Esteemed Contributor

Re: Entire shops devoted to petite's Remember?

One of the malls in Indianapolis had a store that only had clothing for the "Talls".  It's long gone but I rarely bought anything from there as everything was always way too long....and I'm just under 6 foot.  Luckily, I don't have much trouble finding pants or dresses that are long enough for me.  Sometimes I have issues with the sleeves but then I like a 3/4 sleeve anyway. 

Good luck to all you Petites.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I wear petite for the inseam and rise of pants. But you are right there were no plus sizes. So I have no fond memories of those stores.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

The only store I recall devoted to a specific size segment of the population was 5, 7 and 9

@Andreatoo Just realized I've seen that store!  We had it for a short time!!!Smiley Happy

I did a lot a shopping at Petite Sophisticate and 5, 7, 9 Shop.  It was so nice to have a whole store devoted to us "wee people", lol. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

You don't have to be petite to remember. I'm too tall, but remember Petite Sophisticate very well-- in almost every mall. 

Aside from that, though, department stores had a section for petites, and still do. 

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Andreatoo @Funny that I thought of you as tall from all of outfit pictures.

@dex 

It's an optical illusion because of my freakishly long legs. I fool people standing in front of me! LOL

Trusted Contributor

So many department stores are downsizing or totally eliminating petites entirely. One local store went out of business and my other local source was a Penny's, so now I'm stuck mostly buying online. My problem is that I have very short arms, so anything that I purchase with long sleeves is usually freaky looking unless I can find a petite size (especially coats).

Honored Contributor

@mariadomenica wrote:

I am 5'2"...Unless it is a petite everything looks ridiculous on me.  I am 105 pounds.  I like Macy's.com as many offerings are in petite.  I do feel Logo has gotten prettier over the years.  In the beginning it looked like circus clothing !  However the prices are out of my budget...and besides hardly any petite.   

At 5'2" myself and 90 pounds I miss them terribly.  I even went this past Friday at the mall to the girl's dept. looking for shorts for our family beach trip this upcoming weekend.  I ordered a couple of weeks ago a swimsuit in a size 2.  I thought I can make it work with safety pins and a pair of shorts. It came last week and it was a size 20.  Not going to be able to work with that. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I've never understood why men get their clothes made in the exact measurements like waist, inseam, neck, arm length and we women get everything made the exact opposite way and have to either tailor things or seek out specialty sizes. Just ridiculous.

Trusted Contributor

I shopped exclusively a Petite Sophisticates. I miss that store so very much.

Trusted Contributor

When stores started carrying plus sizes, they were always in the basement in the corner. Can you imagine was message that was sending?