Honored Contributor

Way too many. 

Not for winter, I’m good there, but for summer/spring/fall.  Those three seasons are all the same tops. 

I’ve thinned the herd and given many to Goodwill and taken some to consignment but, from the looks of my closet, it hasn’t even made a dent. And, I have to admit, I’ve bought some more for this year.  However, looking for the silver lining here, the amount I’ve thinned out is more than what I’ve brought in. 

I’m not like that on pants at all.  Very few pairs of pants.  

I’m going to try to hold off on buying any more tops. 

Anyone else have way too many of one type of clothing item?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: I have WAY too many tops

[ Edited ]

So do I!  I moved recently and donated a lot of clothing, tops in particular, but it doesn't appear as if I'm missing any at all. I still search the Lunchtime, Primetime Specials and HSN every day looking for a good deal even though I don't need anything else! I know, I know...I should stop checking the websites but I can't help it!Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@gidgetghI suspect we all have more tops than we could ever wear.  You're not alone!

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty much set with all of my clothing right now. I did read that you should have about 5 tops for each pr of pants...egad with all of the pants I have just bought, I would need to find another closet!

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I'm pretty much set with all of my clothing right now. I did read that you should have about 5 tops for each pr of pants...egad with all of the pants I have just bought, I would need to find another closet!

@cherry- I wear jeans 99% of the time so I guess that means I only need 5 tops then. Oops. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Me too!!  I was thinking just that when I was putting laundry away.  I can't stop myself from buying reasonably priced tops and since I don't go out to the office to work now, I work from my home office; I don't need a lot of clothes.  I'm spending less $$ on my tops but I'm still buying more than I need.  Next weekend, I'm going to go through them and donate some.  It's going to be a big bag!  I have cardigans that I have to donate too.  I also have too many shoes/boots/sandals.  Way more than I will ever need.  

Respected Contributor

I am in the process now of switching winter clothes to spring/summer.  Boy I have way too much of everything but I like new clothes too much!  I took several armloads to consignment last week and have a huge pile waiting for donation pickup this week, but like other posters can't see much of a difference - doesn't seem like I've gained any more space.

The rule of 5 tops for each pair of pants doesn't apply to those of us who have many pairs of different colors of pants and many tops I don't think.   I automatically have 5 pairs of pants for each top and 5 tops for each pair of pants at least -  egads!

Honored Contributor

I have too many light weight jackets and I just bought four more!

Honored Contributor

Same here, lots of tops.  I did thin out quite a bit recently, but like many of you, it hardly looks like it.  I will do another round soon.

It's very much like when I donated bags and bags of books, my bookcase still looked the same because I had had books behind other books!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I have oodles of tops.  Being a snowbird has really escalated my problem.