Respected Contributor

Re: CHANGING TO FALL/WINTER CLOTHES

@Shanus

I wait for an ugly, rainy day in late September to change over to the new season.....but I always leave a few items out that will take care of a warm or cold snap.  That's much easier than waiting for the inevitable weather change !

Shoes and Easy Spirit clogs are retired for the season only for color:  light vs. dark.  Dress shoes ( which I rarely have an occasion to use anymore ) stay in their see-through shelving with the zippered plastic to keep them dust free.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I live in Atlanta. Summer clothes for us through October at least, if not longer. 

I'm fortunate in that we have a really large closet. All of my clothes are in there. It takes me less than five minutes to move the winter clothes to the front and push the summer clothes to the back. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I don't wear obviously "summer" clothes after Labor Day.  So - next week I'll take a couple of days and switch shoes and clothes in the closets.  

Valued Contributor

I have all of my clothes in one closet so there really isn't a need to change over anymore. I put anything summery to the back of the rod, but  they're easy to reach if a warm day comes along in early fall.

It's supposed to be mid 60's for our highs this week so I'm ready for fall clothes anytime now. Most of what I have works three seasons, at least, and I appreciate that I can layer and get lots of use from my clothes that way.  pinky

Esteemed Contributor

All my clothes are in one closet.   I'm working on a better organizational system, but right now it's color coded with summer tops on the left and, moving right, transitional to winter clothes.  I'm sure everyone gets that, but, for example, all my blue tops are together on hangers with the lightest, summery blue tops on the left, transitional pieces in the middle, and heavyweight on the right and so on grouped by color.    

Jeans, heavy sweaters, and all scarves are on shelves and organized by season.   The items on shelves are the items I switch around each season...in summer, the ligher jeans, sweaters, scarves go on top of the pile...in cooler months, the heavier things go on top.

In my opinion, my area has predominately three seasons, winter being so short and mild compared to other places that I don't have many "strictly winter" items...it is downright hot until mid-Oct and sometimes late Oct (during the day).    

I don't have anything stored in boxes or under the bed or in another room.  I have to say that I kind of miss this...IDK what to call it...this ritual?   The ushering in the seasons marked by changing out your closet from one season to the next...always loved doing that on a cool, rainy day.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

When the weather dictates it. I generally only wear jackets and sweaters when the weather requires them, I'll wear boots anytime I want to but take advantage of being able to wear strappy sandals and heels in summer because I'd get frostbite if I tried it in winter and some of my shoes don't work with tights or over the knee socks. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I live in MA and 9/1 isn't never has been Fall.  It's 68 today and will be in the 70's for the next few days.  Why would I start wearing Fall clothes now?  We do have long winters and we don't really get spring weather anymore, so don't go into Fall/Winter clothes and accessories until the weather changes.  I dress for the weather.  There are plenty of 70 degree days ahead and we'll even have a few more 80 degree days in September and October.   I do put my colored sandals away around mid September and wear black suede and brown leather sandals.  I switch out the pastel bags for brown and black bags and wear cardigans and jackets on cool days and nights but I wear the same skirts, dresses etc that I wore all summer.   Late October, early November I'm in my Fall/winter wardrobe....and I'm there until late April.

Honored Contributor

i dont pack away any of my clothing so it is all readily accessible.

i go by what the weather is and not what season it is. if it is a warm .day in november, i dont have any problems wearing a short sleeved shirt or tank. if it is a chilly night in july i dont mind wearing a black jacket to wear on top of a summer shirt.

i dont follow the "white rule" at all.

if you see me without a coat in december when it is 45 degrees, please dont judge me......i have an internal fire that keeps me more than warm. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I live in southern California and switch out the end of October, though some clothes are in my closet year-round.

Honored Contributor

I quit wearing the really summery things the end of August...I wash things as I go, knowing that I won't wear them again this summer season, and by mid to the end of October the closet transition is done.

My DH's closet is pretty simple....so his closet is easy to transition.