Honored Contributor

Re: A.M. Style Live Chat, 7:00, 9/12

Oh wow, the black boots too!
Yes the skulls are easier for me to see now.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Lola, congratulations!  You deserve those beautiful pink boots.  

LTT1,  what's new with you?

I haven't done any fashion shopping this week, but I am a Princess because I had my Crown put in on Thursday.  Lol.

We have had rain  every day but  Monday.  It's going to rain today too.  

It's supposed  to be  sunny & 70'a for a week starting tomorrow.  YIPPIE.

I am heading back to bed.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@lolakimono 

Your days sound horrific. I wonder what the long-term effects of distance learning will be.

@lolakimono @magicmoodz @sligo @Jtdmum @Starfish 

I agree. Just horrific!

DSIL mentioned about the distance learning. With very young children, even getting finally logged into the site is very time consuming. They have to type in the full address... this age would absolutely need a parent to supervise.

@LTT1 

Until HS our kids can't type in an address.  They can only click on links.

Think of "whitehouse.com vs. whitehouse.gov."Cat Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@lolakimono 

Your days sound horrific. I wonder what the long-term effects of distance learning will be.

I agree. Just horrific!

DSIL mentioned about the distance learning. With very young children, even getting finally logged into the site is very time consuming. They have to type in the full address... this age would absolutely need a parent to supervise.

@LTT1 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@lolakimono 

I agree. Just horrific!

@LTT1 

Many families here have created learning pods--hiring a teacher for small groups of kids. They will rotate homes so parents will only have to be available on certain days. I have never felt that same chronological age in a classroom is a precursor to success, but it will be interesting to follow success/failure.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz 

Yes, I do miss "dressing" for work.

I do NOT miss getting up at 3:40 to go to the gym.  I can get up at 5:30 now.  The tradeoff is that instead of being out a little after two on a Friday, I am now on the clock until 4:00 daily, which makes it difficult to get appointments.

Of course, subbing is a problem.

I have a teacher who is off on Monday.  I got a text from the person whose FULL TIME job it is to coordinate sub coverage asking me what MY plans were to cover her classes.

We are required to have an adult "supervise" a class virtually and take attendance, even when the teacher can simply assign work in Google Classroom for them to do that period.

However, you can only enter a classroom if you are a co-teacher, which I am for all my people, but no subs have access to Google Classrooms.

They're going to have training on Monday.

Uh, that's a bit too late.

So that was just Friday's drama.

They also required me to "co-teach" a wellness class three times a week with my first year teacher, but he is the teacher of record, so I can't really do anything.  I sign into the meet, monitor the chat, help him by posting the links that the students need to open, but it's another waste of time.  They get a grade in this class, but since I can't give them grades as I'm not the teacher of record, it's just another thing to steal time in the workday.  We also have kids who pop in for a minute and then leave the call, so they can say that they "attended."

Honored Contributor

I did pick up this (NWT) Pendleton/GAP denim jacket, in my school colors-

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@magicmoodz 

Yes, I do miss "dressing" for work.

I do NOT miss getting up at 3:40 to go to the gym.  I can get up at 5:30 now.  The tradeoff is that instead of being out a little after two on a Friday, I am now on the clock until 4:00 daily, which makes it difficult to get appointments.

Of course, subbing is a problem.

I have a teacher who is off on Monday.  I got a text from the person whose FULL TIME job it is to coordinate sub coverage asking me what MY plans were to cover her classes.

We are required to have an adult "supervise" a class virtually and take attendance, even when the teacher can simply assign work in Google Classroom for them to do that period.

However, you can only enter a classroom if you are a co-teacher, which I am for all my people, but no subs have access to Google Classrooms.

They're going to have training on Monday.

Uh, that's a bit too late.

So that was just Friday's drama.

They also required me to "co-teach" a wellness class three times a week with my first year teacher, but he is the teacher of record, so I can't really do anything.  I sign into the meet, monitor the chat, help him by posting the links that the students need to open, but it's another waste of time.  They get a grade in this class, but since I can't give them grades as I'm not the teacher of record, it's just another thing to steal time in the workday.  We also have kids who pop in for a minute and then leave the call, so they can say that they "attended."

@lolakimono 

And it's even worse than I thought. How can you sub and teach at the same time? Just add another monitor?

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono   So, just another day for you, nothing new? 😆😜

Is your superintendent tauting how well everything went the first week? 

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@lolakimono 

And it's even worse than I thought. How can you sub and teach at the same time? Just add another monitor?

@magicmoodz 

Excellent question.

Unprecedented, ad nauseum, is the answer for everything.  We are flying the plane as we are building it, as my principal says.  The daily to do list changes, and the directives from the BOE seem to change daily.  They gave us school based computers, for example, but disabled our ability to add Google Chrome extensions.  There are ones that are supposed to be patches, until Google updates features in Meet, like being able to see more than 16 people in a Meet.  So they publish instructions, like you can take attendance this way, but it requires an add-on that's blocked. This is why I bought a new laptop this summer, so that is the one that I use to teach on, and use the school based one for monitoring.

I understand the need to help with coverage in case of emergency absences.  My friend went for an endoscopy on Wednesday, for instance, and stopped breathing during the procedure, so they kept her for two nights in the hospital on oxygen.  She did not have any emergency digital sub plans created- YET, and her content area is hands on. Last week we had two sessions for Back to School, a.m. and p.m., so that is where our time went, to making vidoes of BTS and creating presentations for parents. They figured something out, because she is the department chair, so obviously they got something together.  I don't see why I would have to sub for anyone when it's SCHEDULED and there are people whose job it is to sub.

What they are doing is putting people to work in "other duties as assigned."  Much of what the admin. secretaries do is related to paperwork RE suspensions/expulsions, scheduling parent meetings, and photocopying.  Obviously they aren't doing any of that, so they are helping in other capacities.  Why not have them report to work later, for example, and then help with the three hours of evening materials distribution, instead of asking someone who is required to be present from 8-4 to work additional hours? 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono
Well, duh didn’t they think this would happen? (Kids just dropping in but not really attending)?
The PTB are going to need to let go of old fashioned ideas of “control” of students AND teachers because in this climate of learning by distance, they just can’t.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~