Respected Contributor

@lolakimono  It was nice of you to try, but that sheath is "updated". LOL

i think the OP will be pleased when she tries something new. If money is an issue (which she in no way insinuated) don't forget consignment stores. We have some very nice ones that only accept current fashions in excellent condition. 

Respected Contributor

Sorry but to my eyes the fabric and shape of the jacket look outdated.  If it's just a simple sheath dress you can update it with accessories.

Honored Contributor

I agree with those who said the sheath dress is classic. I would wear it with a different cardigan or jacket that is more modern - maybe something black. I think black and camel are a great combination.

Occasional Contributor

OP here again. 

Personally, I also feel a sheath can/may be a classic, so I listened to you again and tried the sheath with two other jackets.  I really like the way it looks with the black jacket, as that jacket is fitted and shows off the waist.  I like the color of the red jacket but will need to figure out a belt if I wear that one as it isn't as fitted and am back to that boxy look.  But I love the pop of color the red gives the sheath.

I am NOT good with the camera.  I tried taking a picture while I was wearing each outfit and that turned into a big FAIL!.  I do not have a Smart phone, using mine may be different/more difficult than yours (or perhaps it's just the operator).  So I apologize that the pics are again on the hanger and not that easy to see, but I think you can get the general idea.

Lola, thank you for taking the time to post those photos.  They have given me additional ideas. 

I tried the jacket with jeans and dress pants; it's just too boxy.  Will be parting with the jacket. 

And thanks again to all of you for sharing your thoughts and ideas.  I really do appreciate it!

Picture1219151242_1.jpgPicture1219151242_2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@XmasCarol

Here are some things that might work, from Land's End.  I thought you might like the texture of this one (available in other colors too).

Super Contributor

I have not read the other replys, but in a word yes.  But is all hope lost? NO.  Here is what I would do.

1)  Take the jacket in at the waist so it is slightly nipped so it is not straight up and down.

2)  Change out the buttons, to something more uplifting. 

3)  Wear a scarf to brighten up the outfit.  

Voila!  New outfit! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@XmasCarol

From Belk-

Free People Structured Washed Blazer

Tahari ASL Aztec Multi Flyaway Jacket

Kasper Sparkle Tweed Jacket

Honored Contributor

@XmasCarol

From Belk-

Robert Rodriguez Trisha Open Front CardiganCable and Gauge Embellished Cardigan

Calvin Klein Pearl Embellished Shrug

Calvin Klein Flyaway Solid Shrug

Honored Contributor

@XmasCarol

I think you are on the right track Carol. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Occasional Contributor

Thank you again for taking the time, Lola.  You've been very helpful  Smiley Happy