Regular Contributor

Does anyone actually like using a top handle or long, skinny strap instead?

I feel like so many of the bags I see are the satchel style where your only options are to either carry it on the crook of your arm with a very small handle, or use the long, skinny strap to carry it off to the side or possibly as a crossbody. I have a Dooney that is this style, and now I almost never use it and wish I hadn't spent that much money on such an uncomfortable style. It's painful to carry such a heavy bag in the elbow crook, but having such a thin, long strap is also uncomfortable because of the weight and how much the bag bounces around.

I also love the look of the Chelsea shopper, but can't justify spending that much on a style that I know is uncomfortable to carry.

Am I alone in this? It just baffles me why this is such a popular style. I do like the look, but I guess I'm just curious how many women are willing to sacrifice comfort for style. I clearly am not.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone actually like using a top handle or long, skinny strap instead?

A lot of ladies seem to like them.

I won't buy satchels. I can't stand those little short handles & I won't carry a bag with both a short handle and a shoulder strap, too. That looks awful, IMO.

Regular Contributor

Yeah, my mom hates the look of the dangling strap, but for me, it's just the comfort issue. I actually mainly wonder whether there's something about me physically that makes it more uncomfortable for me to carry them (I do load my bags up pretty heavily and am also a pretty small person), or whether they're uncomfortable for most/all, but some women are just more willing to put up with it for the look.

Super Contributor

In my younger years I only used shoulder bags. That's the only kind I bought. Now I like the short handles. I do use the long thin straps only if I need my hands free for something else and then I put my dooney on my shoulder. Otherwise, yes I like the short handles. I won't buy even a dooney if it is a shoulder bag only handle.

Honored Contributor

My favorite style is a Satchel with handles so I can carry the bag by hand, or put the bag over my arm and I really favor those with an additional shoulder strap (doesn't have to be cross body). The only hobo or unstructured bags I like have both hand-grab handles (to control the bag when I want to get into it) AND a shoulder strap!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

When you have to hold little hands (grandchildren's) while you're carrying your bag, you really don't want those little handles.

To have both the long shoulder strap (doesn't have to be skinny!) and the little handles, to me, looks as useless as arms on a dinosaur.

Respected Contributor

I never buy a bag with two handle types. I prefer a shoulder bag or a cross body and will not buy any bag that has the elbow handles also. Why carry two sets of handles around when you know you're only going to use one. Bags and their contents are heavy enough to begin with.

I don't buy Dooney either because of the weight. I have lots of things to put inside and the weight becomes an insurmountable problem for me.

Regular Contributor

So far I'm fascinated by all the different bag preferences on this thread, haha.

Me, I'm a hobo girl all the way. Love both the look and security on the arm of a thicker, shorter shoulder strap that won't fall to the front of me when I lean forward like with satchels (so annoying). And the bouncing while walking also drives me crazy.

Honored Contributor

My favorite style is a tote with long-enough handles to carry it on my shoulder. Also, a hobo with a sturdy, not-too-long handle. I'm not as comfortable carrying a cross-body or satchel style, but l do like the way they look.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Regular Contributor

Sounds like you and I have pretty similar bag tastes, Handygal. I love the roominess and comfort of totes, but tend to gravitate toward hobos, I think because I subconsciously find them to look a little dressier and less, "Heading to the farmer's market" (despite the name, ironically).