Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just a reminder, It pays to read reviews before you purchase anything !

Sometimes I wash my clothes first before wearing, sometimes I don't. 

If I am not going to wear it for awhile, say before my 30 days is up, I will wash it.  That way I can inspect it again after washing to be sure it held up and did not shrink.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I think it was probably 40 years ago I read an article in Consumer Reports about the amounts of contaminates on new clothing. Particularly eye opening was the amount of bacteria, especially feces found on clothing.

Over those many years clothes have increasingly been sprayed and dunked in many chemicals for waterproofing, for softening, for stain repelling. There's the excess dyes, the pesticides, the insecticides, the possible human carcinogens. And more recent concern the viability of some viruses lasting on clothing.

So I wash every new garment before I wear it.

Respected Contributor

I no longer buy anything "velour" (unless made, created, manufactured by American manufacturing)

The reason for my non-purchase is, most all velour clothes, &  items now, are made in China, (or overseas somewhere), sooo

And their "velour" NAP  has been almost always the wrong direction! 

When washing/drying "velour" items,  I've found that lint collects in the uppermost stitched areas, (exp gathered stitched areas, ex,  at the neckline, arm holes, etc)  This is a pain to keep these lint free.

(I know,  I know,  I'm picky!)

The fabric "nap" is supposed to be *smoothest, when stroking downward*, (not upward). 

(Same with corduroy, nap supposed to be **smoothest when stroking DOWNward**, *not* upward..

(Admittedly, I dont know if NAP is an issue with SG items, tho)

(I hope this doesnt offend anyone)

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   I am the opposite.  I would never wear anything without washing it first except possibly for a coat.  I don't want chemicals or fabric that may have been who knows where or touched by who knows and sprayed by who knows what.  Then been packed with many other items in a large container and spent who know how long on a dock or a ship then travelled many miles.

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

I no longer buy anything "velour" (unless made, created, manufactured by American manufacturing)

The reason for my non-purchase is, most all velour clothes, &  items now, are made in China, (or overseas somewhere), sooo

When washing/drying "velour" items,  I've found that lint collects in the uppermost stitched areas, (exp gathered stitched areas, ex,  at the neckline, arm holes, etc)  This is a pain to keep these lint free.

The fabric "nap" is supposed to be *smoothest, when stroking downward*, (not upward). 

(Same with corduroy, nap supposed to be **smoothest when stroking DOWNward**, *not* upward..

@MakeUpMaidn 

Velour was widely sold c.1979-1980 and it was lovely.  Totally different character from what is being pushed through the China mills of today.  No, I wouldn't buy any today although I had some very nice items back in that time of quality fabric by quality manufacturers from high-end department and botique stores.

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn 

Velour was widely sold c.1979-1980 and it was lovely.  Totally different character from what is being pushed through the China mills of today.  No, I wouldn't buy any today although I had some very nice items back in that time of quality fabric by quality manufacturers from high-end department and botique stores.

I remember that velour.  It was the best.  

I do have a Peace Love World velour sweatshirt and matching joggers that don't shed one bit.  Just a little in the lint catcher in the dryer.    Love it, but it's not the same as I remember back then. 

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

Don't people wash garments before they wear them?

I don't think I've ever experienced shedding with clothing, or throws, or anything the way some people report in reviews. And I certainly don't lead a charmed life.

@Etoile308    Goid heavens no.  I never wash brand new clothes before wearing them.  They never look as nice after washing as they do fresh out if the package.  Why wash them?

I recently bought the SG faux suede sherpa lined coat which I intend to return.  It shed sherpa over me while I had it on my lap.  If I cared, I'd tumble it in the dryer a bit before wearing but I'll never put it on.

I don't either unless it does have a chemical smell, and if it's too strong, I return it.

There was nothing like the way clothes smelled from a department store.  It's like new car smell to me.  And your so right, they never look the same after laundering.

Valued Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  I ALWAYS check the reviews before ordering and 9 times out of 10 I decide not to order. I rarely order from QVC anymore. I've found really nice items on Amazon and if I need to make a return it's a 5 minute drive to drop it off and instant credit.   

Honored Contributor

I always read the Q reviews before purchasing.  I've sometimes changed my mind about a purchase after reading them.   However, oftentimes, half of the reviews are bogus.

Trusted Contributor

I usually won't buy anything without reading the reviews first.  Many times an item is significantly reduced because there are quality/ design issues & poor reviews.  I did buy a recent TSV Hair tool and there were no reviews.  Today I saw lots of reviews and they were not good.  I didn't receive it yet but when it arrives, I'm not going to try it.  I'm sending it back.