Respected Contributor
On 2/18/2015 DJoyner said:
On 2/17/2015 Rock_chick said:

Some of my tricks to stop myself from buying -

think of something I want badly enough to save up for it - something else that I want more

tell myself if I still want it later, I can get it (not sure what your time frame is)

Wear/use/enjoy something that I own that I REALLY love

write a letter/card to someone I love - maybe they will write back, and that is sometimes more lovely than getting a box in the mail

invest a little time into something else that I love, for me my fave is my guitar

come up with some other "rewards" - a bubble bath, cup of great hot chocolate, something you don't have to spend money on

so sorry but none of your tips work. I have tried them all -- well almost. Can't take a nice long hot bath because I am getting too old and slip and flop around like a beached whale (yeah, I am a 5 foot 2x). I have lost weight (down from 210 to 187 -- from a 3x to a 2x) and have given most of my clothing to Salvation Army; hence, I HAVE to buy new (sighhh, isn't that the pits, lol). I can't eat oogy gooey stuff because I AM BEING VERY GOOD. If I try to save up for something, my size and color are usually sold out. I tried only buying for future but this stupid weather is colder than usual and now I need sweatshirts and guess what! My favorite colors are sold out in my size!!! My darling husband is about ready to pull his hair out. However, the items I have bought are Denim and Company and have only had to return 1 or 2 items. Their prices are getting higher but thank goodness they are not as high as quackers. Geesh!! After today though, I am not buying anything else. I am getting embarrassed when UPS comes when my husband is home and besides, with the weather is the minuses, I feel sorry for the UPS man. {#emotions_dlg.sad} OK, I am done here. I have to click the submit button on the 2 Denim and Company sweatshirts in my second and third color choices I have in my cart. Wink

I was just trying to share a few things that have worked for me - not trying to dictate to anyone else what to do or how to live their life. You sound like you are quite happy buying - so buy away! Enjoy! It must not be causing you problems.

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain. I moved 3 weeks ago, into an rv, and though I still have "country home" it just doesn't make sense to be buying clothes. I've seen a few things I liked, but learning that my wardrobe is changing. There will be dress purchases and shoe purchasing in the future. It was time to buy a new bag and went to the store with DD and found the very perfect one!! So, hopefully not to need another for quite a while.

There are all kinds of ways I have used in the past to keep myself from shopping/buying - are you looking for tips or just commissurating? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Moving into an RV will definitely bring shopping - esp for clothes - to a screeching halt. I live in a park model every summer for 5 months and since we go to a state that doesn't have sales tax on clothing I usually shop for clothes while we are there. And the closet does start to get crowded very quickly.

Respected Contributor
On 2/18/2015 happy housewife said:

I feel your pain. I moved 3 weeks ago, into an rv, and though I still have "country home" it just doesn't make sense to be buying clothes. I've seen a few things I liked, but learning that my wardrobe is changing. There will be dress purchases and shoe purchasing in the future. It was time to buy a new bag and went to the store with DD and found the very perfect one!! So, hopefully not to need another for quite a while.

There are all kinds of ways I have used in the past to keep myself from shopping/buying - are you looking for tips or just commissurating? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Moving into an RV will definitely bring shopping - esp for clothes - to a screeching halt. I live in a park model every summer for 5 months and since we go to a state that doesn't have sales tax on clothing I usually shop for clothes while we are there. And the closet does start to get crowded very quickly.

I think we talked a few months ago! Or someone else who part times in an rv. I used to wear a lot of different things to work but my new job is a step up and I'm finding that I am enjoying the simplicity of throwing on a dress and not worrying about "what goes". I have my jewelry to a minimum of my faves, and it really is simpler.

Trusted Contributor

Just think of the money you will be saving!!

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor
On 2/18/2015 Dosey said:

I think some folks would rather have STUFF than money!

Super Contributor

The lent idea was AWESOME!!! It was just the satisfaction I needed, thanks for that - this will actually cut out my shopping while I'm packing to move AND definitely be an act of self-denial for me, especially!

Trusted Contributor
On 2/18/2015 Rock_chick said:
On 2/18/2015 Dosey said:

I think some folks would rather have STUFF than money!

I told a friend the other day that I wish I had not bought 90% of the things I purchased as an adult. I could probably retire!

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor
You can order wine in a box....
Valued Contributor
On 2/17/2015 suzieQ4me said:

I know what you mean!

I had to give up buying unnecessary items last year when my main source of income went away!!! I had already cut waaaay down to where I bought myself maybe one or two items per year. But now I have NO extra money, so I am down to shopping in my own closet!

I did find a cute capri outfit in a packed box last month - I had completely forgotten about it - and so that helped me a bit!

I also have stopped buying after losing my main source of income on Dec. 31! I totally feel your pain! I just totally went cold turkey & stopped buying anything but food! I had bought some hair stuff that I really love but it will be the last thing! I started looking thru my closets for different outfits for church & realized that I had some really nice stuff! And since I have been forced to check out what I have, I have came up with some really cute outfits! Some of my friends asked if I had bought new stuff, knowing I didn't have a job! I just told them I have been shopping my closet! I also found a plastic container in the bottom of the closet in my guest bedroom & I had put some pretty sweaters in there & other things so it was kind of a treat to go thru it! But on the plus side, my life has so much less stress now & when I get the urge to shop, I find something else to do! When I was younger I loved reading, and have an Ipad that I bought when I had a job, so I have down loaded on books & love just sitting quietly & reading! I also have been going out taking my dog for long walks! So there is really a bright spot in all this!! (sorry so long)