interesting to me.

@winamac1 wrote:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@winamac1

Hi Win!  I will go you one better.  The only thing I like is the Hamsa phone case.