Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone actually like using a top handle or long, skinny strap instead?

Shoulder bag all the way, mostly a nice leather tote with straps long enough to wear comfortably on the shoulder, or over a coat in the winter. I love a classic look.

Now, having said that......for years, in my twenties, I carried clutches! Envelope, ziptop, you name it. They were very chic and stylish, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I managed! Even my two free hands are not enough these days!

Regular Contributor

On 3/29/2015 !FitChick! said:

I have narrow, droopy shoulders- I just can't hold a bag on my shoulders. I buy satchel styles, and have never used the shoulder strap- I think satchels look bulky and awkward when they go crossbody. A satchel is supposed to be held in the crook of your elbow or your hands- I don't like when purse manufactures try to make a bag something it isn't- a backpack is not dressy, a satchel is not practical for people who need to be hands free, and a hobo is not structured. I'd wear a crossbody more often than for traveling, but I don't like how it cuts your chest in half.

Totally agree. I don't care if it's got chain straps, quilting and a Chanel logo, if it's a backpack, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it in most professional settings, and don't try to convince me that I can wear that satchel as a crossbody!

Honored Contributor

I only buy leather bags that have no compartments to get in my way or add weight. A wall zipper doesn't count and I use that for an extra set of keys. I never buy bags with handles and a strap to hang down that makes the owner look like they're about to skip rope.

I like the brand Hobo because of their soft, light weight leather.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sacrificing comfort, I don't find the straps thin and the longer strap stays on my shoulder better than say the hobo style. I find the satchel style really versatile.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I have a satchel and a shopper (not Dooney) that have the short straps and a long handle, but the long handle is detachable. The long strap is rarely used but sometimes comes in handy. The hardware for the attachment isn't noticeable when the strap's not in use. I do think it's silly to leave it dangling when there's no function.

That said I do have lots of other styles - I just happened to love these bags (one's a distressed patent in a gorgeous teal mint color and the other is orange embossed snakeskin with tan straps; both have silver hardware). I forgive the strap thing for that reason.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I buy bags in the style you describe. I wear most of them crossbody and don't notice anything bouncing around and they're very comfortable for me. The Chealsea Shopper you mention does NOT have a long strap, it has a shoulder strap that won't work as a crossbody. It has a shoulder strap for you to wear the bag over your shoulder. I actually took the strap off a crossbody bag and used that on my Chealsea Shopper when I took it to a street fair and it worked well for me.

Respected Contributor

I love this style, the most versatile for me. With aging and narrow shoulders I can't keep a hobo style on my shoulder, slides right off. A satchel can be held in my hands, sometimes over the crook of my arm, so pretty, and when I need to use both hands the long shoulder or cross-body strap is invaluable to throw on for that short time.

Plus, the long strap can be removed completely and the bag takes on a dressier look, love that too.

I have tried crossbody only, shoulder hobo (a no-go), shopper styles, but the satchel with the long strap is my very favorite. As is Dooney!

Regular Contributor

On 3/30/2015 ChynnaBlue said:

I buy bags in the style you describe. I wear most of them crossbody and don't notice anything bouncing around and they're very comfortable for me. The Chealsea Shopper you mention does NOT have a long strap, it has a shoulder strap that won't work as a crossbody. It has a shoulder strap for you to wear the bag over your shoulder. I actually took the strap off a crossbody bag and used that on my Chealsea Shopper when I took it to a street fair and it worked well for me.

I didn't mean it could be a crossbody, I just meant it was longer than a classic hobo strap. And if a large, bulky bag like that is dangling from a thin strap down near the waist, that's just very uncomfortable to me.

Valued Contributor

Soft leather hobos,with one wide shoulder strap. Not a fan of D/B handbags. I have 4 leather soft hobos. Two from TJmaxx, one from HSN, and one from QVC.

Regular Contributor

That's my favorite too, Gracie. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}