Valued Contributor

Re: Does the oversized sweater run big? A259102

Hi Vickybliss:

Having sweat bullets over the sizing of this one and to my great joy my sweaters arrived today, here's my initial overall take on your question...and it will differ from others who may respond because:

1. It depends on how you plan to wear it. The ballet neck is never a good one for me so from the get-go I always planned to wear this layered. I have a lot of Linea sleeveless WK mock necks I plan to play with under this, as well as a lot of colors of a favorite Modal turtleneck I used to be able to get from Lands End and also more silky turtlenecks in a variety of colors. Where I live in New England it's plenty cold enough to layer these in comfort. So you might want to also add here WHERE you plan to wear it also as to climate.

2. It's that seam which meets the sleeve after it drops off the shoulder that you want to give thought to. In my regular and usual plus size, I'm feeling that seam and Happy Lady is right, I would not want that seam any tighter. Especially - see #1 - as I plan to layer this sweater

3. I was not liking the fact that the bottom rib did not come in to grab you but hung straight before these arrived. I translated that, in my mind, to "limp". Once I tried the sweater on I really LIKE the way that ribbing hangs. Because - see # 1 - I plan to wear long and gorgeous patterned scarves I collected in Europe over these sweaters. I tried that look on over the sweater either just slung around the neck and hanging longer than the top in front, or the scarf draped long off one shoulder to the side - and I realized that I was all wrong about that ribbing. It needs to hang straight and flow freely. And it looks perfect worn this way.

4. There will be a titch of shrinkage once I wash these and dry them. It won't be much - nothing like the 4 inches difference all over the body of the sweater if I sized one size down. And I did get itchy on the trigger finger reading all these reviews and comments and did order one back-up the next size down in a color that was running low. I just canceled that. I've been wearing WK for almost 8 years now and I know how you are supposed to launder it - cold water, dry flat. I usually wash my WK in the washer and let them air dry. But once in a while I've felt the need to deliberately shrink WK - the WK pants before Louis came out with a petite size - and I know you can shrink them a little bit, if you want to, on purpose.

5. The sleeves. I've already mentioned that dropped shoulder seam which goes down into the upper arm. The sleeve down from there is rib knit. I would not want these sleeves which fit beautifully, one bit tighter than they are in my usual size - although yes indeed they do and will stretch. I like a comfy, snug but not pulled look on the sleeve and remember, I'm layering these when I don't have a sleeveless turtle in a color I want to wear with them.

6. Sitting down. Consider how you want this sweater to look and feel when you stand up after sitting down for a while at the computer for example. I'm not wanting it to pull at all in that area.

7. Your own body. I'm one to two sizes smaller in a pant or skirt than I am in a top. This sweater HAD to fit me right on the top to have any hope of wearing this style. My correct size does that. It fits right. For me, the rest of the body of the sweater worked itself out just fine. I think your height might be important to mention here too. I'm 5' 7 and the length works well for me.

It looks dynamite over black pants, over my mid calf longer WK pencil skirts in black or matching the blue or the nutmeg. And the Linea multi-faceted bead necklace - J271862 - FABULOUS with the nutmeg! And there's PLENTY of other fun ways to wear these. Hope you and everyone else who ordered LOVES these too - whether you decide sizing down needs to happen for your individual needs or not! Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I wear an xs, I ordered an xs and I'm happy with the way it fits. I would not call it HUGE. It's over sized as stated, but this is not a huge sweater. If you don't like over sized sweaters then this may not be for you. I can understand if you might think it's one size too big, but huge, no, easy yes. Maybe those that think it's huge received something miss marked. The measurements are very clear, and mine is exactly like the measurements given.To me this is a comfy casual sweater, and I plan on layering with turtlenecks now and nothing going into spring.

Esteemed Contributor

I am also a plus size and this sweater fit me in my usual Linea size. Going down a size would have been all wrong for this relaxed, slouchy look. I sent it back because I already have enough items in this slouchy/ casual category of sweaters and tops.

Valued Contributor

On 2/5/2015 shoesnbags said:
On 2/5/2015 HAPPY LADY said:

I always order everything on every show and I never send anything back due to wrong sizing. Why, because I check the measurements and listen to the designer. He suggests staying in your regular size. When watching the video he always discusses fit and how it is cut and why sometimes the click here measurements are different on each item, even though they may be in the same fabric i.e. WK's and other different fabrics, different gauge knits, types of shoulder seams, different length etc. I ordered this tunic in my regular size and fit is exactly the way he states. Drop shoulder, loose through bust down through hips but not huge. Drop shoulder seam changes upper body measurement to allow for drop shoulder. Some like clothes more fitted and this type of style may not work because as shown in the video, the sleeves are not loose and fit up under the arm. There are other more fitted longer sweaters almost like this in WK available. Love this sweater got all the colors. Good luck!!Smile

Whew! I have to congratulate you on this happy state of affairs. Just for the record, there are others (like me!) who also "check the measurements and listen to the designer" and still sometimes have to return/exchange due to sizing issues. That's why it's so helpful to have the input of others on this board as to how things fit. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Hi shoesnbags, For sure it is a challenge to buy on line vs going into a store and going through all that to find what is worth spending our money on and bringing home. Between my 4 daughters and myself I buy a lot of stuff at the Q and even with this new reduced shipping it will still add up. Over the holidays I spent over $200 on shipping alone at the Q but with free shipping at Saks or Nordstrom; not one penny. If only Louis was selling his delights somewhere else. I measure; read everything that Louis says on his website and listen to every detail he explains to avoid having to ship back and cross my fingers I get my item. I am a medium on the top and small on the bottom and for that reason I never buy dresses. I'm a two piecer and a jacket gal.

I do agree input is helpful but only if it is specific as to what the issues are. We are all built differently. If someone says their size is huge is it because they have narrow shoulders and the neckline was too wide? That would help me because I have broad shoulders and would love that fit. What is the reason the garment does not look right? It is good we help each other. Actually that is the only reason the fashion forum was established. I knew I would get flack for my opinion.Smile

I guess I should add I am not suggesting you are giving me any flack; your response was fine.Smile

Valued Contributor

This sweater is called "Oversized" for a reason. All the women who are complaining that it is huge on them may have missed that perfectly descriptive adjective in the name, or hoped it didn't apply to how it would look on them. I bought 3 in my normal size of large, & they all fit exactly as I expected them to, and, I might add, as they appeared on the models. If this is not a look that appeals to you, then you may want to reconsider, because it is exactly what it says it is. For me, it's the perfect sweater over leggings & the longer WK skirt.

Valued Contributor

My 3 arrived today and I'm seriously thinking about getting the last color while it's still available on waitlist. I did not find the sweater huge. It is oversized, meaning it is not intended to be semi-fitted in any part of the garment. I love this style and I feel it suits my style and body type. I pay attention to the measurements, but I first pay attention to the intended style of the garment. Fortunately, Louis styles his line in the sneak peaks and I can get an idea about which "click here" measurements I can shake off for the sake of the intended look. On this one, the measurements are 3" bigger than what I normally wear, but the extra 3" suits the drop shoulders, ribbed and slit hem, etc.

Also, I feel body proportion will make a difference in how one feels about this sweater. I am a tall plus size with broad shoulders, chesty, but am proportionally slender in the hips and thighs for a plus size fit. I also have a long torso and short legs (at 5'9" I wear petite pants). The sweater is very flattering on my body type - broad at top, but somewhat column-like the rest of the way. I love the drape of the sweater over the super ponte leggings. I can see where if one is the opposite with slender shoulders, shorter arms and full hips, if they were to order to fit the hips, the rest of the sweater could look blocky and shapeless because then the bottom of the garment wouldn't drape and swing.

Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 2zbeach said: In my opinion,they are huge. I ordered two sizes. My usual size was a shapeless sack. The smaller size was easier to love.

The same thing happened to me. My regular size was a huge, shapeless sack. Luckily, I trusted my instincts, against Louis stating to get your regular size, and ordered both a M (my usual size) and a Small. the small looks terrific and fits perfectly, even my DH loved this on me. He said the M was way too big on me and he was so right.

Trusted Contributor

Let's just say that there are all kinds of fruit in our basket and not everyone likes the same kind.

It is very rare that an item in my regular size that corresponds to the click here measurements isn't perfect for me. There are styles that I know aren't going to fit me perfectly because of my unique figure configuration.

I like pants to have a longer inseam, but that's because my legs are too long for my height. I like sweaters that aren't fitted at the waist because I don't have one. I like to size up on woven blouses because I'm terrified of gap-osis. And I have the same measurement for hips and bust, so I usually have to size down on pull-on pants because I don't have any junk in the trunk. I'm tall, but I'm narrow in the shoulders and large in the bust. This makes for some challenging shopping sometimes.

That is the kind of useful information that will make our reviews helpful to one another rather than just calling something huge and shapeless. It's probably not the sweater that is at fault, but maybe trying to put a banana peel on a watermelon that's the problem. Just saying.

Valued Contributor

crdlb, Your pithy comments sum it up! What else can one say!!{#emotions_dlg.lol} Louis has joked on air about his fruit ladies!!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Regular Contributor

What is the correct item # for this sweater?

A259102 brings up a jacket not a sweater....