Trusted Contributor

Re: How's This For Pattern Mixing?

I love to experiment with pattern mixing, and really don't follow any rules. I rely on my fashion "gut".

I'll give this woman an A for effort, but her choice doesn't really work to my eye.

One thing that tends to really inspire me is observing women who have island country ethnicities. They have an inherent instinct on how to mix colors and patterns.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I don't like that print with the striped pants

@Greeneyedlady21   And neither do I.  You have to know how to put prints together and stripes.  She obviously does not know how.  They have to have some correlation: similar prints but various sizes, similar colors of various checks or plaids or stripes, and having only two looks totally amiss.  There must be a variety of them.  Three is a good start.  Five is much better. 

I have tried to look at her blog/youtube.  I subscribed but ....

Honored Contributor

Lose the -- bag, - earrings, - whatever that is on the zipper pull, - footwear and the -  front tuck on the jacket.

I'd wear the jacket and pants but with plain canvas tote and canvas flats.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not a look I would emulate....both from a fashion standpoint as well as the fit of the clothes on her body.  If she loves it, then it suits her...just not my style.

Honored Contributor

I think it works.  But I wouldn't wear it.

Honored Contributor

While I don't care for it, her point is that you can mix patterns without being totally outrageous. That hair flopping in her face needs to be cut shorter (IMO of course).
Esteemed Contributor

In most cases, I'm not a fan of mixing patterns,  The top alone is horrible to me.  Not only do I not care for how the look came together but it also appears overly sloppy..

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

She can pull it off, I would look like a ridiculous clown.

Trusted Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

I love to experiment with pattern mixing, and really don't follow any rules. I rely on my fashion "gut".

I'll give this woman an A for effort, but her choice doesn't really work to my eye.

One thing that tends to really inspire me is observing women who have island country ethnicities. They have an inherent instinct on how to mix colors and patterns.

I agree. 

Super Contributor

I think I could live with the shirt and the pants together.  

But ditch the earrings, poofs on the handbag, and the fake flowers on the shoes.  All of that together with the ties on the shirt are way too much to handle.

I follow her blog, but have never seen her wear this much together in one outfit.