Respected Contributor

Re: How do you feel about stripes NOT matching up on the sides of a top?

I like stripes, and I want them to match.

If you look at the new Linea Ponte Knit Tank on Louis's blog, the stripes on the tank match. In fact, the stripes on the cardigans appear to match stripes on the underlying tanks. That's quality.

I bought two blue and white striped tops at Talbot's for spring, and the stripes on both match perfectly. Those tops cost $25 apiece (on sale) as I recall, so it's not true that matching can't be done at that price point.

If stripes can't match due to the design or style of a garment, I'd rather they skip the stripes and choose a different fabric. Mismatched stripes look sloppy to me.

Respected Contributor

This one that kittymom posted is a great example of matching stripes. Also a cute top.

Honored Contributor

Cute top, but I could not stand the mismatched stripes. There is no excuse for that. It is just economy that's all. If they line the stripes up right and cut them correctly they will match. Of course, it is a challenge for the different sizes. Usually, a good seamtress and cutter will negotiate around all this. Patterns for one size are cut several layers at a time. However, the bottom cut may be off, and sometimes they throw that into a small size group and it it is sewn up more, and then cut.

Honored Contributor

My first thought is that they should match. My second thought when I looked carefully at this particular garment is that the "mismatching" was done on purpose with the edges of the colors matching to create an effect. Note that all the stripes match the same way. I did not see this top presented, so I have no idea why Susan chose this style.

I would not like that effect on my body and I'd have to see it on someone else to know whether it works for anyone else.

Sixty years ago when I started to sew and through all the years I made lots of my own clothes, I would never have not matched stripes and plaids. Now, the world has changed and if something I wouldn't have done 50 years ago happens, then I decide whether it works for me. There just aren't many absolutes any longer and the ones that matter to me have to do with character and behavior, not clothes.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/2/2014 millieshops said:

My first thought is that they should match. My second thought when I looked carefully at this particular garment is that the "mismatching" was done on purpose with the edges of the colors matching to create an effect. Note that all the stripes match the same way. I did not see this top presented, so I have no idea why Susan chose this style.

I would not like that effect on my body and I'd have to see it on someone else to know whether it works for anyone else.

Sixty years ago when I started to sew and through all the years I made lots of my own clothes, I would never have not matched stripes and plaids. Now, the world has changed and if something I wouldn't have done 50 years ago happens, then I decide whether it works for me. There just aren't many absolutes any longer and the ones that matter to me have to do with character and behavior, not clothes.

I think if you look closely you will see that the stripes connect in many different ways except matched.

Respected Contributor

Slopping construction.

Contributor

Stripes absolutely must match.

Contributor

On 4/2/2014 peachesncream said:

This one that kittymom posted is a great example of matching stripes. Also a cute top.

Stripes done perfectly!

Honored Contributor

I'm a sewer and won't buy or wear anything that's that sloppily constructed.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/2/2014 Dakotah said:
On 4/2/2014 peachesncream said:

Denim & Co. Perfect Jersey 3/4 Sleeve Color-Block Scoop Neck Top

Stripes done perfectly!

Denim & Co, and only $29.00! So it can be done at a lower price point than SG's......