Honored Contributor

I think it looks extremely dated.  Especially the jacket. The dress might be salvagable but I'm not even sure about that.

Do you really love this or do you love it because you can fit in it again and you are happy and proud, as you should be. 

Trusted Contributor

I would definitely let this go.  I think there will be some amazing sales after Xmas, so go get yourself a great bargain on something to replace it that you will love and feel good in.

Respected Contributor

hi there,

a sheath never goes out of style, so you're safe there. 

the jacket on the other hand is outdated.  the style right now would be shorter and more fitted.  you could change out the buttons, take out the shoulder pads and wear a large fringed scarf and maybe get away with it, but i wouldn't.

Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone, this is the OP. 

My thanks to all for helping me see this outfit through your eyes.  I have always thought it was very pretty, it is well made and comfortable to wear.  Having said that, I understand what many of you are saying.  Taking out the shoulder pads would alter the look of the sleeve.  I just tried on the jacket again and it is too boxy.  I will not be keeping it.  Hard to let the favorites go, isn't it?

Thank you for all of the replies, my feelings were not hurt nor was I offended.  I am thankful for your help.

Have a good weekend!

Honored Contributor

It's hard to tell from pictures but it seems like a classic style.  It doesn't look dated to me, it looks sedate and understated.  A bold necklace or earrings would liven it up.

Honored Contributor

OP

Just because something is a "classic style" doesn't mean you have to wear it forever.   The color is a bit bland,  maybe if you need to, just keep the dress and let the jacket go

I think you should look for something else.  You didn't say want you need an outfit for, if you can make it to the stores, there are so many sales now I bet you can find something wonderful

Honored Contributor

I don't believe a simple sheath ever really goes out of style does it?

I think looking dated or oldfashioned will depend on what you do with the rest of the ensemple; make-up, hair, shoes, etc..

The Nest rep looks dated to me while others think it's a 'classy' look. I find it disturbing  and it takes me back to a time when women were submissives and asked their husbands before they had lunch with a friend, etc..

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I don't believe a simple sheath ever really goes out of style does it?

I think looking dated or oldfashioned will depend on what you do with the rest of the ensemple; make-up, hair, shoes, etc..

The Nest rep looks dated to me while others think it's a 'classy' look. I find it disturbing  and it takes me back to a time when women were submissives and asked their husbands before they had lunch with a friend, etc..

ensemble that is!

Honored Contributor

@XmasCarol

Here is a blog that might give some ideas for styling a sheath.  I agree with @jackthebear and @ECBG that the jacket should go but the sheath might be okay.

http://www.extrapetite.com/2014/03/wardrobe-staples-series-styling-sheath.html

how to style a sheath dress

Staple series tweed dress5 resized

Staple series tweed dress6 resized

Staple series tweed dress1 resized

Staple series tweed dress9 resized

Respected Contributor

My vote is - outdated.  But, if you split it up you could still use the pieces.  I wouldn't hesitate to put the jacket with jeans.  Wear another jacket over the dress.