Honored Contributor

Re: Being overcharged at the grocery store???

I always check because with so many thousands of items and so many different human beings involved in getting the price right, it's easy to imagine errors. Because the errors I've seen are so different from one time to the next, I think it's the humans, not company policies - so I just check and get a correction.

Last week it was for $2.00 - as I checked my receipt, I was standing st the end of the counter and saw the cashier hadn't given me credit for a $2 coupon and right there it was hidden beside her keyboard! Yes, I had to stop at the service center on my way out, but I don't have any other way to earn $2!

And now that you all started me thinking, I believe I'll keep track in 2915 to see how much money I really save by checking. In shopping channel language, I guess I'm now at just under 1/2 a cent a day!

Honored Contributor

Millie....hopefully by 2915 they will have perfected the process! Iknowiknow, you meant 2015, but 2915 is so very "George Jetson"!! I read this...made me giggle!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Looks like this is a real hot issue. Last market trip a $2.99 item rang at $4.99 and I pointed it out to the cashier and acted put-out when she should have offered an apology. Happens all the time and I so far have not had an undercharged item. I wonder how many customers were over-charged on this by $2.00 & did not notice?

Nice to know that I am not the only one who tells the cashier, "please don't start scanning until I finish unloading the cart". Customers really have to be on their toes, as they also forget to scan the coupons. No wonder I am fatigued when I leave the store.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 mustbuyless said:
On 1/16/2015 Ptaz said:

Kroger drives me crazy with how they do their pricing. The discounts don't show up until near the end of the transaction. I've sat and watched the digital readout of the items and it's always "i'll come off when we total it up". Makes it hard to catch problems and I've been caught a many a time with a dispute on a charge that makes the line behind me grow longer. Wish they were a little more clear with it.

Kroger is where I get screwed too, regularly. So much so that I wondered if was deliberate! Unfortunately they have the best produce in town. And unfortunately again I tend to shop just a few times a month and then buy a ton each visit, so checking is a pain. It's so annoying.

Kroger's does not value you or your money, especially if you are a working woman. Korger's was one of the companies who wrote to Texas Governor Rick Perry and asked him to veto a fair pay act for women that would make it easier in Texas for women to sue a company who had paid them unfairly for a period of time.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2013/nov/25/senfronia-thompson/macys-other-retailers-aske...

Honored Contributor

If your store-of-choice has a self-serve area (here in DFW, most Walmarts & Krogers have SS), check out yourself for total control.

Trusted Contributor

I pay attention as items are being rung up. If something rings up wrong and it's an easy fix, I will alert the cashier. If not, I wait until I have paid and head over to Customer Service. I mainly grocery shop at Harris Teeter and they are awesome at making their customers happy.

Respected Contributor

Yes! Speaking of Target, you just reminded me of a fairly recent trip where the cashier actually rang up the same $16 item twice! Obvioulsy I couldn't miss an error like that, but when I brought it to her attention, she tried to deny it! The lady behind me in line actually came to my defense. After the cashier finally refunded my money to me, the other lady said, "I can't believe she didn't even say she was sorry!"

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/16/2015 StylishLady said:

I'm thinking mistakes like that are caused by wrong data input into the stores computerized systems. Are there any times where you were undercharged?

I've been undercharged especially on clothing or like it items without a tag. The cashier will reference a binder and if he/she comes up blind, will ask me what the price was listed on a like item, if I notied one.

Last month, I was shopping to get my GD Hello Kitty slippers on sale at a specific store, because I wouldn't purchase them otherwise. Hello Kitty really wasn't the goal, it was the way they were made: I thought the design would lend them to stay on her feet. The slippers in her size were the last ones they had and had no price tag on them. The cashier did everything she could to try to find out the price, then asked me if $5.00 would be OK. Heck, yes! Because they were advertised at $12.97/pair.

This has happened to me quite a few times, but not at the grocery store...

At the grocery store I pretty much know what I should be charged and watch that electronic screen like an eagle and have been known to say, "Stop, please, that's a wrong price up there." I usually get the price I know I should be getting. If not, no purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/16/2015 2blonde said:

Yes! Speaking of Target, you just reminded me of a fairly recent trip where the cashier actually rang up the same $16 item twice! Obvioulsy I couldn't miss an error like that, but when I brought it to her attention, she tried to deny it! The lady behind me in line actually came to my defense. After the cashier finally refunded my money to me, the other lady said, "I can't believe she didn't even say she was sorry!"

I like Target and would have been really, really ticked. These stores always seem to have employee praise forms to complete, but what do you do without difficulty if you really want to bring something like this to management's attention without taking up half your day? There's no excuse for such behavior and besides, she was attempting to rip you off. If successful and if you had paid cash, it would have been easy for her to dip into the till.

If it were me, I would have gone in search of her supervisor immediately. There are too many people out there these days with a misdemeanor/felony mindset.

Esteemed Contributor

Within the last month at Target they had workout pants on sale for $10 off; at least that is what the sign said. I always scan the items they say are on sale myself to make sure they have adjusted the price, and in this instance they hadn't. I doubled checked to make sure I had the right item, which I did. I decided I would check online when I got home to see if they were priced correctly there and then order them if they were. But when I got to the Target site, anything I searched for wouldn't load. I never went back to check again, so I saved myself $29.99. I didn't REALLY need another pair of pants, I just wanted them.

That same trip to Target I bought several bottles of liquid hand soap. When I was loading my bags into my car, I saw that one of the bottles was loose in the cart and I figured it had fallen out of the bag. I checked the receipt when I got home and I had not paid for it, I had missed it when I was unloading my cart at the register. I felt horrible! So the next trip to Target I took the bottle with me, put it in my cart and paid for it when I checked out. It was just $2.49, but it really bothered me until I could pay for it.

A few weeks ago I went through the Starbucks drive through for coffee, and when I got to the pickup window, the cashier asked me if I would like a free pastry that someone had ordered and not picked up. Not the first time Starbucks has given me a free item. Sometimes if they think you have had to wait too long in line they will give you your order for free.