Esteemed Contributor

Agreed.  Much easier to reflect and heal, though, when there is no worry that bills could be paid or whether there is transportation to get to the job, or if there will be food on the table, just to name a few reasons why, though we all share the "human condition", and why though no one escapes sadness and grief, life is a bit different when a $370 bathing suit is the norm.

For that matter, we could all swim naked, and avoid the cost of a suit entirely.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   Yes,   Exercise, meditation, food choices, sleep, stress techniques, breathe practices......these are all admirable and choices available to most of us.  My guess is both of us are incorporating these into our lives.  The freebies are not what I'm referring to when discussing privilege and I'm not denigrating or begrudging anyone because they have exceptional amounts of money.....more power to them.  

What I am saying is there are lots of options that are not available to most of us that helps gets us through the rough times:  the obvious - help in the house/with children, classes that are not cheap (those Bikram yoga classes are not free - but you could get creative and use a CD), counseling, no concern about daily bills, alternative healing (acupuncture, world class chiropractor - which do I incorporate in my life and he is not cheap -, massage, etc.), vacations to exotic locations, comfy luxe cars, clothes, personal care, etc. 

The doctors, medications I avoid probably largely because I do my best to utilize all the inexpensive stress control strategies in my life...I have insurance that is never used.  

The bottom line is hopefully we do our best incorporating the necessary healthy lifestyle choices that don't cost major money.  But if you've got it, you have a lot more options available to you.   I'm more than happy for those who can afford those options.  GP is subjected to the same vagaries that you and I are and I'm sure she feels the struggles/pain that life can present....and I also know she also has coping strategies that most of us will not be able to afford.

The best most of us can do is take advantage of the basic healthy choices that are available to us.  And I am grateful for those options.  Yes, it is our responsibility is to take advantage of what we can do and not make those excuses.  I know you don't and I do my best not to....

@sidsmom wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@CatsyCline   This is true, no one escapes the challenges/lessons of life.  The good news for her is she will have access to healing modalities that most of us would never dream of affording (I could make an extensive list, but you can easily use your imagination). No judgement..... I think this is great for her and will help assuage life's trials, but not a reality for the middle class faced with the same life issues.

@phoenixbrd 

Kinda surprised you mentioned Gwyneth being different and

having ‘healing modalities that most of us would never dream

of affording..’

Truth be told, she probably practices Life just like the majority of us.

Exercise (free), meditation (free), sleep (free)..just to name a few items.

And yes, people will have a zillion excuses why they can’t afford 

the free things in life, but it’s the medications/procedures/doctor’s visits which are expensive. 

Honored Contributor

The tag must be silk by royal silk worms sitting on solid gold cushions. ....

Respected Contributor

Oh yes... at the top of my list ... a $320 black bikini...

I think it is totally ridiculous to pay that for a bikini,

no matter what it is made of or who designed it or anything else.

Comes down to - overpriced black bikini. One can find a good black

bikini just about anywhere at way more normal swimwear pricing.

But, to each his own. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Goop???? Dont think I would wear anything named Goop that has a crotch.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

very over priced!!!!!! I don't care if I did have the body tfor that suit, I could find a lot more that look cuter for less money......

Honored Contributor

She looks great in it.  Most swimsuits are overpriced IMO.

Respected Contributor

It's just boring!  

Honored Contributor

This is my tankini    I've had it a few years, but it's still around.

slimming tankini top

Honored Contributor
She needs a ham sandwich...