Super Contributor

Re: Did I Miss The Discussion About Alberti?

On 4/14/2014 Perkup said:
On 4/14/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:
On 4/14/2014 12andcounting said:
On 4/13/2014 sparklestar said:

I prefer not to listen to a male talk about makeup and women's fashions.

I agree with you, sparkle.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with these posters. I didn't find Alberti especially effective in the sale of women's clothing - found it quite strange (but not surprising) that he commented how he would wear it. Really?

I'd like to know more about this fellow. Is he married? Children? What's his past experience with internet sales? (I know he was a vendor at QVC, but I didn't care for him in that capacity.

What does it matter if he is married or has children? He's a salesperson on a shopping channel.

Gee, I didn't realize he was a salesperson on a shopping channel. Thanks for letting me in on the news!!

I asked because I wanted to know. I always appreciate a man who says nice things about his wife and kids, i.e. Dave James, or one who is proud of his new bride, i.e. Jonathan Redford Sorry they're gone. Or Dan who speaks so lovingly about this wife and his farm. Anything wrong with that? Not in my camp. For me it says quite a lot about a person. I don't think of these people as friends, but it does make a difference in how comfortable I am with their opinions. A man who tries on pearls and talks about how he would wear women's clothes leaves me with questions. I'd let the women sell the women's clothing. I don't want to know how pearls would look on Rick D. for example. but I don't have a problem buying when he's doing jewelry shows.

I might add that none of the above men overdoes it when they mention homes and family. A little goes a long way. Some of the women could learn a lot from them.

a) you're assuming that all males hosts are straight

b) you sound narrow-minded and judgmental

It's diversity that makes this world worthwhile.

Contributor

IMO, it will be nice to watch a show without the host saying "I am wearing it in an XXS" or "Can you order me an XXS in black before it sells out?" {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Respected Contributor

just saw him briefly and enjoyed his presentation.

Super Contributor

alberti is doing a fine job. he is very good at his presentations and what a great smile he has! to light up a room. (-: i myself feel he is a welcome addition. good choice qvc! (-:

Regular Contributor

I've only seen Alberti one or two times but I really like him and I like his demeanor. What a concept....a male host who doesn't look as if he just drank 2 energy drinks before coming on set! As far as his being married with a family or not, who cares? Isn't Lisa R. one of the most (if not the most) successful female hosts at QVC? And isn't she probably the only one who's single? One thing I really like about Lisa is that she hardly ever mentions her personal life. If I want or need to hear about someone's family I'll talk to my friends. I don't need to hear it constantly from a TV host! A little is OK but these people are over the top.

I kind of like Alberti selling fashions and jewelry. I don't see what anyone would object to, as the majority of designers are men (i.e. Isaac, Simonton, Mackie, Dell Olio, etc.) I live in NYC and lots of the guys here are into fashion and pop culture so I guess I'm used to it.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Honored Contributor

Do you feel the same way when Stan Herman is discussing his robes and lounge wear? ..... Or when Bob Mackie is talking about a new tunic?

Does it make you uncomfortable?

Valued Contributor

some of my favorite sales associates are men. they really know what i like.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

On 4/14/2014 ilovedaisies said: All the host needs to do is ask the vendor questions, read off the colors, the sizes, the fabric content, etc. . Why does that necessarily mean a woman has to do it? Rick does a great job on the jewelry and all of it is for women.

Years ago David sold jewelry as has Rick, Dan Wheeler, Paul Deasy and other male hosts. Rick works well with Joan Rivers.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/14/2014 12andcounting said:

I agree with you, sparkle.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with these posters. I didn't find Alberti especially effective in the sale of women's clothing - found it quite strange (but not surprising) that he commented how he would wear it. Really?

I'd like to know more about this fellow. Is he married? Children? What's his past experience with internet sales? (I know he was a vendor at QVC, but I didn't care for him in that capacity.

I think some posters may have misconstrued what Alberti meant when he talked about how he would wear it -- he probably meant "if I were a woman", this is how I would wear it, but just didn't express it quite as clearly as he might have. I really don't think he's into wearing women's clothes or jewelry. And what difference would it make if he were married, single, had children, or whatever - would that make him a better host? After all, so many complain about the women hosts talking constantly about their families, giggling, admiring themselves in the monitor, etc.

In view of a lot of things expressed on this and other threads about him, could it be that the need to know whether he's married or has children is another way of asking the question that's really on a lot of people's minds? I think he will make an excellent host with a little more experience -- I just wish I could see some of the posters who are so critical do that job - that might be hilarious and a show worth watching!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 kjohnson said:
On 4/14/2014 Krimpette said:

My favorite male host right now is Bill Green on HSN. He can sell absolutely anything!!!!! He's always so knowledgeable and fun to watch.

I've said this many times....love Bill Green! He is the only person that can make Jackie Schechter (Slinky clothing) watchable for longer than a few minutes.

Maybe Alberti is QVC's attempt at getting themselves a Bill Green.

I totally agree kj! Reminds me sooo much of Bill Green.