Honored Contributor

Re: High prices on everything

@handygal2 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Now I wish I had learned how to sew. LOL!!!

I could make my own cute tops.

I don't have any patience now so not a good idea.

@Nightowlz : I used to sew back in the day. It’s a time-consuming endeavor. Especially tedious was matching up plaids at the seams of jackets, skirts, blouses, etc.. lt takes a whole lot of patience, which l no longer have!

To this day, my pet peeve with clothing is plaids or horizontal stripes that don’t match up at the seams. This is all too common, sometimes even with expensive brands!

It's almost not worth it to sew anything these days. The prices of fabric, notions and patterns are not what they use to be. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda wrote:

@bewise  When I was working I never found the quality of QVC clothing lines that great and the fit was "hit or miss."  Now the prices and return policies are not compatible with how I spend my $$$.

Most of my casual clothing purchases are from COSTCO.  I'm an easy size to fit and their casual wear (outerwear, sleepwear, jeans, tops) are usually in the $15-20 range that suit me fine.  I have things that I've laundered continually for (sometimes) years.  Their quality is great!!

I'm also a Costco shopper --- I shop their on-line site and have purchased 4 pairs of skinny jeans $13 each pair; 6 cotton t-shirts $12 each and several sets of Carole Hochman capri pajamas - $18 each pair; jackets, etc. I've purchased 7 pairs of colorful Ryka tennis shoes (in wide) from Zappos - averaged around $60/pair. All with free shipping.

Honored Contributor

The nice thing about the BJ's and Costco apparel offerings is that they're all national brands that you know! They're  not cheaper versions made exclusively for the store

Respected Contributor

I saw something in the kitchen tonight and ran over to eBay to see if I could get it cheaper which I did. I don't need two of something when I can just buy one and get free shipping to boot!

Valued Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I saw something in the kitchen tonight and ran over to eBay to see if I could get it cheaper which I did. I don't need two of something when I can just buy one and get free shipping to boot!

@luvmyteddy4  I do this quite often myself! Ebay usually is always cheaper!

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

For me it isn't the prices that bother me, I'll spend that and more on certain labels in certain stores, it's paying these prices on a shopping channel!

It's not that there aren't those lines that are perfectly adequate but nothing has been exceptional....

@Andreatoo 

I agree.  I’m not on-trend, basically American Classic with an occasional bit of boho (maybe).  

Willing to pay for quality, interested in good fabric; sadly, rarely see either.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Occasional Contributor

I agree I bought mainly Susan Graver, Denim and Co and I was happy I saw a top of SG where I had bought 7 3/4 sleeve solid, love  and now the price is almost $10.00 more I don't buy jeans anymore fits aren't the same and some prices WOW. And when they say it's on sale and it might be 3-4 dollars, no sale to me.

Valued Contributor

I always check ebay before I buy anything.  I've gotten some good buys there.  I have noticed that the Q is putting a lot of clothes on clearance and on lunch and primetime special.  I just bought 2 Graver tops for a little over what I would pay for a new one.  It seems that when something is new its at its highest price but if you wait a bit it will be reduced then it goes to clearance, prime and lunch time, big deal, etc. One day only and TSV are also ways to save.

Honored Contributor

I don't often purchase clothing from QVC anymore because of the lack of quality and all the polyester.  I would rather iron than wear it.  I am a long time Nordstrom shopper and love their July sale.  This year my go to store was J. Crew - I just watch for their flash sales.  I also did very well on the Talbots sale on layering pieces - 79.50 sweaters for 19.99, 69.50 for 18.00 and an 89.50 sweater for 20.95.  I bought several in different colors.