Trusted Contributor

Casual Wardrobe for Women Over 50

Hello, I'm new to this forum, forgive me if my question has made the rounds several times before.

I am 60 years old and for the past 8 -10 years, I've been exasperated by trying to find fashionable, casual clothing and footwear for women over 50 years old.

I find an abundance of clothing for the 20,30 and early 40 somethings but anything beyond that looks like senior center lunch wear. I'm 5'2", 106 lbs., keep my hair cut in a trendy hairstyle and don't want to wear clothes like my 85-year-old next door neighbor. I also don't want to dress like I'm trying to look 30 years old.

I live in a small city and the retail selections are fair to poor.  I do quite a bit of online shopping for clothing in between making  375 mile round trips to the nearest metropolitan area where shopping is more plentiful.  Any suggestions on a few pieces I could purchase and changeup with accessories to have a few different looks?

Many thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Casual Wardrobe for Women Over 50

@Quinny...I'm over 50...by 1 year...ha!  Anyhoo, I work from home, so I no longer have to wear office attire.  However, I do like to get dressed every day to look presentable (not like I'm doing housework on a Saturday).  I buy most of my clothing from QVC.  Some of my favorites are Denim & Company, Quacker Factory, Susan Graver, Isaac Mizrahi (his more casual attire; I do buy his dressier things for when I do have to make an appearance at the office).  I've also tried some Belle by Kim Gravel pieces, but honestly, I've had too much sizing trouble with her line so I backed off.  For footwear, I am totally married to the Vionic brand, because they are orthotic and have pretty styles.  And of course, working from home, I'm a huge fan of Carole Hochman's pajamas...LOL!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

My suggestion would be to keep it simple with interchangable separates - fitted tees, tailored trousers, simple accessories like jewelry, shrugs, vests and some comfortable simple dresses.

Be careful of prints and stay away from shapeless tops or dresses with a shark bite hem or ruffle at the hip.

Check out Joan Rivers or even the current FLOTUS. 

Can't go wrong with the classics.    Boyfriend shirt and well fitting trouser or skirt.

Esteemed Contributor

I've found that it's important to find a few brands where you understand their sizing and then stick with them. I'm 70 but I don't want to look like my 85 year old neighbor either! From the Q, I like Susan Graver tops in Liquid Knit, Isaac tops and 24/7 pants, and the Active line from D&C. If you make trips to your closest metro area for shopping, I'd do the same thing, i.e., find a few brands you like and trust from Macy's and then use their online sales which are great and usually include free shipping. Also from the Q for winter wear, I got hooked on Cuddl Duds fleece leggings - wore them everywhere and all the time this past winter.

Regular Contributor

Here is a link to a blog I enjoy reading.  I do not spend the kind of money that the author does on her clothes.  However,  she has great ideas about dressing when you are older.  It's called "Style at a Certain Age".  Here is the link.  I hope this will give you some helpful ideas.   https://www.styleatacertainage.com/

Honored Contributor

@Quinny

I'll be 58 in August myself but I don't dress with an eye to age but what works for my body. My taste hasn't changed. I'm still attracted to the same things. The only thing I can think of offhand that I avoid now are the shorter lengths on skirts and dresses; not because I'm 57 but because my legs are not what they used to be! LOL

I say wear what works and what flatters your figure

Respected Contributor

I bought a couple pair of the AnyBody Cozy Knit pants and 2 colors of the AnyBody Cozy Knit French Terry cardigans. I have H by Halston casual shirts to wear and switch out with them, but I also like shopping Macy's online (where at times I find something from Charter Club, Alfani, Style & Co., or Calvin Klein.) I bought a blue and a white button down 3/4 bell sleeve blouse to change out with gray heather Anybody pleated wide leg cozy knit pants when I don't want to be quite so casual. I wear other knit pants, jeans, jeggings, leggings with a tunic, etc. I think it's a matter of finding your style.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some bloggers and YouTube people I like include Dominique Sachse, Audrey Coyne (who although is a bit younger dresses in a classic style), Susan after 60 (dotcom) who was in her 50s when she began this blog and who dresses in a suitable style for anyone over 40, and you might like fabulous 50s although she (hersel) dresses a bit young for me (in the 60-plus category).  I must say, however, she features advice from Susanafter60 on her blog.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Quinny

I'll be 58 in August myself but I don't dress with an eye to age but what works for my body. My taste hasn't changed. I'm still attracted to the same things. 

I say wear what works and what flatters your figure

——————————————

I totally agree with this. My casual wear is usually jeans or leggings with printed, unstructured, sleeveless tops in warm weather, unstructured vests/sweaters in cold weather(tops are always longer with leggings for me). I’m really uncomfortable in jackets and structured pieces even though they are often recommended for women my age. 

Respected Contributor

What you choose to wear should make you feel comfortable, attractive and above all happy. 

You'll hear a lot of "rules" about what to wear if you are over 50. They are not rules. They are opinions. 

If you like soft, drapey clothes, don't buy structured, fitted clothing.  If you like color and prints, then by all means wear them. If you want to dip your toes into a trend like uneven hems and tunics, try them in an inexpensive piece until you are sure.

I actually fi nd it easier to dress now, at 63, then I did when I was 40.  I know what i like and what flatters me and I don't try to emulate the styles of people who someone dictates I should copy.