Esteemed Contributor

Re: OK, I think we have all learned that........

The hoodie is a no for me ... I do own one of her scuba jackets (sans affirmation) in that green color, however ... got it on a lunch time special early last year ... well made.  Would never pay full price for this line.   

Also, doesn't Shawn realize that name-dropping is a big turn-off ... "Oprah, J Lo love these"  ... really?

Trusted Contributor

NO I do not like affirmations on my clothing. But some do and that is fine.

I just never have. The TSV uses it for a sell in my opinion.  Adds the warm and fuzzy into the mix...just a sales tactic to me.

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of people like the affirmations - not me.  I may feel them, but I don't want to wear them.  Besides, if I need a hoodie or sweat pants, I go to Walmart.  The prices on the PLW items are ridiculous!  

I agree with you, @Thebig I .

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

don't like affirmations that are virtual signaling.  i have no need to express feelings on clothes

Respected Contributor

@Thebig I wrote:

Wearing personal affirmations on our clothes looks a little like wishful thinking and needs to come from possibly a deeper place. No, it cant hurt, but OK, please. It is actually getting so gimmacky it is losing its meaning, OR not? What do you think?

In a word, yes. I think generic messages like "love" "be kind" "love" etc. are harmless enough but pretty meaningless. I tend to think those who want to wear that are branding themselves.

I am not opposed to messages on clothing, but it's pretty meaningless unless it's a message that is unique, carries a little more risk, or is more specific.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Banal.

Plus, it all reminds me of "Stuart Smalley."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I'm rather indifferent towards the line but something she said tonight really caught me off guard. She trademarked the simple phrase I love everyone?! First of all how do you get a trademark on something so generic and secondly it doesn't seem like a very loving thing to do

@Andreatoo  and @Careful Shopper and others wondering about how trademarks work:

She did in fact get a trademark registration with the US Trademark Office for I LOVE EVERYONE for specifically "Hooded pullovers; Hooded sweatshirts; Jackets; Knit tops; T-shirts; Tops."  It was granted October 18, 2016 with Registration No. 5062342.

This means only that she is allowed to use that phrase as a brand on and for those specific products.

It does not mean that the meaning of the phrase is what is registered as a trademark.

Trademarks are for the registration of words or phrases or symbols for specific categories of goods or services.  It does not mean no one else can ever use I LOVE EVERYONE for anything else.  It does mean no one can use I LOVE EVERYONE to sell those items for which it is now a registered trademark.

I hope that helps. I used to work in the trademark field.

Just fyi, there is a trademark registration for L.I.F.E. LOVE IS FOR EVERYONE for these goods: Costume jewelry; Jewelry; Decals; Shirts owned by a company called L.I.F.E. LLC of Florida (formerly known as TiltWorks.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Andreatoo ...........well McDonalds as trademarked the phrase.....Im lovin it.  IMO I thinks its just plain silly and useless.  But then again no one asked me.  LOL.

Hi @Imaoldhippie 

McDonald's does own I'M LOVIN IT as a trademark.  In fact, it owns four trademark registrations for that phrase.

The registrations are for four specific categories:

1) Restaurant services;

2) Prepared entrees consisting primarily of pork, fish, game or poultry; meat extracts; preserved, dried and cooked fruits and vegetables; jellies, jams; eggs, cheese, milk, chocolate milk, and other dairy products excluding ice cream, ice milk and frozen yogurt; fruit preserves, pickles; edible oils and fats;

3) Edible sandwiches for consumption on or off the premises, coffee, coffee substitutes, tea, cocoa, sugar, honey, rice, tapioca, flour, breakfast cereals, processed cereals, cereal-based snack foods and ready to eat cereal-derived food bars; bread, biscuits, cakes, pastries, dairy-based shakes, soft-serve ice cream, ice milk and frozen yogurt; yeast, baking powder, salt, mustard, pepper, sauces, spices, seasonings and ice; and

4) Soft drinks, fruit juices, fruit drinks, fruit-flavored drinks, sports drinks, drinking water, mineral water, spring water; concentrates, syrups or powders used in the preparation of soft drinks; fruit juices, fruit drinks, fruit-flavored drinks, and sports drinks.

These represent four classes of trademarks.

It does not mean McDonald's can use I'M LOVIN IT on clothing, or sports cars, or clocks (for example), but only on the items for which they own the mark.

Hope that helps.  I used to work in the trademark field.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

While the question was rhetorical I appreciate the lesson! It's still feels wrong when you consider her sales pitch. I love everyone but I will sue anyone who says it on a t-shirt!

Occasional Contributor

The creator of the line comes across as insincere to me. I have a hard time buying that it's all about enpowering women and spreading love. I just can't complete the purchase process because of this perception I have of her.