Respected Contributor

Re: I have WAY too many tops

[ Edited ]

I buy lots of tops, compared to bottoms. They're just more fun. 

I've bought too many sweaters, especially bulky ones. I don't get enough wear out of my sweaters to justify a big collection, given our relatively mild winters. Sweaters are also more of a hassle to care for.

I think I was influenced by fashion bloggers, many of whom live where there are long, cold winters. I need to be more careful about that.

I put some older sweaters in a plastic container in another closet. If I don't miss them, they'll be donated next fall. Maybe that would work with some of OP's tops. It can be hard to let go of things we've spent money on, but putting them in a "holding tank" for awhile can make the transition less painful.

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of tops because line drying thick sweaters in the winter can take a couple of days.  If I don't do my "work" laundry after a week, I have a drying space problem.  Then, I go to items hung on velvet hangers in the laundry room.  

Right now we have a manager at the other end of the state who recently lost a parent, and a week ago we had loaned a manager to another store for a week  just before the mgr had her loss, so the two were gone at the same time!   My  hours have climbed!  So has the laundry, LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I have lots of tops (I live in WI so 4 seasons of everything LOL), but a ton of pants too. Just my jeans alone are a ridiculous # and always climbing. I love my jeans and have all different styles, etc (some for warmer weather, some for colder weather, some year round). Bottom line is I just have a ton of clothes. I like the choices though. But in all honesty, the variation of my wardrobe is minimal. I know what I like and find comfortable and generally stick to it.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetghwrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

@gidgetgh, I thought I'd take a look but don't see any J.Jill Wearever shirts -- just a lot of either Wearever styles.

@suzyQ3

Wearever 3/4 sleeve Easy Top. Try searching using all of that. I just looked and that’s what they call it. 

Oh, okay, thanks, @gidgetgh. I did see those, but you had mentioned "shirts." Are these tops similar to the Talbots' pima bateau that you and I collect?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

@gidgetghwrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

@gidgetgh, I thought I'd take a look but don't see any J.Jill Wearever shirts -- just a lot of either Wearever styles.

@suzyQ3

Wearever 3/4 sleeve Easy Top. Try searching using all of that. I just looked and that’s what they call it. 

Oh, okay, thanks, @gidgetgh. I did see those, but you had mentioned "shirts." Are these tops similar to the Talbots' pima bateau that you and I collect?

@suzyQ3- they’re a stretchy, lightweight material. Like roll them in a ball and pack them in a suitcase and when you pull it out there won’t be any wrinkles material. I love them. And I have every single color they have now, except white. I’ve already worn one of the sale colors a few times. The diamond print. My sister also bought that one last week. 

Different material, but similar cut and fit to the Talbots t. 

Oh, and I wash in cold and hang to dry. Easy care. 

I don't have a lot of J Jill items, but I love their Wearever tops. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Speaking of tops ,my pale blue ameba (paisley) print  , pintuck top, from talbots came, and it's a keeper

Respected Contributor

I have lots of tops, yet I keep wearing the same ones.  I have only bought a few tops this winter, so I’m being good.

I bought so many tops last year. Don’t know what I was thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

I have over 200 tops/pull-on sweaters. I have many pairs of jeans, crop pants and 2 pairs of Lisa Rinna's crepe pants (those are my dress pants). I'm retired and home most of the time - but I love picking and choosing what I want to wear each morning. I live in Southern California - so I wear my clothes all year round - just need to put on a sweatshirt or light jacket. Most of my tops came from the Q & Kohls. In the last couple of years, I started buying my long-sleeve tops (Denim & Co. & Isaac Mizrahi) in multiples. Everything is in perfect condition. I never donate anything - because I can't bear for it to leave my closet. My large, customized, walk-in closet is totally full - not one more space for a hanger. I did have to move several pairs of jeans to my armoire.

Honored Contributor

Me too! Too many sweaters and sweatshirts for fall/winter, and too many tees and tanks for spring/summer. I think it's b/c tops are easier to fit than bottoms, without trying them on, so l order many of them online.

If my closet were bigger, l'd buy even more tops, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I has thinking the same thing this morning.  Too many everyday winter tops.  Most of mine are from LandsEnd.  I live in LE cords and turtlenecks and have way too many of both.  

I'm going to weed out some of the worn cords when I switch closet for warm weather wear, and some of the heavier turtlenecks.  I've been wearing LE thermaskin tops and bottoms over the winter - I don't need the heavier tops now.