Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neiman Marcus' Plummeting Sales

Being a former retail professional and member of International Council of Shopping Centers. I can truthfully report that Bloomingdale's is definitely considered to be a high end luxury retailer on par with Saks, Bergdorf-Goodman, Barney's, Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus.  Lord & Taylor and Macy's have luxury designer departments (which allows them to pretend that they are high end merchants), but their designer shops don't feature clothing by the likes of Armani, Valentino, or Badgley Mischka (remember their short lived HSN collection?).  

Among the bunch Bloomie's is my favorite, but that could be because of past experience. These days they are all selling the same stuff, but there used to be a time when Bloomingdale's and Barney's were the places those of us who dress a bit more avante garde or trendy would have to go for our designer duds.  

Honored Contributor

I think the first Louis Vuitton handbag I purchased was in the late 80's from Neiman.  I've only purchased a few other items from NM.  I also don't buy much from Saks.  I buy a lot from Nordies.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

All of those stores are circulating the drain imo.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a New Yorker, and have shopped at all of those stores.  I have gone into Neimans wearing a Tee shirt, jeans and sandals and have always been treated with respect.  Even stopped in one time coming from a Pilates class and was treated fine.  Must be the store you were in.

Trusted Contributor

Totally agree, Bloomies has always been regarded as high end even more so than Nordstroms.  I grew up shopping in Bloomies & LTs.  I do some shopping in all of them including Saks, Neimans, Nordies & Kate Spade own store.  By the way, many times during election years sales in retail are down due to consumer confidence.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Interesting that in reading this thread, no one has mentioned in any of the comparisons Bloomingdales.  What's the deal with that store?

I don't have Bloomies, Barneys or Neiman Marcus in my area.  The nearest Saks and Nordies are about 50 minutes away so they aren't stores I go to on a regular basis.  I do agree with the person who said Saks is an uncomfortable shopping experience.   

@Lipstickdiva: l don't think Bloomies is considered by the retailing "experts" to be in quite the same category as NM, Saks or Nordstrom... From my own experience, l find them more comparable with Lord and Taylor.

@handygal2  

Comparable to Macy's.    Bloomingdales is an average department store .... not even close to what most would call  "high end".

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Interesting that in reading this thread, no one has mentioned in any of the comparisons Bloomingdales.  What's the deal with that store?

I don't have Bloomies, Barneys or Neiman Marcus in my area.  The nearest Saks and Nordies are about 50 minutes away so they aren't stores I go to on a regular basis.  I do agree with the person who said Saks is an uncomfortable shopping experience.   

@Lipstickdiva: l don't think Bloomies is considered by the retailing "experts" to be in quite the same category as NM, Saks or Nordstrom... From my own experience, l find them more comparable with Lord and Taylor.

@handygal2  

Comparable to Macy's.    Bloomingdales is an average department store .... not even close to what most would call  "high end".

@Tinkrbl44: I think a lot depends on the location of the stores, and the demographics of the area. The suburban Bloomies l shop at is not as high-end as branches in big cities. And l have several Macy's branches l can drive to. Some are more high-end than others, depending on location.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

The next time I see a customer about to purchase a $1000 dress at Bloomingdale's I'd better do an intervention and save that customer.  Bloomingdale's was and still remains one of the most prestigious stores in the world-- and definitely in the United States.  I reiterate again... that this is not just my personal opinion, but the standard which the store in considered to be in the view of retail industry organizations such as the International Council of Shopping Centers.  In other words the organizations and companies that gives stores their idenity which consumers recognize them for: such as high end, luxury, better, discount, etc.  

I like Macy's, so this is not to put them down.  That said, how high end a Macy's is depends on what local department store the owners renamed when they came up with the vision of eliminating local department stores and renaming them nationwide with the Macy's name.  The result (this is my opinion), is If your local was a high end such as Chicago's Marshall Field, then you got a great Macy's.  Some of the others were not so fortunate.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use to love shopping in NM and Saks and I Magnin before they closed.  Bonwit Teller was another one.  NM has great sales and you could find clothes that you don't necessarily see at other stores.  But that was then and this is now.  I like some clothes from Target, JJill and some cotton pants from Walmart.  I no longer work so the need for expensive clothes is no longer important.  When you pick and chose, and buy your clothes on sale, you can still look like a millon bucks!  NM closed their restaurant on the lower level in my area and I use to love to have lunch there.  They gave up the space to another restaurant and that was a few years ago.  The store was always empty so I guess they decided to save money.  Nordstrom is always very busy where I live.    Cat Very Happy 

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would gladly give you the crowds in Bloomingdales Saks or Bergdorf Goodman in NYC. Even when I just stop into lord and Taylor's for a Bobbi Brown lipstick it's a zoo. You would think they are giving things away at Sak's too. Neimans and Nordstrom are in the burbs so I rarely go, but Nordies is usually the most crowded.