Esteemed Contributor

Re: Channeling the 60’s

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Biftu   Yes!  Did you live in Lynn? Do you live nearby now?

I still live in Lynn. I grew up two blocks away from Manning Bowl.

I love all kinds of music, Folk, Rock, Blues, Funk, Reggae, R&B, Middle Eastern, Greek, Irish, New Age.

The only music I don't care for is Country and Rap.

@Enufstuff  This is amazing!  I lived by Wyoma Square.  I went to Lynn English High School.  I no longer live in MA but visit there at least twice a year.

Oh, and  the only music I don't like is country and rap!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Biftu   It is a small world.  In 1966, when my girls were babies,

I lived on Lynnfield Street.

Wyoma Square has changed so much as has much of the city. In 1978, we bought the house that I now live in, off Lynnfield Street, not far from where Union Hospital was.

I went to St. Mary's Girls' High School.

My kids went to Lynn English and one son went to

Lynn Tech.

How funny that we dislike the same music, too!

The only Rap song I ever liked (before Rap devolved to

misogyny and vulgar language) was "Rapper's Delight"

from 1983.  It was the first Rap song, different, amusing and my youngest daughter and I knew all the words.

We would sing it and drive my husband crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Biftu   It is a small world.  In 1966, when my girls were babies,

I lived on Lynnfield Street.

Wyoma Square has changed so much as has much of the city. In 1978, we bought the house that I now live in, off Lynnfield Street, not far from where Union Hospital was.

I went to St. Mary's Girls' High School.

My kids went to Lynn English and one son went to

Lynn Tech.

How funny that we dislike the same music, too!

The only Rap song I ever liked (before Rap devolved to

misogyny and vulgar language) was "Rapper's Delight"

from 1983.  It was the first Rap song, different, amusing and my youngest daughter and I knew all the words.

We would sing it and drive my husband crazy.

@Enufstuff  I know right where you are.  The city has changed.  It was a nice place to grow up.  It had a great downtown with three movie theaters.  I spent my youth at Nahant, Lynn, and Swampscott beaches.  Not sure what those beaches are like now.

Lucky you, I begged my parents to send me to St. Mary's but it wasn't to be.  I went to St. Joseph's grammar school.

I can still sing all the words to Rappers Delight!  I'm with you on the rap language.  Wouldn't it be fun to get us girls all together and sing it once again for your husband. I'm sure he would love that!

Small world.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Biftu  It's too bad that you didn't get to go to Saint Mary's.

I was born in 47 but most of the girls I went to school with were born in 46. I was always the youngest and the smallest.

In 9th grade, my boyfriend at St. Mary's Boys' High,

had gone to St. Joseph's School, Richard Ryan was his name.

If we are close in age, we probably knew some of the same people. Some of the girls lived in the Wyoma area. Some went to English High. I grew up near Flax Pond.

My first husband was annoyed and did not like it when we sang Rapper's Delight. We divorced in 1984 and I remarried in 1992.

My first husband, father of my children, passed away

four years ago. We see a lot of changes, in our lifetimes.

My girls are old enough to remember the nice downtown stores and my boys remember the last of the stores that remained open. I was always going to the last three, Connelly's, Rooks and Empire.

The beaches are the same, The Tides is still there, in Nahant. At the Swampscott end, there are different businesses

across from the beach, now. There is still a restaurant where Doane's once was. Hawthorne By The Sea is still open, but now, owned by the city of Swampscott. It may close by December.

The restaurant is still nice inside and the food is very good.

People are speculating that developers are planning to build condos or townhouses there. It is prime real estate, overlooking the ocean.

It is the last one, of Anthony's four restaurants. I liked Anthony's Hawthorne in Lynn, the best.

Getting together would be fun.

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Biftu   Wow! You had some really cool outfits.

As a mother of four little ones, I never wore hotpants.

I never had a fur vest or skirt either. I never saw a fur skirt, but I did wear minis.  I made a pair of raspberry pink velvet bellbottoms that I wore with a lovely white ruffle trimmed blouse. I also made halter tops that I wore with shorts or hip hugger bellbottoms.

One of the most expensive outfits that I bought was paisley outfit of hip hugger bellbottoms and a bare midriff top.

It was so colorful with orange, red, yellow, blue and green paisley. The top had long sleeves with buttoned cuffs and it tied under the bust. The bell part of the pants had an insert of another fabric that made the bells wider.

My little girls loved that outfit and told me that I looked like Cher. I loved that outfit too, but I don't have a picture of me wearing it. Back then, we weren't constantly taking pictures of ourselves.

One thing that I made in 1970, was a suede vest with long fringe. On the fringe, I strung some turquoise blue pony beads. The first time I wore it was to go see the movie "Love Story", with my husband. That was not a good choice to wear, it got tear stained. Smiley Sad  Eventually, the vest went into my kids Halloween costume trunk where capes, hats, wigs, masks, etc. were kept to create costumes.

Like you, I did embroidery of flowers, hearts, leaves and borders, on a blue denim shirt and on the pockets of jeans.

My grandmother taught me many embroidery stitches when I

was about eight years old. I loved doing embroidery, macrame and so many crafts and different kinds of needlework, back then.

I made a macrame drawstring handbag, a macrame window curtain, plant hangars and that iconic macrame owl

wall hanging with the big brown wooden beads for eyes.

Did you ever see Ojo de Dios? Mexican eye of God.

I made three big ones for my living room wall, one hot pink, one turquoise and one gold. The center one was the largest, with a smaller one at each side.They were made of yarn and wooden dowels, with a yarn tassel at each end of the horizontal dowels. They were pretty and I thought that they were the coolest things. I loved my gold and white living room with a gold shag rug. ( you can probably Google it to see an image)

When I was a Campfire, Blue Bird leader, I taught my group of girls how to make Ojo de Dios, using popsicle sticks

and yarn.

In my living room, I had a tall woven basket vase. In it, I had tall flowers that I made out of crepe paper, in pretty colors. Each petal was individually cut and shaped by curling and stretching the crepe paper. They were very realistic.

The 70's were such fun with all the arts and crafts.

It seems that you and I were a lot alike, being into fashion in the 60's and 70's. It was a fun time, with a lot of great music, too. Great memories.

@Enufstuff @Biftu 

You two sound like my "sisters from another mother"! I was sewing those same outfits, adding embroidery, doing macrame and making Ojo de Dios, too. The late 60s and the 70s were a great time to be creative and crafty.  I kept one pair of corduroy bell bottoms and my "going away outfit" that I sewed for my honeymoon.  Super short mini skirt - oh my.  And it was 100% polyester double knit in a bright geometric print.  That sucker could probably be in a museum as the exhibit of early 70s clothing.  And we thought we were all that, ha ha!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am sorry but the 1960's were bell bottoms, mini skirts and granny dresses. 

@I am still oxox  That's what I remember from the 60's. I was in college in the late 60's. I never saw anyone in stirrup pants.  It was hip huggers bell bottom pants, mini skirts and sleeveless a line shift dresses inspired by Jackie Kennedy. 

I remember ankle length slim slacks but no stirrup pants.  I had a pair of white gogo boots. 

@50Mickey  I was in 6th grade in 1966 and wore short what go go boots and mini skirts 

@I am still oxox 

If you were only in 6th grade in 1966, that explains why you wouldn't remember some of these styles.  Those stirrup pants were popular in the early 60s when you would have been a little girl.  Fashion (and music) styles really changed from the early 60s to the second half of the 60s. Those of us who are older remember the early 1960s as well as the late 1960s.  I was a senior in high school in 1966 and fashion had changed a lot, particularly with the British influence. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags   1964 - Carnaby Street fashions, Mondrian and Pucci designs,Twiggy, the British invasion.  Remember the Beatles haircuts in 1964, their skinny pants and skinny neckties?

By 1969, the Summer of Woodstock, everyone

was wearing jeans, some in bell bottoms, t- shirts, denim shirts,

longer hair on guys and very long for hair for girls.

In the Woodstock video, it was a sea of blue,

with some wearing BoHo Hippie fashions. Girls in flowy dresses and tops.

We have had two Woodstock parties at my house. My oldest son was born the Summer of Woodstock.

I have a very large peace sign hanging on the front of my house.

Regular Contributor

I got a pair of Stirrup pants.  They were red.  We called them stretch pants.  I was about 8 I guess. my mother made me wear a Mohair sweater with them. ugh that thing was like a porcupine.  

We had to wear skirts and  dresses to school. One time in winter 1968-69, it was soooo bitter cold with snow on the ground.  I wore pants to school.   I was in 6th grade and so afraid I would be sent home.

It was Spring of '71 when all the girls in 8th grade boycotted the dress  code and we wore jeans to school.  Our English teacher was really annoyed that girls would organize and boycott! Imagine that happening today over just wearing pants!

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@shoesnbags   1964 - Carnaby Street fashions, Mondrian and Pucci designs,Twiggy, the British invasion.  Remember the Beatles haircuts in 1964, their skinny pants and skinny neckties?

We have had two Woodstock parties at my house. My oldest son was born the Summer of Woodstock.

@Enufstuff 

All such wonderful memories!  Wasn't it great to be a teenager in the 60s? The British Invasion brought such a change in our clothing styles, and then the hippie look as we moved into the 70s.  Great times!

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Enufstuff 

All such wonderful memories!  Wasn't it great to be a teenager in the 60s? The British Invasion brought such a change in our clothing styles, and then the hippie look as we moved into the 70s.  Great times!

@shoesnbags  For sure!  And the younger women can thank our generation for the freedoms women now have.  We made great strides.