Super Contributor

Re: How do you feel about stripes NOT matching up on the sides of a top?

On 4/2/2014 lulu2 said:

Hate when patterns do not match at the seams. As a seamstress I was taught to lay out pattern pieces so they match. It takes extra time and you waste material, but it is well worth it.

I would not purchase a garment where the pattern was mismatched.

I agree. I think when you have sewn your own clothing, you learn all the basics of how a garment should be constructed and you won't settle for second best.....and unmatched patterns spell cheap looking clothing to me.

Trusted Contributor

Not buying anything that doesn't match up at the sides. I'd feel so conspicuous,like everyone was looking at the mismatch.
Esteemed Contributor

I want at least an attempt to match up at the seams. Sometimes it's next to impossible to line up perfectly, depending on the style and pattern. But it shouldn't look like an abrupt break at the seams. The top posted by the OP might have been intentional in design but I wouldn't wear mis matched like this ever (even if I liked the top!)!

Esteemed Contributor

IMO, it looks tacky.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

Considering that she has said she's a freak about every seam matching I find this top rather humorous. It looks cheap. I guess matching seams only count for what's on her back.
Occasional Contributor

Unmatched stripes is not a good look.

Super Contributor

This is not too bad because of the large flower print. I think it looks awful & unprofessional on the designers part when stripes don't match!