Trusted Contributor

Re: Kiss Retail Stores Good-Bye ...

I don't agree with "kiss retail good bye".  Yes, it will be scaled down but nothing can replace looking at something in person and trying on differnt styles from diffent designers along with trying on different sizes.   Amazon will never replace the stores that I shop in.  Being able to order thing, get them home and try them on before paying is not an incentive to me.  I do some shopping on Amazon but not much.  I'm not a big fan.

Contributor

I have several large malls in my area that are either almost empty, or have already been torn down.  I remember when two of them opened. 

Consumers (especially younger ones) just don't seem to see mall shopping as a fun past-time anymore. 

I never enjoyed the huge malls in my area, but I appreciate a smaller mall, and definately a main street shopping experience.

I do order from Amazon, but I've gotten a couple of "duds" as well ... one item I returned seemed to be a knock off.

Respected Contributor

I don't think retail stores are closing up shop just yet. They do serve a purpose for a lot of consumers. Many,many shoppers like to try things on first, Like to feel the fabric (notice I said fabric, NOT fabrication, haha) and the interaction with a live human being!  I must say I have not been to the 2 larger malls near where I live in many months. We have a nice independent woman's clothing shop in the village and the Outlets are a short 10 minute drive to the next town over.  But even the Outlets are not safe from store closures. I was there a few weeks ago and when one store closes down, the next store to fill its' spot is very slow. There were 6 empty store fronts in one small plaza alone. So are retail stores down for the count...a bit premature. But they are hurting badly. They have to think of new ways to attract customers that are now shopping online. 

Frequent Contributor

I worked at a Mall for 5 years in the Boston area until last August.  The numbers of shoppers entering the Malls is consistently down year over year.  Many store fronts are vacant on a rotating basis.  The trent here in the Boston area and I assume elsewhere is the open air mall shopping experience.  When Macy's and J.C. Penney leave area Malls that leaves a huge void and an obviously large space to fill.  

Some of the stores in  this area leave the Malls in favor of that setting (i.e. Talbots and Pottery Barn).  The rents are extrememly high and the numbers are consistently on the deccline for many of the retailers.  I would not be surprised if we see indoor Malls close and more outdoor Malls open.  Many brick and mortor stores are return centers for on-line shopping.   

Amazon just opened a Brick and Mortor bookstore in one of our open air Malls and purchased Whole Foods.  All retailers need to be on their game and coming up with new ideas to reach consumers.  This will not get better.  Look at retail stocks, that tells the story.  Never has been easy, however, it is getting tougher and tougher each year to make the numbers work.  They can't survive by always having sales and being a return center.  The metrics don't work that way for too long.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Danielle46 wrote:

I don't agree with "kiss retail good bye".  Yes, it will be scaled down but nothing can replace looking at something in person and trying on differnt styles from diffent designers along with trying on different sizes.   Amazon will never replace the stores that I shop in.  Being able to order thing, get them home and try them on before paying is not an incentive to me.  I do some shopping on Amazon but not much.  I'm not a big fan.

In a perfect world, all our favorite brick and mortar stores would remain intact.  But just because I prefer looking at something in person and trying on different styles/sizes from different designers, they are not going to cater to me.  The bottom line is their bottom line.  When it is no longer profitable to keep stores open they will be shuttered.

I heard a financial expert on tv yesterday say the same.  He indicated that Amazon is not the only big online retailer as Target and Walmart continue to beef up their presence, but a time will come when we go out to make a purchase ONLY for items not sold online.  What is that--gasoline?

In full disclosure I order one or two fashion items per year from retailers who have online sites, but I think long and hard before I do, cognizant of what is happening to our shopping choices. 

Respected Contributor

There are a number of "dead mall enthusiasts" who go to slow or abandoned malls, shopping centers, and department stores and make videos showing the closed storefronts, and will also talk about the history of the stores from opening to closing. It's very interesting and sad to see how thriving a lot of these places used to be. There are tons on YouTube to view.

Honored Contributor

I am sure they recycle the clothes you don't want.  How many people are trying on the same clothes?  Amazon wants to be a monopoly.  I would not buy clothes from Amazon but prefer a women's clothing store or QVC for some tops.  A lot more people are shopping on line (seniors, baby boomers) and I am one of them since I am a senior now.  I never shopped on line in my younger days.  I loved going to the outdoor malls and shopping, stopping for lunch and it was fun and relaxing.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength