Honored Contributor

Re: Is there anyone besides me who won't be sporting a maxi skirt/dress this summer?

A word of warning: LOTS of those skirts are made of material that look opaque when light is coming at them, but in a brightly lit restaurant, sunlight, or any light coming from behind you and through you YOU CAN SEE EVERYTHING! Especially the ones that are a lot poly seem to have this problem.

I saw a lady in a restaurant last week with a dress on that was shorter in front and hung way down in the back. She was standing in front of the hostess desk, and the light coming from the barroom was absolutely showing everything she had. You could see her shape as if she was wearing nothing. SO BE CAREFUL and look at that skirt in light coming from behind before you go out. I'm sure the poor woman would have been mortified. Her dress was a dark red and black print that looked opaque when she moved out of the light. Wow! Scared me!

Respected Contributor

Re: Is there anyone besides me who won't be sporting a maxi skirt/dress this summer?

My legs are one of my best features, and I've not found a maxi that looks great on me.

Respected Contributor

Same here!

Respected Contributor

Personally, I hate maxi dresses/skirts. I prefer shorter, straight skirts that come to just above my knees. LOL, I'm told that I still have good legs! I really dislike the maxis that are so long that they drag the floor. I did buy a maxi dress four or five years ago. Wore it once. I've said a few times that I would cut it off and make it shorter, as it has a pretty print with nice colors, but it's still hanging in the closet.

Honored Contributor

i have great legs also (thank you mom Smile), but that doesnt stop me from wearing pants OR maxis. love variety in my clothing styles.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Not I! I can't see how yards of fabric is cool in 90 degree weather!
Trusted Contributor

I have one maxi skirt I bought a couple of years ago. Maxis are not a staple for me, but if I see another skirt or dress that I like and it also happens to look good on me, I'll probably buy it.

Esteemed Contributor

I've resisted the trend until now! Just bought one this week.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

I love my maxi skirts and will be breaking them out soon!

Super Contributor

On 4/11/2014 Jackielee said:

I am 5'3" and i bought two Liz Lange maxi dresses from HSN. These dresses are the best fitting dresses that I've ever owned, I swear! I didn't think that I'd look good in a maxi dress but decided to go ahead and order them as they were both on sale. I wore one of them to church last Sunday and ,after church, stopped to do some shopping at Costco. As I was checking out, a man came up to me and said, " Girl, I just want you to know that that dress looks fabulous on you!! It compliments your frame so well! And take it from me, we gay guys know what looks good!" I've taken that compliment and will carry that every time I wear that dress. I took a chance buying a maxi dress and love it. FOr one reason, I'm 62 and my legs aren't looking that great anymore and they are so comfortable. What is also great about maxi dresses is that they are so easy to dress up or dress down.

When it was offered as TS, I wanted to order the black/white. By the time I made up my mind, it was sold out.

Liz Lange Ultimate Striped Maxi Dress

ETA: This one is on sale for $39.90 right now (my size is sold out -- of course):

Completely Me by Liz Lange Ultimate Maxi Dress