Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,034
Registered: ‎06-10-2010

@Love to Run wrote:

Yep--closed necklines, elastic waistbands, tea-length dresses, knee-length shorts, elbow-length sleeves, semi-fit everything, 3 seasons behind the trend, blah blah blah.


@Love to Run   Oh, no....this means I'm matronly! Closed neckline so my purple open heart surgery scar doesn't show, elastic waistbands as I swell up 2 or 3 times bigger when I eat, and even tea length dresses are out now because of varicose veins and a venous leg. However, I am still young at heart! Ha! Oh, I forgot my wigs. I am losing my hair and even if I had hair...... my shoulder impingements keep me from doing much above my head. At this point, I'm just glad to breathe, see, hear, and talk!

 

Seriously now, I pretty much stick to long slacks, tops, blazers, vests and low heeled shoes, a touch of jewely, makeup and that's as good as it's gonna get.  Enjoy your youth.  It was so nice while it lasted!      

Honored Contributor
Posts: 29,296
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

@On It wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Anything can look 'matronly'. Just depends on how something is styled. That makes all the difference in the world.

 

To me 'matronly' is what the women on The Golden Girls wore.


I am laughing. It is all a matter of age and an individual's perspective. I thought the younger three particularly Rose and Blanche were well-dressed. Sophia was the only one who looked matronly to me. Keeping in mind that she had just escaped Shady Pines tells you my perspective.LOL


 

 

 

If you wore the clothes from The Golden Girls today, then I would say you would look matronly. That's what I was trying to say. Does that make sense? @On It 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,007
Registered: ‎11-16-2014

@jubilant wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

Yep--closed necklines, elastic waistbands, tea-length dresses, knee-length shorts, elbow-length sleeves, semi-fit everything, 3 seasons behind the trend, blah blah blah.


@Love to Run   Oh, no....this means I'm matronly! Closed neckline so my purple open heart surgery scar doesn't show, elastic waistbands as I swell up 2 or 3 times bigger when I eat, and even tea length dresses are out now because of varicose veins and a venous leg. However, I am still young at heart! Ha! Oh, I forgot my wigs. I am losing my hair and even if I had hair...... my shoulder impingements keep me from doing much above my head. At this point, I'm just glad to breathe, see, hear, and talk!

 

Seriously now, I pretty much stick to long slacks, tops, blazers, vests and low heeled shoes, a touch of jewely, makeup and that's as good as it's gonna get.  Enjoy your youth.  It was so nice while it lasted!      


Matronly in my book is only a state of mind. The fact that you kept your sense of humor makes you a whole lot less matronly in your thought processes than overly critical self claimed fashion experts on all things "matronly"

 

I"ll sit beside you @jubilant on the same bench!💐👗👚🧥👠👕

Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,540
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

I thought QVC was for older women. I don't know any young ones who have even heard of it. My sister is 60 and she has never heard of QVC. So are the posters who are complaining about matronly young? 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 27,647
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

From what I see lately, "matronly" has come to mean anything respectable, anything not hot, anything a Kardashian wouldn't wear to get married in, no boobs hanging out, pants loose enough to sit down in, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,121
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

@Mumy wrote:

Why are the fashions on QVC very matronly and the fashions on HSN more current and fashionable?


In my opinion, the word matronly, means it's old-lady looking.  In other words on women of a particular age would wear said clothing articles.

 

One likely caters to a certain segment of our population more than the other.  This is my educated opinion.

 

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/matronly





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,082
Registered: ‎05-10-2010

That's not true and I think you know it.  You are just stirring the pot, having some fun.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,753
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
Everyone has their own different idea of what "matronly" is. I've seen some young folks in matronly (my opinion) clothes.

Besides, the only clothing I see on QVC is jogging pants and lounging pajamas. Do they even have fashion?
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,975
Registered: ‎05-15-2016

Their clothes look the same as they did 20 years ago so could seem matronly to some but classic to others. Some of the HSN clothing looks kind of chintzy but they do seem to branch out a lot more than QVC. Fortunately no one has to shop at either. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,206
Registered: ‎02-05-2011

I agree with you. The items on HSN look more updated, but they also look cheap, like walmart style.