Honored Contributor

Re: COWL NECKS VS. TURTLE NECKS

When I was a kid I wore turtlenecks all the time.  I remember my grandmother saying that she could never wear a turtleneck because they made her feel like she was choking.

Fast forward a whole lot of years; I seldom wear turtlenecks because I don't like the feeling around my neck and they make me too hot.  I occasionally wear a loose turtleneck or a non-ginormas cowl, but generally I don't like things too close at the neck.

Honored Contributor

I much prefer the look of turtlenecks, but not the tight, thin kind.  I actually prefer the thicker kind, a little looser.  I like the mock neck too.

I have never liked cowl necks.  I just don't like the look on me.  Also, in the past when I tried to wear them, getting that cowl right under a jacket was always uncomfortable or didn't look right. 

Respected Contributor

I prefer a dickey - not as chokey as a turtleneck.

But rarely wear any of the 3

Trusted Contributor

I like the look of both, probably preferring turtlenecks.  But I find some materials do irritate my neck.  I do have quite a few cowlnecks too.  

Esteemed Contributor

I like mock turtlenecks as they are less confining on my neck especially under a crew neck sweater.  I still wear regular ones too if it's really cold and I'm outdoors.  Sleeveless mock ones are also good under blazers or cardies 

Honored Contributor

When I was much younger (gee, time flys/flies), I used to almost always wear turtlenecks.

I like both, as long as the fabric is soft.

My skin has been very sensitive to anything rough/scratchy.  I always wondered why my mom used to almost always wear silky blouses and tops.  She asked me to cut off all of the labels/tags, which irritated her neck. Now I know.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Cowl necks for me as long as they aren't huge and a pain to deal with to get it to look halfway decent.  I'm just not a fan of the look of turtlenecks and when I tried to wear them years ago, I felt claustrophobic.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I do not like either style. I would never wear a turtle neck since it touches my throat. Cowl necks could possibly be adjusted to stay away from my sensitive throat area, but they are not worth the struggle. I much prefer V-neck or button front.

Honored Contributor

No t-necks for me. I prefer wearing lightweight infinity scarves to get the look of a cowl. That way I can remove the infinity scarf and be on my way w/o the fuss.

Honored Contributor

I'm not at all a fan of cowl necks.  I much prefer turtle necks or mock turtle necks.