Honored Contributor

Re: Imagine These Ladies In Pajamas In The 1950's.

What I don't miss is the scent/odor of dry cleaned garments.

OMGosh.......How toxic were those fumes.  We used to air out our dry cleaned garments.  

So much easier today......machine or hand wash almost everything.  

Also, it wasn't any fun trying to 'perfectly' match the colors of our sweaters with wool skirts.  All of those shades and tints of pastels. 

Going from store to store.  I don't know how we managed to find the time. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I happen to think people looked much nicer,clothing was so much better,just wait until years from now someone post pictures of whatpeople wear now!!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

What I don't miss is the scent/odor of dry cleaned garments.

OMGosh.......How toxic were those fumes.  We used to air out our dry cleaned garments.  

So much easier today......machine or hand wash almost everything.  

Also, it wasn't any fun trying to 'perfectly' match the colors of our sweaters with wool skirts.  All of those shades and tints of pastels. 

Going from store to store.  I don't know how we managed to find the time. 

@ROMARY 

Totally with you!  I couldn't stand the "a" line skirts and cardigan sets.  I'm thankful I got to see attractive new shapes come in.

Honored Contributor

Oh, and many women strived to be / look very slim.

I recall several of my schoolmates  / acquaintences taking their mothers' water pills in order to keep their weight down for that 'skinny' look.  

And, then, their were all of those 'girdle' types of lingerie.......seems as though there was a constant/continuous struggle to 'look' as thin as possible.  

Talk about stress........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY   I didn't have any trouble trying to match.  Wore a lot of dresses and suits to work, not skirts and tops.  Pants and tops tho - no problem.  And then as now I found plenty of time to shop.  One of my hobbies!

I sure do agree with you about the dry cleaning smell.  Awful.  Every Saturday one of my errands was to go the dry cleaners and if you were there by Noon, there was a much reduced cost (don't remember how much, but a big reduction.  Saturday was my day to sleep in and it was a real chore getting to the cleaners on time after being out late Friday night.

Respected Contributor

@tansy   My mother made me wear white gloves to Church.  And I did wear those lightweight girdles with hooks for stockings.  Seemed normal at the time. 

I also did the fancy teased hair.  My hairdresser was an artist at hair styling.  I did go 2 x a week tho as she was in the building across from the building where I worked downtown so I would go on my lunch hour.  I wrapped my hair in toilet paper with a net over it that tied to keep it in place.

I have a picture of me sleeping the night before I got married with that pink net tied around my head.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyM23 @I remember trying to sleep in rollers with bristles inside the roller.  Ouch!

During high school I worked the counter at a dry cleaners.  I loved operating the big motorized racks.  

Respected Contributor

what strikes me is how slim most of them are. America is experiencing an epidemic of obesity. I think someone in the medical field said it's America's worst health problem.

Honored Contributor

Imagine that picture to someone from 1910.  They'd be horrified by the scandalous way those women are dressed.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Commenting re: another poster's post:

Yes, I sometimes/often say 'Good old days', but, being realistic, not everyone was living  'good days'.  

I guess I was in middle school when one of my friends had returned from a vacation in the South.......I remember saying 'How nice", etc., etc. and she told me what she observed, which wasn't good at all. 

I'll never forget our conversation.

I was shocked, mainly because we grew up and lived in a very diversified community, thank goodness.