Honored Contributor

Re: COWL NECKS VS. TURTLE NECKS

Turtlenecks are my faves, though I do have a couple of Lisa Rinna cowl neck tops that are really well-desgned.  The collars lay perfectlly.

I've worn turtlenecks since I "discovered" them in 1963.  I still remember my first one.  

I have a long thin neck and like the turtleneck collars to be tall and snug.

(SG's mock necks are awful .... I've tried them ... they don't fit ... loose and floppy on me, but if someone has a shorter, thicker neck - they probably fit..) 

Respected Contributor

I don't care for cowl or turtleneck. Give me a mock neck top or a crew neck.

Honored Contributor

I've never liked cowl necks, they just don't look right on me. My favorite is the mock neck, it is more flattering.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love turtlenecks. Black ones made of a quality knit fabric. I find the black ones look best on me and I can wear almost any accessories with them. Not too tall or tight are the best.  I think I own 6 turtlenecks but no heavy or wool ones. I almost always wear a scarf or ruana with them. I just ordered a dark charcoal gray one I found on sale at Chicos to take to the mountains in November that is a heavier one . Cowl necks are not very flattering on me, but I like how they look on others. Mocknecks seemed dated to me. Not a fan. I have never been a fan of colored turtlenecks. 

Honored Contributor

I wear turtlenecks all the time in winter.  They are basic layering pieces. Cowl necks are more of a fashion piece. 

Honored Contributor

I wear both.  I find cowl necks a bit more cool to wear.

Respected Contributor

I love the "look" of cowl necks...on other people! I gave up on them because I could never get them to look right on me. I don't care for turtlenecks on me, just too much material too close-fitting.

I like mock necks a lot, though...I really like a mock-neck top worn under a cardigan in the late fall/winter. I live in SC where it rarely gets really cold.

Respected Contributor

Not crazy about either, but would pick cowl neck over turtle. Can't stand anything up around my neck.

Unless we have a longer, elegant neck, it's not the best choice, for most. My neck is average, but turtles still make my head look like it's sitting right on top of my shoulders. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love high necklines and wear both turtleneck and cowel plus mock neck. I'm blessed if I find a top with a nehru or mandarin collar.

On outerwear I look for stand up collars. I wear neck gaiters daily throughout winter.

Found this on "Ask a Stylist"/Stitchfix website.

A classic turtleneck has a more fitted neckline and hits one to two inches below the chin.  

. . .

Wear a turtleneck if you have:

1. A long neck
  2. A long face
  3. A short torso
  4. Narrow shoulders

The looser cowl neck sweater has a funnel neck and drapes to show off your neckline. 

. . .

Wear a cowl neck if you have:

1. A long neck
  2. Small or large bust
  3. A larger head in comparison to your upper body
  4. A larger bottom half

Honored Contributor

Cowlnecks and turtlenecks bother me and get in my way.  I like mock necks best, although I don't like to wear them with a necklace. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment