Valued Contributor

@XmasCarol wrote:

OP here again. 

Personally, I also feel a sheath can/may be a classic, so I listened to you again and tried the sheath with two other jackets.  I really like the way it looks with the black jacket, as that jacket is fitted and shows off the waist.  I like the color of the red jacket but will need to figure out a belt if I wear that one as it isn't as fitted and am back to that boxy look.  But I love the pop of color the red gives the sheath.

I am NOT good with the camera.  I tried taking a picture while I was wearing each outfit and that turned into a big FAIL!.  I do not have a Smart phone, using mine may be different/more difficult than yours (or perhaps it's just the operator).  So I apologize that the pics are again on the hanger and not that easy to see, but I think you can get the general idea.

Lola, thank you for taking the time to post those photos.  They have given me additional ideas. 

I tried the jacket with jeans and dress pants; it's just too boxy.  Will be parting with the jacket. 

And thanks again to all of you for sharing your thoughts and ideas.  I really do appreciate it!

Picture1219151242_1.jpgPicture1219151242_2.jpg

These looks are just as outdated as your original oufit.

Trusted Contributor

Honestly, I think if you have to put this much thought into putting together an outfit with a particular item, it is highly unlikely to work with anything.  You have to ask yourself, are you really going to feel good in something that there's so much doubt about?  Go and find something current to replace this.  Let it go.

Esteemed Contributor

@XmasCarol

Hi again!  I went back and read 2 of your posts.  If you care to, it might be helpful to know a little more about you...are you retired?  Working and need dressier clothes? Limited resources?  Planning to lose more weight (congratulations, BTW)?  Are you tall?  Petite? 

You said in your OP that you liked the look of the sheath w/jacket, but weren't sure if it was outdated.  Since then, you have decided that this particular outfit is outdated, but that the sheath/jacket look is classic.  A lot of us agree. 

I, for one, would understand wanting to keep an outfit I've always liked, especially if I had limited resources or limited occasions to wear it, but tailoring is hit or miss.  If you were going to spend $$ on updating that may or may not work, why not put that $$ toward a new outfit?  So, at the risk of mortifying my mom (yet again), I'm going to ask why you don't just go out and buy a more updated sheath/jacket outfit?   Or maybe a sheath in a neutral color and a new jacket or cardigan (or 4 LOL) that you can use with other outfits?

The second post with pics where you tried other jacket options is a step upward!  Of the 3 jackets you posted, the one I would keep is the red jacket.  I would buy a skinny belt to go with it and throw it over anything.

Again, at the risk of mortifying my mom...I'm just trying to understand...what is it about the sheath that you love?  That makes it worth keeping (separated from its matching jacket) rather than replacing?  A sheath doesn't have to cost a lot.  I wish I could see the pics more clearly...I know you tried...because the hem on the sheath is bugging me for some reason.  And the texture of it may or may not work with other items.

IMnotsoHO, The sheath goes with the jacket...literally...it goes bye bye, too...LOL! 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Is this outdated?

[ Edited ]

While most seem to agree the cut of the jacket is outdated, I wonder about the fabric of the sheath. Some knits never go out of style while others scream days of long past.

Only the OP can decide if she is pleased how she looks in the dress with a different jacket.

Personally after a significant weight loss, I'd celebrate with something new.

Honored Contributor

Those retro items seem to be 'in'.  I'd wear the sheath dress, accented with some of these suggestions.  And, actually, someone mentioned keeping the jacket open, wearing something Winter-y underneath.  Maybe a mock neck? with a nice knit, fringed scarf.  SG offers one........it's quite large, and would cover the deep V of the jacket.  Just a thought.............It's nice to try something 'different', just to see how it looks.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is this outdated?

[ Edited ]

@italia8140 wrote:

@XmasCarol wrote:

OP here again. 

Personally, I also feel a sheath can/may be a classic, so I listened to you again and tried the sheath with two other jackets.  I really like the way it looks with the black jacket, as that jacket is fitted and shows off the waist.  I like the color of the red jacket but will need to figure out a belt if I wear that one as it isn't as fitted and am back to that boxy look.  But I love the pop of color the red gives the sheath.

I am NOT good with the camera.  I tried taking a picture while I was wearing each outfit and that turned into a big FAIL!.  I do not have a Smart phone, using mine may be different/more difficult than yours (or perhaps it's just the operator).  So I apologize that the pics are again on the hanger and not that easy to see, but I think you can get the general idea.

Lola, thank you for taking the time to post those photos.  They have given me additional ideas. 

I tried the jacket with jeans and dress pants; it's just too boxy.  Will be parting with the jacket. 

And thanks again to all of you for sharing your thoughts and ideas.  I really do appreciate it!

Picture1219151242_1.jpgPicture1219151242_2.jpg

These looks are just as outdated as your original oufit.

I've tried to stay out of this because I didn't want to be unkind, but since you asked, I do think the original & these additional variations all do look outdated.  Do you need a very conservative look for your job?  Otherwise I'd ditch both the jacket and the dress.  As others have said, it happens to all of us - something we've loved just doesn't look current anymore.  When that happens, I bid it a fond farewell and donate it.  As far as the retro look being "in", that only applies to the very young.  For those of us of a certain age, retro just makes us look older and out of style.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I would just wear the dress and leave the jacket in the closet.  The dress looks plain.  You  could dress it up with jewelry.

Honored Contributor
Instead of the jacket try a cocoon style sweater? I think the shape would update the look. It would also show off your new slimmer figure :-)