Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

You can dress up a casual solid color top by adding appropriate jewelry. Maybe a nice cardigan or jacket over it? 

I also dislike some of the same elements you mention in your original post. It can be difficult at times when all the brands are pushing trends you don’t care for, but you just have to keep looking. There are tops out there without all those bells & whistles that are still dressier than a tee. 

Respected Contributor

I like haivng a few dressy tops in my wardrobe. 

Fabric is a factor. A silky, shiny, or satiny fabric appears festive to me. Metallic fabrics or having metallic threads in fabric gives a dressy appearance. A fine knit sweater can be dressy (or can be made so with jewelry).   

Places to look:

INC brand at Macy's. My favorite brand for dressy tops.

Ann Taylor - Much of their clothing is on the dressy and/or business side. 

White House Black Market - some very pretty tops

Honored Contributor

Re: NOT “CASUAL” TOPS

[ Edited ]

There are so many tops that QVC sells that the hosts describe as "dress it up / dress it down."  Or how you can "elevate" your tee shirt by added some accessory.

I guess that doesn't always work in real life, does it?   Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

It's not about what you don't like and it seems like you don't like very much.  You go into a store, any store any store and you look for tops or blouses that are not tee shirts or sweatshirts or atheleisure wear.  Pick a couple that you like.  My "go to" look for non summer months when I want to look nice but I don't want to be too dressed up is a black turtleneck/black pants combo or navy turtleneck/navy pants combo.  I can add some pizazz with jewelry.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Since when does novelty equate to dressy?? Less is more, solid colors are always dressier than a print.

Me thinks you're just coming up with a more creative way to complain about the things you don't like....

Woman Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NOT “CASUAL” TOPS

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

We were invited to a Wine 'N Cheese thing last night...4:30-6:30. Not cocktail attire, for sure, but not my usual tees or sweaters either. 

I stood in my closet realizing that "nicer" tops are non-existent in there. I've passed on the peplums, fancy balloon sleeves, lace trims or all over lace and the shark hems. Short of sparkles and other adornments, what would be appropriate w/ black slacks for these occasions that may come up and where should I look?

There are two Dennis Basso blouses  that tie at the neck   one is white/black the other is a copper/brown  Dennis Basso Printed Textured Satin Bow Blouse   These are dressy but not over the top . You may want to look at these two if shopping on QVC

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind to OP

Respected Contributor

@Shanus I have a few long sleeved blouses that are on the  "dressier" side, one is black with an understated ruffled placket down the button front.  The other is a blush pink, no ruffles.  Another is dove gray.

I shy away from the "trendy" stuff most of the time.  I love blazers and have them in different lengths and colors.  I have a blue velvet one, a black longer one, and another black one with tuxedo accents.

A jewel toned turtle neck and a white collared shirt with real French cuffs and links,  or a sleeveless shell or camisole, and black slacks, dressy flats, a string of pearls or a vintage lapel pin, a nice cuff bracelet, and an evening clutch and I'm ready to go.

I'm a "hat" gal, too, so I have berets, even in velvet, to wear with dressier outfits.  That's part of my "signature" look which helps to camouflage my ever present "bad hair" life!

As to where to look, that's a tough one.  I routinely check Beall's, Belk, Macys, Nordstrum, Lord and Taylor, and here on the Q.  I have a Dennis Basso white French cuff shirt from here that I picked up as a lunchtime special that is wonderful.

Sometimes I just type in the type of blouse I'm looking for and see what stores come up.  Have patience--the world is your shopping oyster due to the web.

Vintage and upscale thrift stores and websites can also provide treasures.  Enjoy the search!

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Shanus I have a few long sleeved blouses that are on the  "dressier" side, one is black with an understated ruffled placket down the button front.  The other is a blush pink, no ruffles.  Another is dove gray.

I shy away from the "trendy" stuff most of the time.  I love blazers and have them in different lengths and colors.  I have a blue velvet one, a black longer one, and another black one with tuxedo accents.

A jewel toned turtle neck and a white collared shirt with real French cuffs and links,  or a sleeveless shell or camisole, and black slacks, dressy flats, a string of pearls or a vintage lapel pin, a nice cuff bracelet, and an evening clutch and I'm ready to go.

I'm a "hat" gal, too, so I have berets, even in velvet, to wear with dressier outfits.  That's part of my "signature" look which helps to camouflage my ever present "bad hair" life!

As to where to look, that's a tough one.  I routinely check Beall's, Belk, Macys, Nordstrum, Lord and Taylor, and here on the Q.  I have a Dennis Basso white French cuff shirt from here that I picked up as a lunchtime special that is wonderful.

Sometimes I just type in the type of blouse I'm looking for and see what stores come up.  Have patience--the world is your shopping oyster due to the web.

Vintage and upscale thrift stores and websites can also provide treasures.  Enjoy the search!

Thanks @aroc3435 . I found a cropped velvet jacket today that I think will dress up any outfit. Great minds think alike. 

Trusted Contributor

I  have several Susan Graver tops on hand for those events that I'm going to wear pants but I want a more elevated look.