Honored Contributor

Neiman Marcus Having Problems, Too

Add Neiman Marcus to the long list of struggling retailers, that range from Sears, to Kohls, to Macy's, and on and on..

Besides slow sales, NM is having a problem with a recently "upgraded" inventory system that can't seem to keep track of what has sold. So the vendors don't know when it's time to ship more merchandise. It's a mess...

Here's a link to the article:

http://nyp.st/2iyhQrX

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Neiman Marcus Having Problems, Too

[ Edited ]
I would visit GP Miami- Bal Harbor. Nanny enjoyed shopping Neiman Marcus. Say it again, Retail along with America needs help. Crash of 2007- America hasn't recovered.
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, a botched inventory system that has cost them at least $35 million dollars in lost sales since last summer. Sounds like heads are going to roll!

Yet another company doing themselves in. Shadenfreude!

Honored Contributor

I think online shopping is hurting brick and mortar stores more than the economy.People are shopping price and having everything delivered to their door.I know people who just use the store as a return depot and I have been thinking for a long time that it is only a matter of time before we won't have many stores left.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Does play in the demise, More importantly! Sad commentary. Feel society has taken turn with social media to isolate. For example! Texting is preferred over speaking, Increasingly separated. Shopping used to be a social experience.
Esteemed Contributor

Neiman Marcus is so overpriced that most everything goes to clearance mid-season. And, shopping there is not a pleasant experience (at least not the store in Beverly Hills). The sales staff seem either totally disengaged for totally desperate to make a sale. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

I admit to being part of the brick and mortar problem.  This last shopping season, I never once stepped inside a store (except the grocery, I still like to eat).  I did ALL my shopping online.

I do live in a suburb city of 50,000 with a huge retail and restaurant market. Everything is within a couple miles of me.  I just hate the hassle and the time spent getting there, parking, shopping and checking out, especially in the snow.  I can do it all on my computer in 10 minutes.  I must add, however, that the shopping malls around me were mobbed before as well as after Christmas, so there still are plenty of people shopping that way.....at least around here.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

Neiman Marcus is so overpriced that most everything goes to clearance mid-season. And, shopping there is not a pleasant experience (at least not the store in Beverly Hills). The sales staff seem either totally disengaged for totally desperate to make a sale. 

Living in California several years, One of the problems with shopping experience. Sales associates most weren't trained properly. Used to be very important position. Respected and appreciated. Now people don't take pride in sales. Then you have individuals who treat the customer badly.
Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

The New York store is poorly run. I purchased a Roberto Coin necklace and found it for 30% less at Lord and Taylor. They refused to match their advertised price. So back it went. They are not customer oriented and the snobiness there ...comical.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the remarks about the NM in store experience. 

But I think the company is trying to hang on to the elite in store customer AND run an on line discount store. 

I never shop in the store but I do purchase high end (not corture/designer) but never a full price. If you are interested in Eileen Fisher, Burberry, Oryany and more take a look at their clearance. Better yet is the site called Last Call which offers ever deeper mark downs. 

Free shipping both ways too..............