Respected Contributor

Re: Expensive sequence of events - just thought I'd share.

@sweetee2wrote:

I go so long without looking in a mirror for longer then a minute or two that when I do I can't believe that's me. Even with cosmetics I still look tired and wore out. As for pictures I'm horrified.  I've always been a hard worker and I guess it shows. Oh well live goes on whether you like it or not.

this was exactly my response .. although i don't look horribly bad ... well for

my age ....in the mirror .. photos are a totally different thing .. I look horrible

and try to avoid them at all cost ....

But for today .. I am alive and healthy and a lot of friends lately are not !!!

Honored Contributor

@Pookwrote:

I love my makeup and I always am perfectly made up.  I get lots of compliments on how great I always look...BUT...I look horrendous in photos or videos.  When I worked we would have driver's license photo contests and most times I won the scariest awful category!!    I also know so many that look great and much better in a video or photo than they do in person.  That's not what matters - it's how you treat others and live your live that counts in my book!!

Bingo! What @Pook said.

I take such bad pictures I actually had a DMV employee offer me a do over when she looked at the picture on her screen! lol

A while back my son decided he needed my picture in his phone so that when I called him my face would pop up on his screen. Well he took a bunch while I sat in his passenger seat. He marvelled at how bad they were even though I was sitting still and holding my breath! lol 'What are you doing??' 'Nothing!' He finally gave up. And I'm resigned to the fact that I'm just not photogenic....oh well

Honored Contributor

My face shows every aching/painful day of my arthritis, no make up will cover it, just makes it stand out more. Therefore I wear very little, I do still do my daily skincare regimen. For those who like and still look good with a full face of makeup, good for you and I hope you never reach the point where it only makes you look worse.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Hi @house_cat

I enjoyed your story (beautifully presented, by the way) and completely understand the angst caused by a candid photo.  

I know a driver's license photo isn't candid.  However, I've had good DL photos in the past for which I prepared with more makeup than I'd usually wear.  The last one I had taken is basically of my neck!  I was looking at the wrong spot where I thought the lens was, plus I was lifting my chin to help smooth out the old neck.  They wouldn't take the picture again.  At least yours isn't a permanent record taken by your state!  

I guess if I ever get stopped and someone looks at my license, I'll have to stick out my chin.  Woman LOL

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, everyone, for all the responses.  I enjoyed reading them, especially those that made me feel as if I'm not the only one!

I decided to try one new makeup product every few days, rather than glamming myself up all at once, lol, and I'm giving a thumbs up to today's results.

In defense of my sweet DH, he honestly thought I looked pretty, which is why he snapped the photo. We've been married 35 years and he has never wavered in his admiration of me.... which is something I have never been able to understand, though I've come to accept it as a blessing. He's a keeper for sure :-)

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_catwrote:

Thanks, everyone, for all the responses.  I enjoyed reading them, especially those that made me feel as if I'm not the only one!

I decided to try one new makeup product every few days, rather than glamming myself up all at once, lol, and I'm giving a thumbs up to today's results.

In defense of my sweet DH, he honestly thought I looked pretty, which is why he snapped the photo. We've been married 35 years and he has never waivered in his admiration of me.... which is something I have never been able to understand, though I've come to accept it as a blessing. He's a keeper for sure :-)

@house_cat  I am glad that you tried the makeup products again and have good results.  I have found the same thing with my makeup products.  Sometimes it takes a while to experiment with it to get good results.  

And you are really blessed to have a man who loves and admires you.  

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007, I'm glad you tried again because that is what I was going to suggest. Your husband is a dear person who just saw his beautiful wife when he snapped that picture.

To those that don't "allow" pictures or say their husbands know better than to take a picture, you should remind yourself that the camera doesn't lie, so that's what people see whether there is a photographic record or not.  Too bad there is so much pressure to look youthful - those crow's feet and wrinkles could be a sign of hard work and strength.

Honored Contributor

I’m convinced there are gremlins living in cameras rendering our images less than flattering. 

Or maybe it’s the same response we get when we hear a recording of our voice. It just doesn’t sound like we thought.  Same thing with cameras maybe. 

Great story and totally relatable!

Esteemed Contributor

@151949wrote:

I've noticed great changes in my appearance over the past year. I just turned 69 so I suppose it was inevitable. My appearance is definitely more aged. Sigh. Falling and injuring my back last summer & all the pain that went with that has taken a toll too.I look like a cronic pain patient -real  pain always shows on your face!

@151949I'm exactly your age, and I've noticed the same thing over the past year.  And I'm not in pain - I think it's just age having it's way with us!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat

I think the problem was that you were out in the sun.  I've found that as I get older the sun is NOT my friend.  And the sun plus that awful little mirror in the car - don't get me started!!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett