Frequent Contributor

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW LOUIS DELL OLIO'S FASHION HISTORY

I find the suggestion that QVC's decisions around the lack of Inventory from Louis's Linea line could have to do with mismanagement by Louis... laughable!

THERE IS NO OTHER DESIGNER ON QVC, THAT THE FASHION INDUSTRY CALLED THE BEST SELLING FASHION DESIGNER IN AMERICA...IF SO TELL ME WHO?

I thought perhaps some need reminding of who this man is...

"Excerpts from "Louis Who?" which appeared in the NY Magazine in Oct 17,1980

"Though it seems unlikely, he's so unpretentious, so solid, so normal-Louis Dell Olio, 40, is consistently citEd as the BEST SELLING FASHION DESIGNER IN AMERICA.

He is the man behind the label of the women who invented contemporary sportswear and he wears the late Anne Klein's name well.

Whether a season is sane or uncertain, women depend on his clean contemporary styles. The clothes are often classic.

Anne Klein executives claim the combined annual retails sales alone total $300 million. Licensed lines, accessories, furs, swimsuits, and shoes for another $400 million. Louis Dell Olio directed all of these divisions.

Those numbers are particularly impressive considering Anne Klein sells no blue jeans and and a negligible amount of perfume.

Quotes from several New York Time Articles written Nov., 15, 1988 and November 6, 1992...reveal this man, is the ultimate creative designer, ultimate businessman.

"Dell'Olio took over as the sole designer for Anne Klein. Although retailers and the fashion press wondered if the quiet designer would be able to maintain the company's high reputation and sales, their fears were put to rest after the first few collections. Critics proclaimed Dell'Olio's work became stronger over time, and customers must have agreed, because he ultimately took his place as the bestselling American designer. Anne Klein under Dell'Olio grew to a $200-million wholesale brand in sportswear alone, enhanced by another $250 million in sales of licensed products.

As the president of Bergdorf Goodman told the New York Times (15 November 1988), "[Dell'Olio] understands the needs of women in all walks of life. He makes clothes that are fashionably up to date but that a woman can feel she will be able to wear the next year. And his business is growing." Retailers have always appreciated Dell'Olio's penchant for listening to their needs. His interest extends to the business side of fashion as much as to the creative side.

Bernardine Morris, writing in the New York Times (6 November 1992), noted Dell'Olio's ability to create familiar and comfortable apparel, yet at the same time use innovative designs. "Serene and comforting as the show was to watch," she said of his spring 1993 collection (one of his last for Anne Klein), "the clothes still looked different from what women already have in their wardrobes. But they didn't look fussy or overdesigned. Just soft, basic shapes that could be combined in different ways, the basic premise of sportswear dressing."

Dell'Olio's designs are purposely American in sensibility; he is known for taking European designs and Americanizing them. Many of his collections have a certain masculine quality—such as boxy shoulders on his blazers, always a core item in his sportswear lines— and he has favored apparel that is flattering and make women feel sexy yet fully dressed. These clothes are targeted at upscale working women, with celebrities ranging from Oprah Winfrey to Cher (in her more serious moments). In addition to blazers, other core items include narrow pants, turtleneck sweaters, and wraparound skirts in black, ivory, and neutrals, set off by the occasional burst of color (such as an all-red series that stood out in one of his collections)."

Frequent Contributor

Re: FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW LOUIS DELL OLIO'S FASHION HISTORY

Very well said. Louis brings so much to the Q. I have never, ever understood why my beloved Q treats Louis the way they do. Just listening to him explain the design, and the creation of a style should tell people this man knows his business. My heart is broken for Louis  and for us with the passing of our beloved Jac. May Ourl Lord give dear Louis strength and faith during this very sad time in his life. 

Respected Contributor

Re: FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW LOUIS DELL OLIO'S FASHION HISTORY

@mostwanted

Thanks for posting this! 

Back in the 80's when the fall Vogue arrived I would eagerly flip the first few pages to find the sumptuous Anne Klein ad, with Louis's signature across the bottom, and wonder who this marvelous designer was.  The colors, fabrics, styles were the BEST, fabulous.  I never forgot his name.

When QVC announced he would be coming here with a new collection just for QVC I was dumbfounded, then so very grateful that he chose this place to unleash his considerable talents.  It is a very sad footnote to see the way he was treated in his last appearance; I couldn't get through the show, looked at the items online.

This article nails his design esthetic perfectly and it is why we are so incredibly fortunate to have him here, designing for us, perfectly, beautifully, and affordably, season after season.  YAY Louis! 

Hope he gets a better host, and time slot next time.....