Occasional Contributor

Anyone notice how most everyone (hosts and guests alike) tells us about the "fabrication" of the garment they are describing?  How about using the correct word, which is fabric?  "Fabrication" means " the action or process of manufacturing or inventing something.  If you want to tell us about the type of fiber (cotton, rayon, etc.) the correct word is fabric.  It won't be fancier by using a longer word.  It's just incorrect English.

Honored Contributor

Yes, there have been scores of posts about that.  I don't understand it myself.  Sometimes people use the wrong word or they use a made up word but you can understand why they do it.  I can't understand use of the work fabrication when they are talking about fabrics.  I think that perhaps there's a trainer or boss in the fashion area who says fabrication and everyone else assumes it is correct and they repeat the mistake.  

Contributor

I agree. Every time I hear it I wonder to myself "why couldn't they just stop at fabric?"

Esteemed Contributor

I always thought  a "fabrication" was a lie.......just sayin'

Honored Contributor

I don't know if using the word "fabrication" in place of "fabric" is incorrect, but it sure is pretentious.  I don't like it.

Honored Contributor

They use that term meaning two or more fabrics are used to make a cloth used to make clothing and other cloth items, hence fabrication.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

Takes up a few more milliseconds that they have to fill to spend 15 min. on a simple blouse.

Honored Contributor

Same goes for the word utilization. I think it would be just fine to say or write the word use instead. Save vocal cords, paper and ink.Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

I would love to see a show host break the mold and say MATERIAL.

I would settle for FABRIC.

Honored Contributor

The term, fabrication, makes me giggle.  

As does pant, instead of pants.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?