Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@TeezNu wrote:

I was in my local Dillard's Tuesday morning, in the women's clothing department - a very large area.  There was no one around except just one other customer, who stopped me and asked if I'd seen a salesperson.  I told her "no", and that "we are on our own".  Guess it's a good thing I didn't find anything to buy - I would have had to go to other floors to find someone to take my payment.  😕

@TeezNu,I know.  My last year of teaching the manager stopped me in his reception area and asked me who I was.  He said I was always nicely dressed when I came in the store and thought I was a personal shopper.  (I had brought a senior student to apply for a position.). He asked me to take their petite dept when I left school in four months.  A few days later I agreed.  I increased sales 56% in six minths and killed my sciatic nerve.

Dillards has about done themself in because they won't have coupons and society expects coupons.  They resticker items to be dollars less.  The sticker is white and can't be seen without looking straight at it. If they don't have a lot of revenue, they can't hire associates. You can always take things to cosmetics.

Dillards does have some beautiful things.

@ECBG@TeezNu: l don't have any Dillard's stores near where l live. I peruse their website often, and they offer many items that would interest me. The problem for me is their shipping charges. They need to become competitive with Nordstrom, Macy's, and others, by offering free shipping with no minimum purchase, or a minimum of $99 for example.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@MercysMom wrote:

Three years ago I went to work part-time at Belk to help with boost my income. Still had my full-time job. I wasn't hired as seasonal. I was hired a permanent part-time. Started in September and worked 20 - 25 hours each week. Worked some crazy hours when the holidays came. As soon as the holiday rush was over, they cut my hours to 0 for a full month. I'd call to get my schedule and they said they were having to give the full-time employees the hours first and they were barely able to give them 37 hours per week. After 4 weeks, they gave me 4 hours per week. They said it would pick back up in March. I gave up and went back to working one job. 

@MercysMomFull time has to have at least 30 hrs a week. They're priority. If they can't generate sales, they can't make payroll.  Your experience probably occured in January when winter stock has hanger fatigue and summer stock isn't quite in full force.  (When I worked at Chicos this past fall I was told I wouldn't get any hours Jan-Feb.).

Everyone goes down to low hours during that time.

Super Contributor

Re: Belk Update

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@TeezNu wrote:

I was in my local Dillard's Tuesday morning, in the women's clothing department - a very large area.  There was no one around except just one other customer, who stopped me and asked if I'd seen a salesperson.  I told her "no", and that "we are on our own".  Guess it's a good thing I didn't find anything to buy - I would have had to go to other floors to find someone to take my payment.  😕

@TeezNu,I know.  My last year of teaching the manager stopped me in his reception area and asked me who I was.  He said I was always nicely dressed when I came in the store and thought I was a personal shopper.  (I had brought a senior student to apply for a position.). He asked me to take their petite dept when I left school in four months.  A few days later I agreed.  I increased sales 56% in six minths and killed my sciatic nerve.

Dillards has about done themself in because they won't have coupons and society expects coupons.  They resticker items to be dollars less.  The sticker is white and can't be seen without looking straight at it. If they don't have a lot of revenue, they can't hire associates. You can always take things to cosmetics.

@ECBG   Yes, they DO have beautiful things, and I very much enjoy shopping there, but only buy when something is marked down, or they have the extra 30-40% off, which seems to currently occur around the last week of certain months.  Also, the Dillard stores are never trashed out, like the Macy's stores.  In my area (Dallas) they have been VERY slow to mark things down, though now you can generally find some sort of sale rack at any time of the month.  They usually have a great sale on January 1st - the parking lot is packed, and the store is mobbed - you have to pack your patience.

I checked in to getting their store credit card - not because I needed the credit, but hoping to get extra discounts.  Only benefit to me was getting 24 hour early notice of a sale, which I could certainly pass on.

I have no idea how they've stayed in business.  They are a publicly traded company (DDS) so they do have accountability to stockholders.  There is plenty of retail competition here in the Dallas area - Neiman's, Nordstroms, Macy's, Belk's, etc. just to name a few.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

@TeezNu wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@TeezNu wrote:

@ECBG   Yes, they DO have beautiful things, and I very much enjoy shopping there, but only buy when something is marked down, or they have the extra 30-40% off, which seems to currently occur around the last week of certain months.  Also, the Dillard stores are never trashed out, like the Macy's stores.  In my area (Dallas) they have been VERY slow to mark things down, though now you can generally find some sort of sale rack at any time of the month.  They usually have a great sale on January 1st - the parking lot is packed, and the store is mobbed - you have to pack your patience.

I checked in to getting their store credit card - not because I needed the credit, but hoping to get extra discounts.  Only benefit to me was getting 24 hour early notice of a sale, which I could certainly pass on.

I have no idea how they've stayed in business.  They are a publicly traded company (DDS) so they do have accountability to stockholders.  There is plenty of retail competition here in the Dallas area - Neiman's, Nordstroms, Macy's, Belk's, etc. just to name a few.

@TeezNu,I'm not surprised.  Dillards as a company won't mark things down until the very last opportunity.  According to managers, the big 40% off of any marked down item at the end of every few months is their "wonderful, fantastic" answer to that.

Personally, I think they need to get someone in marketing that is current with the buying habits of consumers today.  They're behind the times.

They do want to be with the more "elite" consumer, however.