Honored Contributor

Re: Fabrication

[ Edited ]

There is nothing grammatically incorrect about their use of the word fabrication.

I've heard plenty of instances of hosts using words out of context or just completely wrong, like Sharon telling Chef Tony that she was suprised the lemoncillo cake didn't taste ACRID!! ??

Now that is an incorrect use of a word!

Honored Contributor

From Webster.

fabricate verb
fab·​ri·​cate | \ ˈfa-bri-ˌkāt  \
fabricated; fabricating
Definition of fabricate

transitive verb

1a: INVENT, CREATE
b: to make up for the purpose of deceptionaccused of fabricating evidence
2: CONSTRUCT, MANUFACTUREspecifically : to construct from diverse and usually standardized partsTheir plan is to fabricate the house out of synthetic parts.

Honored Contributor

Besides fabrication, they also use "adjustability" a lot, when the word "adjustable" is normally what most would use.  

What sounds better to you? 

There's adjustability in the straps.

or 

The straps are adjustable.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

And then we have Renee with her "aha aha look at that CURVATION" as she's holding up the models tops and using her hand to emphasize the shape of their supposedly uplifted behinds. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few more: 

"Colorways" instead of "color" and "colors."  

They are obviously fashion industry terms that are not used by your average buyer.

"Elasticated" 

The waist is elasticated.

or 

The waist is elastic. 

"Silhouette" overused by QVC hosts and vendors.  Not sure why it's used...I'm not a fashion expert, but it seems naming the item, such as sheath dress, or saying "style" is a better choice. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

There is nothing grammatically incorrect about their use of the word fabrication.

I've heard plenty of instances of hosts using words out of context or just completely wrong, like Sharon telling Chef Tony that she was suprised the lemoncillo cake didn't taste ACRID!! ??

"sharp and harsh or unpleasantly pungent in taste or odor" -- I don't know how she used it in the actual sentence, but why couldn't she be surprised that a lemoncillo cake (if it actually contained alcohol) didn't have a harsh or sharp taste of the liqueur? Not asking to be argumentative, just because I often think foods containing alcohol (rum balls, tiramisu, etc.) have an unpleasant taste. (Sorry, tiramisu lovers. Smiley Happy)

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I don't think it's grammatically incorrect to use "fabrication" when they mean "material" or "fabric" but it is the incorrect word. I admit it bugs me too. Now you see people use it in product reviews or in the questions section. "What is the fabrication on this pant?" grrrrr

I think acrid is used properly in that sentence. Why did you find it incorrect?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

@TerpFan wrote:

Anyone notice how most everyone (hosts and guests alike) tells us about the "fabrication" of the garment they are describing? . . .  It's just incorrect English.

@TerpFan , no, it's not.

In this usage, the word fabrication is lingo or jargon that has meaning particular to the garment industry and textile manufacturing (not just some longer way of saying fabric).

This usage wouldn't sound foreign or incorrect to people working in these fields, and the way the hosts and vendors use it during a presentation is correct.

Do vendors of live plants mention pinching, double digging, dead heading, or other jargon from their area of expertise that may not be clear to some of the people watching?

Yes, they do.

Kitchen lingo may be heard from guest chefs.

Etc.

I believe fabrication is only singled out because QVC has such a comparatively large audience for garment and textile products, that a greater number of those particular viewers would be among the number who post here.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

"sharp and harsh or unpleasantly pungent in taste or odor" -- I don't know how she used it in the actual sentence, but why couldn't she be surprised that a lemoncillo cake (if it actually contained alcohol) didn't have a harsh or sharp taste of the liqueur? Not asking to be argumentative, just because I often think foods containing alcohol (rum balls, tiramisu, etc.) have an unpleasant taste. (Sorry, tiramisu lovers. Smiley Happy)

@jonbon 

Acrid is negative; one never says 'I prefer my lemoncillo a bit acrid' . It's only a positive flavor or smell if one is chumming for sharks! lol

I was making the point that there are real instances of using words incorrectly but fabrication isn't one of them

The new host, Rochelle, said a particular D & C top was easy to put on over your head if you have posterity issues.......

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom 

Acrid: adjective

sharp or biting to the taste or smell; bitterly pungent; irritating to the eyes, nose, etc.: acrid smoke from burning rubber.
extremely or sharply stinging or bitter; exceedingly caustic: acrid remarks

I disagree. I think she was looking for acidic