Trusted Contributor
On 2/17/2015 castlenv said:

I give up buying anything for myself or the house for lent. It is a long six weeks!!! But I feel I've done my penance!!!

Tomorrow's Ash Wednesday! Great idea. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor
On 2/17/2015 GoodStuff said:

Instead of focusing on the boxes that aren't coming, throw yourself a "spring closet party"! Dig into your closet and drawers, pull out spring pieces, get out a selection of scarves, jewelry and accessories, and make outfits! I do this every once in a while -- lay jewelry and accessories on my dressers, arrange clothing pieces on my bed or on hangers, and then try to put things together in new and creative ways. I always enjoy this, and usually find some forgotten items, discover some cool new combos I haven't tried before, as well as finding pieces that are past their prime, that don't fit well, that I'm not wearing, and that need to be discarded or donated.

You could pour yourself a glass of wine and turn on some music to make the party complete!

Thanks so much for this inspiring post! I'll do this tomorrow to get started for lent then whenever I feel I need a little mental boost. At least once a week.
Valued Contributor

I move a fair amount of my money into savings before I an spend it and live off of the rest. Once I do that, I feel badly about moving it again. Therefore, it forces me to cut down on my spending. I don't do the charge cards.

Esteemed Contributor
Furry, my DH & I do what you do, except we do use a few charge cards frugally. We always pay them off in full each month. We have never had a car or home loan as we buy when we can afford something new & nice. I just know that we have saved a lot of money in our married life (45) years next month without any loans. And, yes we have had our share of medical bills. My DH calls me his million dollar baby.
Valued Contributor

Twinny2

You sound really smart. This is the way to go! Debt can turn into a really big problem.

Esteemed Contributor
Furry, thanks for your kind words.
Valued Contributor

Lori,

Accountability is everything! If you "feel the need to buy"....write a post here asking for self-control.Wink

Why not take the advice of others (for Lent) .... "give it up" for 40 days.

Contributor
On 2/17/2015 Rock_chick said:

Some of my tricks to stop myself from buying -

think of something I want badly enough to save up for it - something else that I want more

tell myself if I still want it later, I can get it (not sure what your time frame is)

Wear/use/enjoy something that I own that I REALLY love

write a letter/card to someone I love - maybe they will write back, and that is sometimes more lovely than getting a box in the mail

invest a little time into something else that I love, for me my fave is my guitar

come up with some other "rewards" - a bubble bath, cup of great hot chocolate, something you don't have to spend money on

so sorry but none of your tips work. I have tried them all -- well almost. Can't take a nice long hot bath because I am getting too old and slip and flop around like a beached whale (yeah, I am a 5 foot 2x). I have lost weight (down from 210 to 187 -- from a 3x to a 2x) and have given most of my clothing to Salvation Army; hence, I HAVE to buy new (sighhh, isn't that the pits, lol). I can't eat oogy gooey stuff because I AM BEING VERY GOOD. If I try to save up for something, my size and color are usually sold out. I tried only buying for future but this stupid weather is colder than usual and now I need sweatshirts and guess what! My favorite colors are sold out in my size!!! My darling husband is about ready to pull his hair out. However, the items I have bought are Denim and Company and have only had to return 1 or 2 items. Their prices are getting higher but thank goodness they are not as high as quackers. Geesh!! After today though, I am not buying anything else. I am getting embarrassed when UPS comes when my husband is home and besides, with the weather is the minuses, I feel sorry for the UPS man. {#emotions_dlg.sad} OK, I am done here. I have to click the submit button on the 2 Denim and Company sweatshirts in my second and third color choices I have in my cart. Wink

Honored Contributor

Just plan a move, knowing it's going to cost you $8,000 in two months. That'll cure ya for a while!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

But what a clever marketing ploy………showing the ""layered"" look to encourage buying more of her items (including the ""diaper""). I have two of her tops that have straight across bottom. That's enough for me.