Honored Contributor

CHANGING TO FALL/WINTER CLOTHES

When do you choose to change over to a more fall/winter wardrobe?

I used to watch my live talk shows and by Sept. 1st, no more pastels, sleeveless and summer fabrics. 

Many of my clothes are 3 season and I just pack away the lighter colors/fabrics.

What's your hint to put away the more summer fashions (assuming you don't live in a 4 season warm area)?

Respected Contributor

Re: CHANGING TO FALL/WINTER CLOTHES

I live in Wisconsin so the joke here is if you don't like the weather wait 6hrs bc it will change. We are all over the board in temps at any time of year so I never put away any clothes. I have my warm clothes and cold clothes available year round. Most I know around here do the same. 

Honored Contributor

The temps in my area stay warm and may even be hot through September so I continue to wear summer things through that month. I will wear my walk shorts, white pants, sandals, etc. if the temperature is warm enough. 

I switch over to fall colors and items in October. I have a few short sleeve but not summery tops that I can wear on a warm day in October. I start wearing boots, tights, suede/leather, etc. on cool days in October. 

Respected Contributor

I'm in the suburbs of New York City.  I almost always wear my summer clothes through September.  Occasionally there may be a chilly day calling for a sweater, but not often.

As for the talk show hosts, they wear sleeveless all year long.  In the dead of winter I want to tell them to at least add a jacket.  I've seen a few wear white sleeveless with black tights and high boots.

Honored Contributor

Right now it is really chilly in suburban NYC. I usually wait until mid September to change my closet, but I always keep out a few crop pants, and short sleeve shirts

@muttmom wrote:

I'm in the suburbs of New York City.  I almost always wear my summer clothes through September.  Occasionally there may be a chilly day calling for a sweater, but not often.

As for the talk show hosts, they wear sleeveless all year long.  In the dead of winter I want to tell them to at least add a jacket.  I've seen a few wear white sleeveless with black tights and high boots.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I'm in Ohio and our weather has already been all over the place. Saturday night we were outside at a dock party in long pants and jackets/sweaters because it was chilly.  Friday our high is supposed to be 68.

I don't typically transition my closet until sometime in October though.  We've had hot and humid days through September here although they are calling for a cooler than normal month for us. 

When I start going into my spare bedroom closet to grab fall clothes more than I'm grabbing clothes from my own bedroom closet, I'll make the full transition.   

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t wear some of my brightly colored dresses after Labor Day.  Old habits die hard.  Other than that much of my clothing is pretty universal, like ¾ length sleeves and cotton cardigans.  

Honored Contributor

I start wearing my lighter weight shirts in darker, fall colors and even those 3/4 sleeve shirts which I really don't like. When my arms get cold I dig out the long sleeves and jackets. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It depends on the weather.  It can still be quite warm in KY through the end of September and sometimes into October.  I don't wear white pants or pastels much after the middle of September, but as long as it is warm, I still dress in summer like attire.

Respected Contributor

I'm in Chicago, so it can still get pretty warm even in October.  You really never know.

I might go into the few couple weeks of September with white jeans, but not much past that.  I don't wear pastels ever, so that's not a problem.  

All my clothes are in my closet.  I don't move anything around. 

We've had some chilly evenings.  I'm not ready to break out new Fall clothes yet, but soon...