Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Never heard of them.  Apparently this is a baby boom clothing when they were young.  Had to google them.

No, you didn't "have" to google.  There were many posters who responded with accurate and informative information, before you posted.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   yes, I remember Koret...don't think I've seen it around recently, though.

What a great job that was for you!  

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@bmorechick   I saw them.  I never heard of the brand (too young) and googled it.  I got Dollar Stores with that brand selling for $5.00, $7.00.  Disbelief....Hideous clothes. Were these tops saved from 50 years ago?  I guess Dollar Stores are moving in to fashion.

Hideous comment...and your Google skills are lacking.

As numerous posters have stated, the original Bobbie Brooks line was pricey and sold only in upscale department stores.  The junior line was discontinued in 1986.  

Whatever you found by googling is clearly not what is being discussed here.

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama   now that you mention it, I don't remember any discount stores in my area, either.  Clothing was more expensive but better made and lasted longer. 

Closets in homes were very small, compared to those in newer homes, but everyone owned fewer items.  Didn't need big closets!

Esteemed Contributor

I loved their clothes but they were cost prohibitive for my parents.  I usually got one outfit per year unless I scrimped and saved my money to buy more.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@september 

Every now and then I see it in a catalog, but it is a shadow of it's former self Cat Sad

The store in St. Louis that became Dillards was called Stix, Baer & Fuller.  It was a VERY nice store....and they used to have a huge department full of Koret.

Those were the days, my friend....!  I was young and pretty and wore mini-skirts and had the world by the tail!

It was a fun time for me, and nice memories.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

Nice memories!  Just curious where those of you who purchased clothing items from this brand...what area of the country did you live in at that time?

There was a John Cougar Mellancamp song, called “Jack and Diane” that even mentioned Bobbie Brooks....asked my friend if she had heard of this song, and she said he was from the East Coast, too.   Thought his music and this brand, must have been all over the US.  

@september 

I think he's from Indiana.

I grew up in the DC area and then moved to S. Florida. I've heard the name but have no experience with the line.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@september wrote:

Nice memories!  Just curious where those of you who purchased clothing items from this brand...what area of the country did you live in at that time?

There was a John Cougar Mellancamp song, called “Jack and Diane” that even mentioned Bobbie Brooks....asked my friend if she had heard of this song, and she said he was from the East Coast, too.   Thought his music and this brand, must have been all over the US.  

@september 

I think he's from Indiana.

I grew up in the DC area and then moved to S. Florida. I've heard the name but have no experience with the line.

@september @Andreatoo .  Yes, I agree with Andrea. JCM is from Indiana.

Trusted Contributor

@september : Tucson in the early 60s and going forward. My sister and I wore the same size so we shared the outfits.

Trusted Contributor

@september @Witchy Woman : Remember Koret too. Brands I had forgotten about but fun to reminisce.

We grew up in a single parent home so money was really tight. Most of our shopping was at Lerners and we would get some of the most compliments when we wore those clothes.

We had a bachelor uncle who made really good money so on Friday's he'd give us our “allowances” which was quite generous so my sister and I would pool our money together and buy ourselves the more expensive items mom couldn’t afford. We had a nice assortment of Capezios. There was a shoe store here in town that after Christmas  would have a two for one sale and since we wore the same size shoe we'd each get two pair and share.